Why is methyl red soluble in water AND ether?

In summary, methyl red is soluble in both water and ether, but it dissolves into the ether layer only.
vetgirl1990
Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template.
I just had an extraction lab, and am confused how methyl red is soluble in both water and ether.
My prediction was that methyl red would be only soluble in ether, but it actually dissolved into both layers. Looking at it's structure, it has a carboxylic group on one end, attached to a chain consisting of aromatics with some nitrogens. Any suggestions or guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can it get ionized?

As it is an indicator I don't need to know its structure to answer that question! :oldbiggrin:
I wouldn't be so surprised about it dissolving in ether - after all water and ether are up to a point miscible.
Since this was in the lab it occurred to me that there could be some slightly interesting physical chemistry observations and predictions about the colour when you dissolve some acids or bases in the ether with it -but everything would need to be absolutely anhydrous for this to be significant.
I wonder, could you find conditions where it is a different colour in the two phases?

epenguin said:
As it is an indicator I don't need to know its structure to answer that question! :oldbiggrin:
I wouldn't be so surprised about it dissolving in ether - after all water and ether are up to a point miscible.
Since this was in the lab it occurred to me that there could be some slightly interesting physical chemistry observations and predictions about the colour when you dissolve some acids or bases in the ether with it -but everything would need to be absolutely anhydrous for this to be significant.
I wonder, could you find conditions where it is a different colour in the two phases?
Well doing a little bit of reading, I found out that in it's solid phase, methyl red is soluble in ether, but miscible in water... not sure if this is relevant at all to my observations.

Borek said:
Can it get ionized?
No it can't. The pKa of methyl red is 4.95, so in distilled water it does not ionize. So I am guessing then, that in a solution of ether and water, it will remain in it's uncharged state, and only be found in the ether layer?

1. Why is methyl red soluble in water?

Methyl red is soluble in water because it has polar functional groups, such as the carboxyl group, which can form hydrogen bonds with water molecules. This allows the compound to dissolve in water and be evenly dispersed throughout the solution.

2. Why is methyl red soluble in ether?

Methyl red is soluble in ether because it has nonpolar functional groups, such as the methyl group, which can interact with the nonpolar solvent. This allows the compound to dissolve in ether and be evenly dispersed throughout the solution.

3. How does the solubility of methyl red in water and ether differ?

The solubility of methyl red in water is higher than its solubility in ether. This is because water is a polar solvent and can interact with the polar functional groups of methyl red, making it more soluble. Ether, on the other hand, is a nonpolar solvent and has weaker interactions with the nonpolar functional groups of methyl red, resulting in lower solubility.

4. Can the solubility of methyl red be affected by temperature?

Yes, the solubility of methyl red can be affected by temperature. Generally, as the temperature increases, the solubility of solids in liquids also increases. This means that at higher temperatures, methyl red may be more soluble in both water and ether.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the solubility of methyl red?

Yes, besides temperature, the pH of the solution and the concentration of methyl red can also affect its solubility. Methyl red is an acid-base indicator, and its solubility can be influenced by the ionization of its functional groups at different pH levels. Additionally, a higher concentration of methyl red in the solution can also increase its solubility.