Why is Bar Magnet Length Referred to as "2l"?

In summary, the length of a bar magnet is often referred to as 2l because it represents the combined length of the north and south poles. This simplifies the formula and makes it easier to work with. Similarly, using radius instead of diameter in equations helps make them cleaner and easier to understand.
logearav
folks,
in higher secondary books i came across magnet's length that is bar magnet's length is given as " 2l" that is 2 multiplied by l. my question is " why the length is not referred as 'l' the usual way of referring length.
please clarify in layman terms.
thanks in advance
logesh aravindan

Physics news on Phys.org
i am a poor one in english but iff i understund : they make that in order to have a simple formula ;because(may be) they will divid by 2 so in the place to have this ugly (l/2) they just have this beautiful (l). and i recall that in the baccalaureat exam of this year ,they gave us (2l) in order to pertutbate you .

i don't understand please clarify lucidly

I would have to see the book, but I'm assuming the l is referring to the length of a single pole, so the total length of the magnet is 2l. That is l of the north and l of the south combined.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

arkhammedos is right. Often the length is given as '2l' so the 2 will cancel out and leave a cleaner expression.

It is like choosing radius and not diameter so we can write [tex]A=\pi r^2[/tex] and not [tex] A=\frac{\pi D^2}{4}[/tex]

Related to Why is Bar Magnet Length Referred to as "2l"?

1. Why is bar magnet length referred to as "2l"?

The "l" in "2l" represents the length of one side of the bar magnet. Since a bar magnet is symmetrical, it is often referred to as "2l" to represent both sides of the magnet.

2. How does the length of a bar magnet affect its strength?

The longer the bar magnet, the stronger its magnetic field will be. This is because a longer magnet has more surface area and therefore more poles for the magnetic field to interact with.

3. Why is the length of a bar magnet important in electromagnets?

In electromagnets, the length of the bar magnet is important because it determines the strength of the magnetic field produced by the magnet. The longer the magnet, the stronger the magnetic field will be when an electric current is passed through it.

4. How is the length of a bar magnet measured?

The length of a bar magnet is typically measured from one end to the other, along the longest axis of the magnet. This is known as the "2l" measurement and is commonly used in scientific calculations.

5. Is there a standard length for bar magnets?

There is no standard length for bar magnets as they can vary in size depending on their purpose and application. However, in scientific experiments, a length of 10cm is often used as a standard for bar magnets.