Why is function F used in the proof of l'hopitals rule?

• Thread starter georg gill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I just started my homework on this so I am not so sure.In summary, the proof in my book uses L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate indeterminate forms. The first step is to use L'H's Rule to evaluate quotients. If this is true, then lim as x approaches a f(x)/g(x) = lim as x approaches a f'(x)/g'(x)
georg gill
This is the proof for l'hopitals rule in my book:

http://bildr.no/view/953799

http://bildr.no/view/953800

http://bildr.no/view/999144

I don't get why they use the function F to make the proof? It is the saying from it with cauchy mean value theorem that makes the start for the proof but could they not manipulate any function to make this proof work, I mean it looks like they just made up F? And at the end of the proof I don't get why f(a)=g(a)=0

Hope someone could help me out:)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my first time on here. Did you just post this question today?

Yes I did. Just can't seem to get it right. I am also a relatively newbie here

Same here. That's why I asked the question. My professor just covered L'Hopital's Rule today. This is what I got from my notes. First, we're going to use L'H's Rule to help evaluate indeterminate forms such as 0/0 and infinity/infinity. Note: If we don't have these forms, we can just use an alternative.

1. L'H's Rule is intended for Quotients.
2. 0/0 or infinity/infinity
3. lim f'(x)/g'(x) exists

If this is true, then lim as x approaches a f(x)/g(x) = lim as x approaches a f'(x)/g'(x)

Maybe we can figure this thing out together.

Note: I haven't actually taken the time to go through my book's proof as of yet. But I have started my homework.

Sure:) I'll try to find another proof online because I am stuck in the one in my book.

You can try this link:

http://math.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathposters/L'Hospital's Rule.pdf

I know why. f(a) = g(a) = 0 is just another way of saying f(x) = 0 = g(x). In other words, we want to use L'H's rule to help evaluate indeterminate forms like 0/0 and infinity/infinity. So would you agree that f(a)/g(a) = 0/0 because f(a) = 0 and g(a) = 0, right? If this is indeed the case, then we'll use L'Hopital's Rule.

One more thing, the mean theorem states that there exists a f(c) between a and b, correct? And it must be differentiable, correct? Then if that is the case, we can use L'Hopital's Rule to help us evaluate indeterminate forms such as 0/0 and infinity/infinity.

The same is true for infinity/infinity. Go back to what I said about the function equaling the derivative. If those 3 points are true, then we can find the derivative of the function to help us evaluate the problem.

So as you can see, the a's and x's are just different symbols, but they mean the same thing.

Does this help? I am trying to repeat the important parts over and over again for our benefit.

georg gill i have the same calculus book as you i think, i checked out the proof and your question concerning the function F(x), I am not 100% sure about this but it looks to me that the line in figure 4.42 in your book, the one extending from (g(b),f(b)) to (g(a),f(a)), the equation for that line is F(x). As for the rest of the proof for Cauchy's mean value theorem and L'hopital's rule I am not so sure of, so hopefully someone else can help us understand the proof.

I am trying to get one or anoher proof for this and the thing i might get is why they can use F because I got help from another forum (norwegian as I am from Norway so I guess showing you that won't be any use)

Say you have the function:

f(x)=x-2

We want to rewrite to another function

F:

F(x)=g(x)-x-2

everytime F=0 then we have a new saying for x-2 that is g.

and this is what they do in the start of the proof i guess. So I only wonder from the proof that Devil Doc gave why they can assume that f(a)=g(a)=0

Devil Doc said:
You can try this link:

http://math.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathposters/L'Hospital's Rule.pdf

I know why. f(a) = g(a) = 0 is just another way of saying f(x) = 0 = g(x). In other words, we want to use L'H's rule to help evaluate indeterminate forms like 0/0 and infinity/infinity. So would you agree that f(a)/g(a) = 0/0 because f(a) = 0 and g(a) = 0, right? If this is indeed the case, then we'll use L'Hopital's Rule.

We know that in x=a we have a saying which is 0 over 0 for f(a) over f(g). That is why we can delete this part in the saying and get L'hopital's formula in my book. That helped. Thanks Devil Doc:rolleyes:

You're welcome, Georg. I'm glad it helped. It helped me to explain it. If you have any homework problems that your having trouble with, feel free to post them. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at them. I will do the same if your interested.

- Doc

Sure I can do my best to help as well! I am taking elementary math for college now. And great to have some place to ask:)

Related to Why is function F used in the proof of l'hopitals rule?

What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate the limit of a function that is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of the ratio of two functions is in an indeterminate form, then the limit of the ratio of the derivatives of those functions will be the same.

When should L'Hopital's rule be used?

L'Hopital's rule should only be used when taking the limit of a function that is in an indeterminate form. In other words, when the limit cannot be evaluated directly by substitution or other algebraic methods.

What is an indeterminate form?

An indeterminate form is a mathematical expression that cannot be evaluated as it is, because it results in an ambiguous or undefined value. Examples of indeterminate forms include 0/0, ∞-∞, and ∞/∞.

How do you apply L'Hopital's rule?

To apply L'Hopital's rule, you must first determine if the limit you are evaluating is in an indeterminate form. If it is, then take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function, and then evaluate the limit again. Repeat this process until the limit is no longer in an indeterminate form.

What are the limitations of L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to functions that are differentiable at the point where the limit is being evaluated. It also only works for certain types of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for limits that tend to ∞, -∞, or oscillate between two values.