Why is CS in more favorable over other IT degrees?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter Listenupjunior97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Degrees
In summary: So, according to this commenter, people tend to praise CS degrees over other IT degrees because other IT degrees are seen as "obsolete." This may be because CS degrees are seen as being harder to get, and those who get them are usually considered smarter and more capable. This may be because programming and math are skills that can be practiced, and getting through anything difficult just takes hard work and persistence.
Listenupjunior97
So recently what I've been seeing especially on reddit was that people have been praising CS over other IT degrees. Why is that a trend? Is it because other IT degrees are seen as "obsolete"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Listenupjunior97 said:
So recently what I've been seeing especially on reddit was that people have been praising CS over other IT degrees. Why is that a trend? Is it because other IT degrees are seen as "obsolete"?
What do you mean by an IT degree? Do you mean like a several-month certification class from CISCO?

What jobs are you wanting to qualify for?

berkeman said:
What do you mean by an IT degree? Do you mean like a several-month certification class from CISCO?

What jobs are you wanting to qualify for?
i mainly want to do network/database admin or computer analyst, but whenever I look up computer information systems degree info via reddit every comment or mostly every comment goes into how a cs degree is the better option.
One redditor wrote through r/ITcareerquestions:

"CS majors will get all the same opportunities as CIS majors get and more, but it won't be the same vice versa. CS is a much higher valued degree than CIS, precisely because it's harder to get. It's usually the math (and the programming) that scares people away. That's why IT-type degrees are stigmatized as where people go to avoid the hard stuff, which you're also contributing to (and so did I; story in a bit).

So those who aren't afraid of it are deemed smarter and more capable, and therefore granted better opportunities. This tends to be backed up by the fact that tech companies have a history of recruiting the more theoretical majors like CS and CE, but not the IT/IS majors despite them learning more practical things.

However, things like programming and math are things you can get good at. They're really just practiced skills, which you can't get good at it if you're not practicing. Getting through anything difficult really just takes hard work and persistence.

Back in college, I started as a CIS major for the same reasons as you (light on programming, math, theory). But I realized that there things about IT I didn't like (customer service theme). I also realized that people who didn't avoid the hard stuff were getting better opportunities. After some self actualization, I just realized that I wasn't so much afraid of math or programming, but just unwilling to take on challenges.

Since I decided that mama ain't raised no b*tch, I made the switch to CS. It was tough and I had to learn the hard way that my habits in CIS wasn't going to fly in CS, but I persevered. I got through multiple advanced math courses that I never thought I'd even take in a million years. I came out a tougher person mentally, a more self-sufficient one, and a better thinker/problem solver.

I also had much better hit rates for internships after switching from CIS to CS. At some point, my CS classmates and I were even snatching fancy IT internships from my old CIS cohorts.

Times definitely got tough where the constant feeling of failure hung above my head, and I was tempted to give up many times. There were also courses I had to take more than once. But I showed up, and kept showing up. One day, I became a CS grad. I was just a CS major who never gave up, as were everyone else I graduated with.

If you're unsure about your major, just know that CS is never the wrong answer (not even in an IT sub). So I encourage you to challenge yourself, as greater rewards await. You are stronger than you think you are. If I could do it, so can you. Remember, all it takes is hard work and persistence."

1. Why is computer science considered more favorable than other IT degrees?

Computer science is considered more favorable because it covers a wide range of topics, from coding and programming to algorithms and data structures. This makes it a versatile degree that can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Additionally, computer science graduates are in high demand in many industries, making it a lucrative field to pursue.

2. What sets computer science apart from other IT degrees?

Computer science is a more theoretical and academic field compared to other IT degrees. It focuses on understanding the fundamental principles of computing and developing problem-solving skills, rather than just learning specific tools or technologies. This makes computer science graduates adaptable and able to keep up with the constantly evolving technology landscape.

3. Is computer science more rigorous compared to other IT degrees?

Computer science can be more rigorous because it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and logic. Students often have to take courses in calculus, discrete math, and logic in addition to core computer science courses. However, this rigor also prepares students for a wide range of technical and analytical roles.

4. What career opportunities are available for computer science graduates?

Computer science graduates have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, and many other fields. With the increasing use of technology in every industry, the demand for computer science graduates is only expected to grow.

5. How does computer science prepare students for the future?

Computer science prepares students for the future by equipping them with skills that are in high demand across industries. As technology continues to advance and play a crucial role in our daily lives, computer science graduates will be at the forefront of developing and implementing new technologies. They also have the skills to adapt and learn new technologies as they emerge in the future.