Why does evaporating water cause some water to be cooled and form ice?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of water evaporation and how it absorbs heat, making it an endothermic process. The question is raised about why some water is cooled and forms ice instead of evaporating. The answer is that this is due to a transfer of heat between water molecules, causing some to freeze while others evaporate. The speaker also mentions that there may be some selectivity in this process. The conversation also touches on the idea that evaporating water can cool its surroundings, as it "steals" heat from its surroundings. It is assumed that the process is adiabatic, meaning no heat is exchanged with the surroundings.
i_love_science
Homework Statement
Some water is placed in a sealed container connected to a vacuum pump and the pump is turned on. The water appears to boil and then freezes. Explain these changes by using the phase diagram for water.
Relevant Equations
phase diagram of water
Answer:
IMG_90824CF67764-1.jpeg

I know that when water evaporates, it absorbs heat, that's why the process is endothermic. I don't understand why the water would be cooled and some ice would form, when the water is supposed to evaporate. What causes some water to be separately cooled instead of evaporated?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the heat to evaporate water come from?

Likes Lord Jestocost, Bystander and Chestermiller
Borek said:
Where does the heat to evaporate water come from?
Other water molecules? Is this a transfer of heat from certain water molecules to others, causing some water to freeze while others to evaporate?
And is there some selectivity in this process? Thanks.

i_love_science said:
Other water molecules? Is this a transfer of heat from certain water molecules to others, causing some water to freeze while others to evaporate?

Yes, that's exactly what is happening.

And is there some selectivity in this process?

I am not sure what you mean by that.

Evaporating water will "steal" heat from its surroundings, no matter what they are, cooling everything around.

To be precise: questions makes and untold assumption that the process is adiabatic (or quick enough to be adiabatic in a good approximation) and no heat is exchanged with the surroundings. It is a reasonably good assumption though.

Likes i_love_science

1. What is a phase diagram for water?

A phase diagram for water is a graphical representation of the different physical states (or phases) that water can exist in at different combinations of temperature and pressure.

2. How many phases does water have on its phase diagram?

Water has three phases on its phase diagram: solid (ice), liquid (water), and gas (water vapor).

3. What is the triple point on the phase diagram for water?

The triple point on the phase diagram for water is the point where all three phases (solid, liquid, and gas) coexist in equilibrium. At this point, the temperature and pressure are at specific values: 0.01°C and 0.00604 atm, respectively.

4. What is the critical point on the phase diagram for water?

The critical point on the phase diagram for water is the point at which the liquid and gas phases become indistinguishable from each other. This occurs at a temperature of 374°C and a pressure of 217.7 atm.

5. How is the phase diagram for water useful?

The phase diagram for water is useful for understanding and predicting the behavior of water under different conditions. It is also important in various industries, such as in the production of ice cream and the design of steam turbines.