Why is it harder to run underwater but easier to lift

In summary, the difficulty of running underwater is due to the resistance and displacement of water, rather than buoyancy. Buoyancy only helps when lifting heavy objects, but when trying to run, water resistance is the main obstacle to overcome.
TheWonderer1
Both involve water resistance, buoyancy, and density of water and air. Therefore, I would expect that the lift up of your foot would be easy but putting your foot down would be the most difficult. Lifting an object is easier bc of buoyancy force. Although, apart the object must be buoyant itself for that to work. I don't really get that bc buoyancy would still be there based on the general principles involved. I'm guessing the force wouldn't overcome the resistance possibly making it only somewhat easier.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheWonderer1 said:
Both involve water resistance, buoyancy, and density of water and air. Therefore, I would expect that the lift up of your foot would be easy but putting your foot down would be the most difficult.

hi there

none of your comments actually addressed your question " why is it hard(er) to run under water
And because you didn't state, I will at this point assume you are comparing it to running in air ?

your comments never took into account the main reason for the difficulty to run under water ( other than stating what it is)
You got side-tracked by talking about buoyancy

do you know the reason now ?

Last edited:
Not going to lie to you. That didn't make much sense. I thought the comparison would be obvious. I'm going to say the main reason is resistance and the water being displaced. Maybe let me ask is it turn that picking up your foot is easier underwater? Just as it is easier to pick up an object. I didn't state what was going on bc it is definitely density and resistance. I'm wondering bc I have an interest in buoyancy force right now. I think it is quite cool. It would seem to me that the foot itself is pulling up with the buoyancy force so that would be easier. However, you still have water resistance. Although, if a gold foot from an old statue needs to be lifted. I would think water resistance would come into play. However, I can still pick up my dad as a kid in the pool so that seems a bit contradictory!

Last edited:
When lifting a heavy object, buoyancy is helping you. When you are trying to run, water resistance is the main problem, while buoyancy doesn't help much, since the weight involved is relatively small.

Why is it harder to run underwater?

Running underwater is harder because water is denser than air. This means that it offers more resistance against our movements, making it harder to move through and push against.

Why is it easier to lift underwater?

Lifting objects underwater is easier because the buoyancy force of the water helps to counteract the weight of the object. This is due to the upward force exerted by the water on the object, making it feel lighter and easier to lift.

Why do we feel slower when running underwater?

We feel slower when running underwater because of the increased resistance of water compared to air. This resistance slows down our movements and makes it harder for us to maintain our usual running speed.

Why is it more difficult to move your legs when running underwater?

Moving your legs when running underwater is more difficult because of the increased resistance of water. This resistance makes it harder for our muscles to generate the necessary force to move our legs against the water.

Why can we lift heavier objects underwater?

We can lift heavier objects underwater because of the buoyancy force of the water. This upward force helps to counteract the weight of the object, making it feel lighter and easier to lift compared to on land.