Why is it important to match frequency to timescale of events?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of EM radiation to locate particles and the potential risks of using high frequencies. The example of using terahertz spectroscopy to detect fluctuation phenomena in a high-temperature superconductor is mentioned, with a discussion on how the probe frequency may affect the detection of these fluctuations. The concept of resonance is also briefly mentioned as a potential factor in the detection process.
swooshfactory
I understand that too long of a time scale won't resolve an event clearly, and too much has the risk of exciting whatever you're trying to measure. Is there some sort of resonant effect when you match, say, a radiation frequency to the time of an event taking place? Specifically I'm applying this to detecting fluctuation phenomena.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what you want to achieve - the usual approach is to choose the parameters to minimize your uncertainties.

I'm guessing you are thinking of something like using EM radiation to locate a particle - and you want to be able to measure small changes in position. To get a more accurate position reading, you need a higher frequency, but to-high-a frequency risks disturbing the dynamics you want to monitor?

But you could be referring to the frequency that data is collected.

Did you have a specific example in mind?

I do have a specfic example in mind...in http://arxiv.org/pdf/1110.2097v1.pdf (Temporal correlations of superconductivity above the transition temperature in La2xSrxCuO4 probed by terahertz spectroscopy), they state that "We set the overall scale of so that the loss peak in Fig. 1c is exhibited at a temperature when the probing frequency equals the fluctuation frequency at that temperature." i.e. that at a particular frequency, the lossy fluctuation is identified the most strongly when the frequency of light used to measure the fluctuation matches the frequency of the fluctuation.

Hmmm ... it reads a lot like a fudge factor to me - however, it's enough outside my field that I may just not be familiar enough with the methodology. The other way I'd read it is that the probe is detecting what it does by getting a response from the material (a high-temp superconductor) and you intuition that some sort of resonance is involved would be reasonable. If the probe frequency is close to that of the small-scale fluctuations, then these fluctuations would show up strongly. You want to look closely at exactly what is fluctuating, and how the probe works to detect it.

It is a bit of a fudge factor, and that's acknowledged by the authors. But I'm not sure what about it would be resonating...

Me neither - I just skimmed it.
Find out how the probe part works.

Related to Why is it important to match frequency to timescale of events?

1. Why is it important to match frequency to timescale of events?

Frequencies and timescales are both measures of how often something occurs. Matching the frequency to the timescale of events is important because it allows us to accurately measure and understand the relationship between events and their repetition.

2. How does matching frequency to timescale of events impact scientific research?

In scientific research, matching frequency to timescale of events allows for more precise and meaningful data analysis. It helps to identify patterns and trends, and can reveal important relationships between events and their frequency.

3. Can matching frequency to timescale of events help predict future events?

Yes, matching frequency to timescale of events can aid in predicting future events. For example, if we know the frequency of earthquakes in a certain area and the timescale at which they occur, we can make more accurate predictions about when the next earthquake may happen.

4. How does matching frequency to timescale of events impact our understanding of natural phenomena?

Matching frequency to timescale of events is crucial for understanding natural phenomena such as weather patterns, geological events, and biological processes. It allows us to identify and study the recurring patterns and cycles that govern these phenomena, leading to a better understanding of the world around us.

5. Are there any potential consequences of not matching frequency to timescale of events?

Not matching frequency to timescale of events can lead to inaccurate or incomplete data analysis, which can hinder our ability to understand and predict events. It can also result in misleading conclusions and hinder the progress of scientific research.