Why is change in potential energy is always negative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between conservative force and potential energy, and how changes in potential energy are always negative. This is because potential energy is defined as a negative rate of change and is taken to be zero at infinity. The conversation also touches on the concept of total energy and how it is constant in a conservative force field.
jackyyoyoyo
I'm studying relation between conservative force and potential energy,and getting a big question on change in potential energy is always negative.

For gravitational PE ,when an object is lifting up, it's work done is negative(opposite direction). so the change in work done is negative. On the other hand, when an object is falling down, it's work done is positive(same direction). And the change in work done is also positive.
Why?
Am i wrong in change in work done(final-initial)?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When an object is lifted the lifting force which is opposing gravity is upward in the same direction as increasing height therefore the work done on the object is positive. Also as the object is lifted its potential energy is increase so the difference is positive. When an object falls due to the force of gravity the work is done by gravity on the object is in the direction of decreasing height and therefore the work is negative. As the object fall its potential energy decreases.

jackyyoyoyo said:
I'm studying relation between conservative force and potential energy,and getting a big question on change in potential energy is always negative.

i think you are asking 'why force is defined as negative rate of change of potential'?
In attractive force field the potential is zero at infinity and as a body moves towards the center of the force , the body goes in bound state and bound state energy is negative - a positive energy means a free state from the field of force .

imagine an electron bound to the nucleus -the energy of electron will be negative till it is bound .
now suppose you are bringing unit mass in a gravitational field of say Earth from infinity to a point at radial distance r and calculate the potential at r...the potential is a negative quantity and the amount of work done was by the field rather than any external agency.

if you try to take a body from r to infinity then the external agency has to do work in reaching zero potential energy.
If you take repulsive field then the work done in bringing a body being repulsed by center of force from infinity to a point r in the field will be done by external agency.

potential energy is scalar quantity and a change in scalar can be either positive or negative but force is a vector and the negative rate of change of potential provides you force -its magnitude as well as its direction.

gravitational potential energy is taken to be zero at infinity so all PE must be negative!
Raising a mass increases its PE so it becomes less negative...but it is still a negative quantity.

I'm not sure whether I understand you question right, but it's just by definition that if the force is conservative the sign of the potential is such that
$$\vec{F}=-\vec{\nabla} V.$$
For a point particle close to Earth the gravitational force is constant, ##F=m \vec{g}##, and thus the potential
$$V=-m \vec{g} \cdot \vec{x}.$$
If you define the ##z## direction of your Cartesian coordinate system to point "up", i.e., against ##\vec{g}##, then you have ##\vec{g}=-g \vec{e}_z## and thus
$$V=m g z.$$
So the potential energy becomes larger when you lift the particle "up" and smaller when you let it fall "down".

The total energy is constant (because ##V## is not explicitly time dependent), i.e.,
$$E=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2+V(\vec{x})=\text{const}.$$

vanhees71 said:
I'm not sure whether I understand you question right, but it's just by definition that if the force is conservative the sign of the potential is such that
$$\vec{F}=-\vec{\nabla} V.$$
For a point particle close to Earth the gravitational force is constant, ##F=m \vec{g}##, and thus the potential
$$V=-m \vec{g} \cdot \vec{x}.$$
If you define the ##z## direction of your Cartesian coordinate system to point "up", i.e., against ##\vec{g}##, then you have ##\vec{g}=-g \vec{e}_z## and thus
$$V=m g z.$$
So the potential energy becomes larger when you lift the particle "up" and smaller when you let it fall "down".

The total energy is constant (because ##V## is not explicitly time dependent), i.e.,
$$E=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2+V(\vec{x})=\text{const}.$$

A 'larger' potential energy means 'less' negative.

Thanks for response
Now I can figure out why I'm trapped

As @vanhees71 says, the minus sign is a definition. With the sign choice as "minus the gradient", the work done by conservative forces can be brought to the kinetic-energy side of the work-energy theorem so that one can state that the net work done by nonconservative forces is equal to the total energy (kinetic plus potential).

Without the minus sign in the definition of potential energy, one would not be able to use the word "total" (implying sum)... instead one would need "kinetic energy minus the (alternately defined) potential energy".

Last edited:

1. Why is the change in potential energy always negative?

The change in potential energy is always negative because potential energy is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a force field. When an object moves from a higher potential energy state to a lower potential energy state, it loses potential energy, resulting in a negative change. This is because the object is doing work against the force field, and work is defined as the transfer of energy. Therefore, the change in potential energy is always negative.

2. Can the change in potential energy ever be positive?

No, the change in potential energy cannot be positive. As mentioned before, potential energy is only associated with an object's position or configuration in a force field. If an object moves from a lower potential energy state to a higher one, it gains potential energy. However, the change in potential energy is still negative because the object is still doing work against the force field and transferring energy.

3. How is potential energy related to work?

Potential energy and work are directly related. When an object moves from one position to another, it changes its potential energy, and work is done in the process. The work done on an object is equal to the negative change in potential energy. This relationship is described by the equation W = -ΔPE, where W is work, -ΔPE is the negative change in potential energy, and PE is potential energy.

4. Does the mass of an object affect the change in potential energy?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect the change in potential energy. The potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier object will have a greater potential energy than a lighter object, assuming they are at the same height in a force field. Therefore, the change in potential energy will also be greater for a heavier object.

5. Why is potential energy important in understanding changes in energy?

Potential energy is crucial in understanding changes in energy because it allows us to analyze the energy transformations that occur in physical systems. Potential energy is just one form of energy, and it can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. By understanding the changes in potential energy, we can better understand the overall changes in energy within a system and how energy is conserved and transferred.