Why does the order of operations work?

In summary: Also, polish notation was invented by a Polish mathematician, so the connection is pretty clear.In summary, the order of operations, also known as PEMDAS or GEMDAS, is a convention that has been developed to evaluate complicated mathematical expressions. This convention states that parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction should be performed in that order. However, there are alternative notations, such as post operator notation or polish notation, where the operator precedes or follows the operands, eliminating the need for parentheses. Regardless of the notation used, it is important to remember that the order of operations is a convention and can be changed to suit a specific purpose.
Cash Fulton
I have had this question bugging me for a while. I know how to use it, but why and how does it work? I heard it was for convention and you do the most complicated to the simplest operations to get the lowest terms but it still confuses me. Can anyone give me a clear and easy to understand explanation.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cash Fulton said:
I have had this question bugging me for a while. I know how to use it, but why and how does it work?
That's not really the question to ask. Order of operations is a convention that has been developed to enable people to evaluate complicated expressions. Without an established convention on the order, one person might evaluate 3 + 4 * 5 as 7 * 5 = 35, and another might evaluate this as 3 + 20 = 23.

In this fairly simple expression, the convention is that multiplications are to be performed before additions, so 3 + (4 * 5) = 23 is the agreed-upon answer.

When I was in Jr. High, and was first exposed to this concept, the acronym was MDAS, with a mnemonic of "My dear Aunt Sally." The idea was that multiplications and divisions were to be performed before additions and subtractions. Since then the acronym has be expanded to PEMDAS and possibly another that I don't remember. The acronym stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplies, Divisions, Additions, Subtractions.

For example, ##3 + 2^4## would be evaluated as 3 + 16 = 19, and not as 3 + 2 raised to the 4th power. The exponent operation is higher order than the addition. To force the addition to be done first, parentheses need to be added, as ##(3 + 2)^4##, or 625.
Cash Fulton said:
I heard it was for convention and you do the most complicated to the simplest operations to get the lowest terms but it still confuses me. Can anyone give me a clear and easy to understand explanation.

Thanks.

Likes Cash Fulton
Cash Fulton said:
I have had this question bugging me for a while. I know how to use it, but why and how does it work? I heard it was for convention and you do the most complicated to the simplest operations to get the lowest terms but it still confuses me. Can anyone give me a clear and easy to understand explanation.

Thanks.
Mark44 has a great reply, but I just wanted to add one thought about the order of operation. Perhaps you've been taught PEMDAS, parenthesis, exponents, etc from left to right (as alluded to above).

I would suggest GEMDAS... G= grouping = parenthesis, brackets, bracers, absolute value, radicals, and fraction bars (also called vinculums). Yes, fraction bars. if you have something like:

3+2/3+7 , it's implied that the top and bottom are grouped together. I tutor middle/school students and sometimes this trips them up.

Likes Cash Fulton
Fancypen said:
3+2/3+7 , it's implied that the top and bottom are grouped together. I tutor middle/school students and sometimes this trips them up.
If the above were written like this: ##\frac{3 + 2}{3 + 7}##, I would agree with you on the grouping. However, when it's written like 3 + 2/3 + 7, most would say this is the same as 3 + (2/3) + 7, with the division being higher priority than the two additions.

Likes Cash Fulton
Right again Mark. I keep forgetting the formatting.

Likes Cash Fulton
but... why does it work?

What do you mean? It is a convention for writing the formulae.

We could change the convention to be whatever we want, then we would rearrange the order of the values, so that we get the correct answer.PEMDAS:
2+2/4*3 gives the answer of 2 1/6.

We could decide that the order is PSADME.
Then, to tell others how to get the right answer we would write it as
2+(2/(4*3)) ,which would still give the correct answer.

Likes Cash Fulton
But what if you were seeing the cost of whatever like this for example 2x + 4 = 8

Another order of operations wouldn't work for solving x. Damn! why is it so difficult for my mind to comprehend this?

It would work if you wrote the formula based on the alternate order of operations.

If we decided to change the convention to PSADME, then we would write it as

(2x)+4 = 8.

Without the parentheses, our new OoO would cause us to do the addition first, followed by the multiplication.

Likes DrewD and Cash Fulton
I think you did it with that one Dave. Thank you oh mighty one!

You can use parentheses to force any specific order of operation that you need. So any time it doesn't work, it is your fault. Parentheses are your friends.

Likes Cash Fulton
It might be worth your while investigating post operator notation (sometimes called polish) in which the operator precedes the operands. No brackets are needed at all. (A variant is reverse polish in which the operator follows the operands. Hewlett Packard calculators used to use this). Compilers in computing usually convert mathematical expressions to reverse polish.

Likes FactChecker and Cash Fulton
bhillyard said:
It might be worth your while investigating post operator notation (sometimes called polish) in which the operator precedes the operands. No brackets are needed at all. (A variant is reverse polish in which the operator follows the operands. Hewlett Packard calculators used to use this). Compilers in computing usually convert mathematical expressions to reverse polish.
Interesting, I'll check it out.

Sometimes polish notation is called prefix, reverse polish is post fix and traditional is infix.
I.e. the operator is before, after or between the operands.
Incidentally polish in this context is pronounced as in a person from Poland not as in the stuff to make furniture shine.

Likes jim mcnamara
bhillyard said:

bhillyard said:
Sometimes polish notation is called prefix, reverse polish is post fix and traditional is infix.
I.e. the operator is before, after or between the operands.
Incidentally polish in this context is pronounced as in a person from Poland not as in the stuff to make furniture shine.
And since it refers to Polish, the ethnic group, and not polish, the word is capitalized.

Likes Cash Fulton and pbuk

Related to Why does the order of operations work?

1. Why do we need to follow the order of operations?

The order of operations is a set of rules that helps us solve mathematical expressions in a consistent and accurate way. Without these rules, different people could interpret an expression differently, leading to different answers. Following the order of operations ensures that we all arrive at the same answer.

2. What are the different levels of the order of operations?

The order of operations consists of four levels: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right). These levels determine the order in which we evaluate each part of an expression.

3. How do parentheses affect the order of operations?

Parentheses indicate that the expression inside should be evaluated first, regardless of the order of operations. This allows us to control the order in which parts of an expression are evaluated. If there are nested parentheses, we evaluate the innermost set first.

4. Why does multiplication and division come before addition and subtraction in the order of operations?

This rule is known as the "PEMDAS" rule and it helps us solve expressions in a way that is consistent with the properties of numbers. Multiplication and division are inverse operations of each other, as are addition and subtraction. By evaluating these operations in a specific order, we can avoid getting different answers depending on the order in which we solve them.

5. Can the order of operations ever be changed?

No, the order of operations is a fundamental rule in mathematics that cannot be changed. It ensures that we all solve expressions the same way and obtain the same answer. However, the use of parentheses can change the order in which we evaluate parts of an expression.