Why Does lim_{x\to (0)^{+}}e^{1/x}3x^2 = +\infty?

In that cases you simplified for x, how can I rewrite e^{1/x}3x^2 to simplify it ?You cannot rewrite ##e^{1/x}3x^2## in a simpler form, as there is no expression that is equivalent to it. However, you can use properties of limits to evaluate the limit of the expression, as I did in my previous explanation.
scientifico
Hello, why [itex]lim_{x\to (0)^{+}}e^{1/x}3x^2 = +\infty[/itex]

if

[itex]lim_{x\to (0)^{+}}e^{1/x} = \infty[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to (0)^{+}}{3x^{2}} = 0[/itex]

shouldn't it be [itex]+\infty * 0[/itex] ? I can't get it :(

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
##\infty*0## is not ##0##; this is what we call an indeterminate form. Intuitively you can figure out the limit by looking at which of the two elementary functions in the limit grows or decreases faster. ##e^{1/x}## goes to ##\infty## much faster than ##3x^{2}## goes to zero.

Consider the Taylor series for the exponential function:
$$e^{x} = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots$$
This is valid for all ##x##. Therefore, for ##x \neq 0##, we have
$$e^{1/x} = 1 + \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{2!x^2} + \frac{1}{3!x^3} + \cdots$$
and so
$$3x^2 e^{1/x} = 3x^2 + 3x + \frac{3}{2} + \frac{1}{2x} + \cdots$$
In this last expression, all of the terms to the right of 3/2 will have positive powers of ##x## in the denominator, so they will blow up to ##+\infty## as ##x \rightarrow 0^+##. Meanwhile, the first two terms go to zero, and the third term is just 3/2. Therefore the overall limit is ##0 + 0 + 3/2 +\infty = +\infty##.

Last edited:
I still can't understand Taylor series, I just would like to know why in this case the limit product rule doesn't work (ok for the infinity grade but shouldn't it work with as a product too ? )

scientifico said:
I still can't understand Taylor series, I just would like to know why in this case the limit product rule doesn't work

What is the statement of the "limit product" rule in you study materials? Doesn't it say that both limits must exist (and thus be finite)? Perhaps the relevant question is why you would expect it work in a situation where it hasn't been proven to apply.

I mean [itex]\lim_{x\to c}{f(x)\cdot g(x)} = \lim_{x\to c}{f(x)}\cdot\lim_{x\to c}{g(x)}[/itex]

Why they must be finite and anyway what allow me to ignore the other limit in case it isn't ?

Last edited:
That only holds if the limits actually exist.

A "limit product" of the form ##\infty \cdot 0## is ill-defined. The limit may be ##0##, ##\infty##, or any finite number, or it may not exist at all.

Here are four examples where ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = \infty## and ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} g(x) = 0##, but ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x)g(x)## yields different answers:

1. Let ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = 1/x##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x = \infty##.

2. Let ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = 1/x^3##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1/x = 0##.

3. Let ##c > 0## and ##f(x) = cx## and ##g(x) = 1/x##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} cx/x = c##.

4. Let ##f(x) = x## and ##g(x) = \sin(x)/x##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sin(x)## does not exist.

jbunniii said:
A "limit product" of the form ##\infty \cdot 0## is ill-defined. The limit may be ##0##, ##\infty##, or any finite number, or it may not exist at all.

Here are four examples where ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = \infty## and ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} g(x) = 0##, but ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x)g(x)## yields different answers:

1. Let ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = 1/x##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x = \infty##.

2. Let ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = 1/x^3##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1/x = 0##.

3. Let ##c > 0## and ##f(x) = cx## and ##g(x) = 1/x##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} cx/x = c##.

4. Let ##f(x) = x## and ##g(x) = \sin(x)/x##. Then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \sin(x)## does not exist.

Awesome post...

In that cases you simplified for x, how can I rewrite [itex]e^{1/x}3x^2[/itex] to simplify it ?

scientifico said:
In that cases you simplified for x, how can I rewrite [itex]e^{1/x}3x^2[/itex] to simplify it ?
You can't simplify it in the way I did above. You need to somehow use the fact that the exponential function grows faster than any polynomial function, in the sense that
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{e^x}{x^n} = \infty$$
for any positive integer ##n##. The Taylor series argument I gave above implicitly includes this fact by (loosely speaking) representing the exponential function as a polynomial with "infinite degree", but there are other ways to prove it as well. Any rigorous argument will depend on how you have defined ##e^x##. The series representation is one way to define it. What is the definition you are working with?

Related to Why Does lim_{x\to (0)^{+}}e^{1/x}3x^2 = +\infty?

1. Why does the limit of e^(1/x)3x^2 approach positive infinity as x approaches 0 from the positive side?

This limit approaches infinity because as x gets closer and closer to 0 from the positive side, the value of e^(1/x) also gets larger and larger. This is because the exponential function grows rapidly as the exponent approaches infinity, and in this case, the exponent is approaching infinity as x approaches 0.

2. How does the behavior of the function e^(1/x)3x^2 relate to the limit approaching positive infinity?

The behavior of the function e^(1/x)3x^2 is directly related to the limit approaching positive infinity. As mentioned before, as x gets closer to 0 from the positive side, the value of the function also gets larger and larger, eventually approaching infinity. This is why the limit also approaches infinity.

3. Can the limit of e^(1/x)3x^2 be evaluated at x=0?

No, the limit of e^(1/x)3x^2 cannot be evaluated at x=0 because plugging in 0 for x would result in a division by 0, which is undefined. This is why we must approach the value of 0 from either the positive or negative side to determine the limit.

4. How does the graph of e^(1/x)3x^2 illustrate the limit approaching positive infinity?

The graph of e^(1/x)3x^2 illustrates the limit approaching positive infinity by showing a vertical asymptote at x=0, where the function approaches infinity. This is because as x gets closer to 0, the value of the function increases rapidly, creating a nearly vertical line on the graph.

5. Are there other functions that exhibit a similar behavior to e^(1/x)3x^2 near x=0?

Yes, there are many functions that exhibit a similar behavior to e^(1/x)3x^2 near x=0, such as 1/x, ln(x), and 1/x^2. These functions also have vertical asymptotes at x=0 and approach infinity as x gets closer to 0. This is a common behavior for functions with a variable in the denominator.