Why is my car acceleration not matching the calculated force?

In summary: You can't just take the gear ratio and multiply it by the differential final drive ratio because the gearbox will increase the torque and reduce the rotation frequency, which will change the final answer.
Jonsson
Hello there,

Just got an old car, and I was looking at the specifications, and trying to teach myself Newtonian physics. But I cannot get it to work out correctly. Please tell me where I go wrong.

The car weighs 900 kg. The engine has 200nm of torque, it accelerates from still to 27.7 m/s in 8 seconds. The radius from the center of the drive axle to the outside of the tire is circa 0.3m.

[itex]F = m\,a[/itex]

Assuming constant acceleration:

[itex]F = m\frac{v}{t}[/itex]

[itex]F = 900\mathrm{ kg}\frac{27.7\mathrm{ m/s}}{8\mathrm{ s}}[/itex]

[itex]F = 3116\,\mathrm{ N}[/itex]

So, to go from zero to 100km/h in 8 seconds takes 3116 N. This is not taking aerodynamic drag and drivetrain friction into account.

This is where I go wrong I think. The car has 200 Nm of torque:

[itex]\tau = 200\,\mathrm{Nm}[/itex]

I have an arm of 0.3m (the distance from the centre of the wheel to the outside of the tyre)

[itex]F = \frac{\tau}{r} [/itex]

[itex]F = 666 N [/itex]

The problem is [itex]3116\,\mathrm{ N} >> 666\,\mathrm{ N}[/itex]

And this is without even taken aerodynamic drag and drivetrain losses/friction and all of that jazz into account.

How come my maths is off by so much?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

NOTE: Looks like my numbers may be off by a factor of 2∏ ? Not sure where it should go though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to take the gear into account, it can increase the torque (and reduce the rotation frequency).

Quick check: a typical wheel has a diameter of ~50cm. At 30m/s, it rotates with 1200rpm. That is not the range where you operate the engine to accelerate.

These are the gear ratios of the car:

1st 3.80 : 1
2nd 2.06 : 1
3rd 1.26 : 1
4th .89 : 1

final drive ratio 4.125 : 1

Do you think I am right in multiplying the ratio of the gear with the differential final drive ratio?

F = 200Nm * gear ratio * final_drive_ratio/0.3m

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

That's what a gearbox is for. You have a higher overall gear ratio when starting in first gear to keep the engine from stalling. Once the car is moving, you change gears to reduce the overall ratio until you reach the point where the wheels are rotating at a speed which won't cause the engine to stall, and the engine is turning at sufficient RPM to keep the car moving at a constant travel speed.

When you are accelerating to speed, unless you do it in a single gear, the analysis in the OP is not valid.

Hello Marius,

It seems like you have done a great job in trying to understand the physics behind your car's acceleration. However, there are a few factors that could be contributing to the difference between your calculated force and the actual acceleration of your car.

Firstly, the calculation you have done assumes that the engine's torque is being directly transferred to the wheels without any losses. In reality, there are various losses, such as friction in the drivetrain and aerodynamic drag, that can significantly reduce the amount of force that is actually applied to the wheels. This can result in a lower acceleration than what is predicted by your calculations.

Additionally, the specifications of your car may not be completely accurate or may not take into account external factors such as the condition of the road surface, tire pressure, and other variables. These can also affect the acceleration of your car and may explain the difference between your calculated force and the actual acceleration.

Furthermore, your calculation assumes constant acceleration, which may not be the case in real-life situations. Factors such as the weight distribution of the car, road conditions, and the driver's actions can also affect the acceleration of the car.

In conclusion, while your calculations are a good starting point in understanding the physics behind your car's acceleration, there are many other factors that can affect the actual acceleration of the car. It is important to keep in mind that real-life situations are often more complex than theoretical calculations and your car's performance may not always match your calculations exactly.

I hope this helps in addressing your question. Keep exploring and learning about the physics of your car, and don't be discouraged by small discrepancies in your calculations. It takes time and practice to fully understand and apply these concepts. Good luck!

Best regards,

What is car acceleration problem?

Car acceleration problem refers to a situation where a vehicle is experiencing difficulty in accelerating or maintaining a steady speed. This can be caused by various factors such as engine malfunctions, fuel system issues, or problems with the transmission system.

What are the common signs of car acceleration problem?

Some of the common signs of car acceleration problem include slow acceleration, jerking or hesitating when accelerating, and difficulty maintaining a constant speed. Other signs may include unusual noises, vibrations, or warning lights on the dashboard.

What are the possible causes of car acceleration problem?

There are several potential causes of car acceleration problem, including a clogged fuel filter, faulty spark plugs, a malfunctioning mass air flow sensor, or a damaged transmission. Low fuel pressure, a dirty air filter, or a worn out clutch can also contribute to this issue.

Can car acceleration problem be fixed?

Yes, car acceleration problem can be fixed depending on the underlying cause. In some cases, it may require simple solutions such as cleaning or replacing a part, while in other cases, it may require more extensive repairs. It is important to have a professional mechanic diagnose and fix the issue to ensure proper and safe repairs.

How can car acceleration problem be prevented?

Regular maintenance of the vehicle is key to preventing car acceleration problem. This includes changing the oil and filters regularly, checking and replacing spark plugs and other components as needed, and ensuring the fuel system is clean and functioning properly. Additionally, driving carefully and avoiding aggressive driving can also help prevent this issue.