Why does the cross product of two direction vectors....

In summary, the vector and parametric equations of the plane that passes through the points P(1,0,4), Q(3,1,-6), and R(-2,3,5) are Ax+By+Cz+D. The scalar equation is found by taking an arbitrary point in the plane, say S(x, y, z), and one of your given points, say Q.
Specter

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hopefully this is in the correct section I looked around for others but this seemed like the right one.

Find the scalar, vector, and parametric equations of the plane that passes through the points P(1,0,4), Q(3,1,-6), and R(-2,3,5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the vector and parametric equations but couldn't find the scalar equation. I eventually tried finding the cross product of two of the direction vectors and it gave me the correct answer for the scalar equation, except for D which I found by substituting in a point.

Could anyone explain why the cross product of two direction vectors gives me the scalar equation, or is this one of those things that I should just remember?

Physics news on Phys.org
Specter said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hopefully this is in the correct section I looked around for others but this seemed like the right one.

Find the scalar, vector, and parametric equations of the plane that passes through the points P(1,0,4), Q(3,1,-6), and R(-2,3,5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the vector and parametric equations but couldn't find the scalar equation. I eventually tried finding the cross product of two of the direction vectors and it gave me the correct answer for the scalar equation, except for D which I found by substituting in a point.

Could anyone explain why the cross product of two direction vectors gives me the scalar equation, or is this one of those things that I should just remember?
The cross product doesn't give you the scalar equation -- it gives you the normal to the two direction vectors. So if ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## are the two direction vectors (obtained from your given points), then ##\vec u \times \vec v## will be a vector ##\vec N = <A, B, C>## that is normal to (perpendicular to) the two other vectors. The scalar equation will then be Ax + By + Cz + D = 0.

You can see why this works by taking an arbitrary point in the plane, say S(x, y, z), and one of your given points, say Q. Then the vector SQ has to be perpendicular to ##\vec N##, so their dot product will be zero. That will give you an equation that is your scalar equation.

Likes Specter and SammyS
Mark44 said:
The cross product doesn't give you the scalar equation -- it gives you the normal to the two direction vectors. So if ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## are the two direction vectors (obtained from your given points), then ##\vec u \times \vec v## will be a vector ##\vec N = <A, B, C>## that is normal to (perpendicular to) the two other vectors. The scalar equation will then be Ax + By + Cz + D = 0.

You can see why this works by taking an arbitrary point in the plane, say S(x, y, z), and one of your given points, say Q. Then the vector SQ has to be perpendicular to ##\vec N##, so their dot product will be zero. That will give you an equation that is your scalar equation.
That makes sense. Thank you!

1. Why does the cross product of two direction vectors result in a vector perpendicular to both?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors. This is because the cross product is defined as the vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors and has a magnitude equal to the product of the magnitudes of the input vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

2. How is the direction of the cross product determined?

The direction of the cross product is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you wrap your fingers around the first vector in the direction of rotation to the second vector, your thumb will point in the direction of the resulting cross product vector. This is a convention that is used to consistently determine the direction of the cross product.

3. Can the cross product of two direction vectors be zero?

Yes, the cross product of two direction vectors can be zero if the vectors are parallel to each other or if one of the vectors has a magnitude of zero. This is because the sine of the angle between parallel vectors is zero, resulting in a cross product with a magnitude of zero.

4. How is the magnitude of the cross product related to the input vectors?

The magnitude of the cross product is directly proportional to the magnitudes of the input vectors and the sine of the angle between them. This means that the magnitude of the cross product will increase as the magnitudes of the input vectors increase and also as the angle between them increases.

5. In what applications is the cross product of two direction vectors useful?

The cross product of two direction vectors is useful in many applications, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is often used to calculate torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields in physics, and to determine the orientation of objects in 3D space in computer graphics. It is also commonly used in robotics and navigation systems to determine the orientation of objects relative to each other.