Why does NCl3 has dipole-dipole intermolecular force?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter ducmod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipole Force
In summary, NCl3 has a dipole-dipole intermolecular force due to its trigonal pyramidal structure and the presence of a pair of lone electrons, which causes an uneven distribution of charge and creates a dipole moment. This makes it polar, despite the absence of significant electronegativity difference between N and Cl.
ducmod
Hello!

I will be grateful for the explanation on why NCl3 has a dipole-dipole intermolecular force, if, based on electronegativity difference, or rather the absence of such, (both N and Cl have 3.0 electronegativity) this is a non-polar bond?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think the molecule is planar?

Bystander said:
What makes you think the molecule is planar?
I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but if you refer to geometric structure, then
I think that N, having 5 valence electrons at its outer shell, is in the middle with valence electrons above it (not connected), and three
connections (sharing one electron with each Cl atom) with three Cl atoms.
Based on the electronegativity difference (its absence in fact), NCl3 should be pure covalent bond, but it is said to have
dipole-dipole moment, which only polar molecules can have.
Please, help me to understand why it is polar.

ducmod said:
(its absence in fact)
"Absence?"

Bystander said:
"Absence?"

I have no idea why you act in such in impolite way.

Folks, please, help me with this NCl3 matter. Thanks a lot!

ducmod said:
I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but if you refer to geometric structure, then
I think that N, having 5 valence electrons at its outer shell, is in the middle with valence electrons above it (not connected), and three
connections (sharing one electron with each Cl atom) with three Cl atoms.
Based on the electronegativity difference (its absence in fact), NCl3 should be pure covalent bond, but it is said to have
dipole-dipole moment, which only polar molecules can have.
Please, help me to understand why it is polar.

Do you know the difference between intermolecular force and intramolecular force ?
NCl3 is not planar though, I think it's trigonal pyramidal ( 4 steric number and one lone pair), and it's polar of course ( due to the one pair of free electrons)
So, what makes it have dipole-dipole moment is the pair of lone electrons

1. Why does NCl3 have a dipole moment?

NCl3 has a dipole moment because it contains polar covalent bonds between nitrogen and chlorine atoms. The electronegativity difference between these atoms results in an unequal sharing of electrons, creating a partial positive charge on the nitrogen atom and a partial negative charge on the chlorine atoms.

2. How does the dipole moment of NCl3 contribute to its intermolecular forces?

The dipole moment of NCl3 contributes to its intermolecular forces by allowing for dipole-dipole interactions between molecules. The partial positive and negative charges on neighboring molecules attract each other, resulting in a relatively strong intermolecular force.

3. Does NCl3 have stronger or weaker dipole-dipole intermolecular forces compared to other molecules?

NCl3 has relatively strong dipole-dipole intermolecular forces compared to other molecules. This is due to the large difference in electronegativity between nitrogen and chlorine, resulting in a larger dipole moment and stronger intermolecular forces.

4. How do the physical properties of NCl3 relate to its dipole-dipole intermolecular forces?

The dipole-dipole intermolecular forces of NCl3 contribute to its physical properties, such as its boiling point and melting point. These forces require more energy to break, resulting in a higher boiling point and melting point compared to non-polar molecules with similar molecular weights.

5. Can the dipole-dipole intermolecular forces of NCl3 be affected by external factors?

Yes, the strength of dipole-dipole intermolecular forces in NCl3 can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure. An increase in temperature can provide enough energy to overcome these forces, resulting in a change in the physical state of the substance. Similarly, an increase in pressure can also affect the strength of these forces.