Why is my teacher calling 2m+(50s)(0.5m/s) pure piffle?

In summary, algebra is a branch of mathematics that involves manipulating symbols to solve equations and is important for real-world problem solving and higher-level math courses. The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and conversion between units can be done using the conversion factor method. Variables in algebra are symbols that represent changing values, and practicing and improving algebra skills can be done through solving problems, using online resources, or working with a tutor or study group.
thereidisanceman
2m+(50s)(0.5m/s)
=
2m + 25m/{s}^{2}
=
Not possible

My teacher keeps saying this is pure piffle and shaking his head. Can someone please explain this to me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have:

\(\displaystyle 2\text{ m}+\left(50\text{ s}\right)\left(0.5\,\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\right)=\)

\(\displaystyle 2\text{ m}+25\left(\cancel{\text{s}}\cdot\frac{\text{m}}{\cancel{\text{s}}}\right)=\)

\(\displaystyle (2+25)\text{ m}=27\text{ m}\)

oh... haha thank you!

Related to Why is my teacher calling 2m+(50s)(0.5m/s) pure piffle?

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. It is important because it helps us understand and solve real-world problems, and it lays the foundation for higher-level math courses.

2. What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be used to solve equations and simplify expressions.

3. How do I convert between units in algebra?

To convert between units in algebra, you can use the conversion factor method. This involves multiplying the given value by a conversion factor, which is a ratio of the two units. Make sure to cancel out any units that appear on both the top and bottom of the ratio.

4. What is a variable in algebra?

A variable in algebra is a symbol that represents a value that can change. It is usually represented by a letter, such as x or y, and is used in equations to solve for unknown values.

5. How can I practice and improve my algebra skills?

One way to practice and improve your algebra skills is by solving a variety of problems and equations, including word problems. You can also use online resources, such as tutorials and practice exercises, or work with a tutor or study group.