Why doesn't (8c1)(13c2) work for choosing a team with at least one woman?

In summary, there are 344 ways to choose a team of 3 members from a club with 8 women and 6 men, where at least one woman must be included. This can be calculated by subtracting the number of ways to choose 3 men from the total number of ways to choose 3 members, or by adding together the combinations of 1 woman and 2 men, 2 women and 1 man, and 3 women and 0 men. The method of choosing 1 woman and 2 men by multiplying the combinations of 8 women and 6 men is incorrect because it counts some groups twice. This is because the order in which the members are chosen does not matter in a combination.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

A club has only 8 women and 6 men as members. A team of 3 is to be chosen to represent the club. In how many ways can this be done if there is to be at least one woman on the team.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do this 2 ways,
first 1w2m + 2w1m + 3m0m => (8c1)(6c2) + (8c2)(6c1) + (8c3)(6c0) =344
or
total- all men => (14c3) - (6c3) = 344

But the problem i can't get my head around is why this way doesn't work: (8c1)(13c2)
can some one please throw some light on this for me[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-17_22-38-9.png
    upload_2016-9-17_22-38-9.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
gtfitzpatrick said:
But the problem i can't get my head around is why this way doesn't work: (8c1)(13c2)
Because you are putting a partial order on the the three people selected. You select one, and then you select a pair to make up three. So some sets of three are counted twice. For instance, the case where you first pick Laxmi, then pick Mae and Brunhilde (together) will be treated as different from the one where you first pick Mae, then Laxmi and Brunhilde (together). But as a combination, they are just one instance, not two.

In your second way, you have 8 choices for lady number 1, and you select two more from the remaining 13 people. Some of the groups you form in this way will be duplicated= e,g. Suppose lady 1 is your first choice, and suppose lady 5 and lady 6 are the remaining two choices (from C(13 2)). Alternatively, suppose lady 5 is now the lady designated out of the C(8 1). Once again you will find a case where she is paired with a C(13 2) that happens to be ladies 1 and 6. This is a simple example, but there are numerous others=the result is the number C(8 1) C(13 2) is incorrect and double counts numerous times.

What is counting and combinations?

Counting and combinations are mathematical techniques used to determine the number of possible outcomes for a given situation. It involves systematically counting and arranging objects or events in different ways.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

The main difference between permutations and combinations is the order in which the objects or events are arranged. In permutations, the order matters, while in combinations, the order does not matter.

How do you calculate the number of combinations?

The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of objects or events and r represents the number of objects or events being chosen.

What is the principle of counting?

The principle of counting, also known as the multiplication principle, states that if there are m ways to do one task and n ways to do another task, then there are m x n ways to do both tasks together.

What are some real-life applications of counting and combinations?

Counting and combinations have various real-life applications, such as in probability, statistics, and combinatorial optimization. It is also used in everyday tasks, such as arranging a menu, seating arrangements, or creating a password.