Why does flipping the order of numbers in a basic percent problem work?

• Thread starter starrynight108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percent
In summary, multiplying a percentage by a number is the same as multiplying that number by the percentage expressed as a decimal. This is because percentages are just ratios and can be treated in the same way as real numbers. Similarly, the commutative property of multiplication explains why flipping the order of the numbers in a multiplication problem does not change the result.
starrynight108
If I am looking for 88% 50, I can put the percent sign on the other number and flip the order of the numbers:

88% of 50 = 50% of 88 = 44.

I can solve this numerically but I don't understand conceptually why this works. Why does this work?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Conceptually it's the same thing as (2 x 3) = (3 x 2)
Percentages are ratios, but are equivalent to a real number and can be treated in exactly the same way.

Last edited:
This may help:

0.88*50 = (10/10) * 0.88*50 = (10*0.88) * (50/10) = 88 * 0.50

billy_joule said:
This may help:

0.88*50 = (10/10) * 0.88*50 = (10*0.88) * (50/10) = 88 * 0.50
Let me fix that for you ...
0.88*50 = (100/100) * 0.88*50 = (100*0.88) * (50/100) = 88 * 0.50

Thank you everyone. Mark44, thanks for clearing that up! This does make sense. It's basically the Commutative Property of Multiplication.

starrynight108 said:
Thank you everyone. Mark44, thanks for clearing that up! This does make sense. It's basically the Commutative Property of Multiplication.
It's a bit more than that. Your question was why 88% of 50 is the same as 50% of 88. Writing the percent figures as decimal fractions, we have
##.88 * 50 = \frac{88}{100} \cdot 50 = 88 \cdot \frac{50}{100} = \frac{50}{100} \cdot 88##
The latter expression is the same as 50% of 88.

In the two middle expressions in my equation, I am using the idea that ##\frac a b \cdot c## is equal to ##a \cdot \frac c b##. IOW, it doesn't matter which fraction has the denominator. ##\frac a b \cdot c = a \cdot \frac 1 b \cdot c## and I can group the 1/b factor with either the first number or the last.

Mark44 said:
Let me fix that for you ...
Oops, thanks!

So, they are equivalent expressions like was mentioned before. The form a/b * c = a * c/b clears it up. Thank you again.

What is a basic percent problem?

A basic percent problem involves finding the percentage of a number, finding the original number given a percentage, or finding the percentage change between two numbers.

How do I solve a basic percent problem?

To solve a basic percent problem, you can use the formula: part = percent x whole. This means that to find the part, you multiply the percent by the whole. To find the whole, you divide the part by the percent. To find the percent, you divide the part by the whole and then multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

What is the difference between a percentage and a decimal?

A percentage is a number expressed as a fraction of 100, whereas a decimal is a number expressed as a fraction of 1. For example, 50% is the same as 0.50 in decimal form. To convert a percentage to a decimal, divide the percentage by 100. To convert a decimal to a percentage, multiply it by 100.

How can I use basic percent problems in real life?

Basic percent problems can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating discounts, sales tax, and tips. They can also be used in financial planning, such as calculating interest rates or loan payments.

What are some common mistakes when solving basic percent problems?

Some common mistakes when solving basic percent problems include forgetting to convert a decimal to a percentage or vice versa, using the wrong formula, and not paying attention to units (e.g. dollars vs. cents). It is important to double check your work and make sure all calculations are done correctly.