Why does light take a longer path in a rarer medium?

In summary, the principle of least time is applied when light travels from an optically denser to a rarer medium. This means that light bends towards the normal and takes the shortest path to minimize the total time. However, when light travels from a rarer to a denser medium, it can take a longer path due to its increased speed in the rarer medium. This is because reversing the direction of the light will still result in the shortest total time across the entire path. This effect is similar to taking a longer route to reach a destination faster by using a freeway instead of surface streets.
Fiona Rozario
When traveling into an optically denser medium, the speed of light reduces and as per the principle of least time, light bends towards the normal and takes the shortest path.

But why isn't this followed when light passes into a rarer medium? With its speed increased in the rarer medium, if it takes a shorter path, time will be lesser than the path taken (by bending away from the normal).

Science news on Phys.org
Surely you are familiar with this effect. If you wish to go to a nearby city sometimes the shortest route is all on surface streets but the fastest overall route involves driving a little out of your way to use the freeway.

Fiona Rozario said:
When traveling into an optically denser medium, the speed of light reduces and as per the principle of least time, light bends towards the normal and takes the shortest path.

Note that you're after the shortest total time across the entire path.

Likes vanhees71
etotheipi said:
Note that you're after the shortest total time across the entire path.
Yebbut how does it know which way to go when it's setting off? :wink:

Likes etotheipi
sophiecentaur said:
Yebbut how does it know which way to go when it's setting off? :wink:

Well if it goes the wrong way then it's not going to get to B anyway :frown:. If light is emitted radially from A in all possible directions, the only light that reaches B will be that which is emitted along our calculated path.

But I suspect you already know this, so now I worry I have missed something. So I will preface this with "at least that's what happens classically, I have no idea if this holds up in more advanced Physics :wink:".

I thought it went all ways, but only the paths very close to Fermats route interfered constructively: the sum of all the other paths interfere destructively.
I know that's very vague and arm waving, but I did pinch it from a real physicist.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
etotheipi said:
so now I worry I have missed something.
Nah - I was just being cheeky!
@Merlin3189 's post make sense. And he's not muckin' you about. :smile:

But that question of mine was typical of the sort of question that used to be asked in the past.

Likes Merlin3189 and etotheipi
No that's very cool, I didn't know that. I had a look at the very last section here:

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_26.html

where he describes the process of summing the phasors for each path together. Close paths only differ beyond first order (I suppose because we're at a minimum of the curve) and will add together nicely, and phasors rotated either side of the average will generally cancel.

Please do correct me if I've made a mistake :wink:

Likes sophiecentaur
Fiona Rozario said:
Summary:: Is Fermat's principle of least time applied when light travels from an optically denser to a rarer medium?
Yes, least time refers to the total time in both media.

Fiona Rozario said:

But why isn't this followed when light passes into a rarer medium? With its speed increased in the rarer medium, if it takes a shorter path, time will be lesser than the path taken (by bending away from the normal).
Swapping the media is the same as reversing the direction of the light. And if it's the quickest path in one direction, then it's also the quickest path if you reverse the direction.

Likes etotheipi and sophiecentaur
Thank you, everyone!

Likes Dale

1. Why does light take a longer path in a rarer medium?

Light takes a longer path in a rarer medium because of the difference in the refractive index of the medium. Refractive index is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light. In a rarer medium, the refractive index is lower, which means that light travels faster. This results in light taking a longer path to reach its destination.

2. How does the refractive index affect the path of light?

The refractive index of a medium determines how much light is bent or refracted as it passes through. The higher the refractive index, the more the light is bent. In a rarer medium, the lower refractive index causes less refraction, resulting in a longer path for the light to travel.

3. Can light travel through all types of mediums?

Yes, light can travel through all types of mediums, including rarer mediums. However, the speed and path of light may be affected by the refractive index of the medium. Light can also be absorbed or scattered by certain materials, which can alter its path.

4. Why does light travel faster in a denser medium?

In a denser medium, the refractive index is higher, which means that light is slowed down more. This results in light taking a shorter path to reach its destination. The speed of light is also affected by the density of the medium, with denser materials causing more resistance and slowing down the speed of light.

5. How does the path of light in a rarer medium affect our vision?

The path of light in a rarer medium can affect our vision in various ways. For example, when light passes through the air and enters our eyes, it is refracted by the cornea and lens to focus on the retina. If the light takes a longer path due to a rarer medium, it can result in blurred vision or distortions. This is why glasses or contact lenses with different refractive powers are used to correct vision problems caused by the path of light in rarer mediums.