Why is the Gravitational Potential Energy formula negative?

In summary, the potential energy of gravitational fields is considered to be "negative energy" because masses attract rather than repel each other. This is why the potential energy formula for planets is negative and the absolute value decreases with increasing r. However, this does not affect the calculations as the zero reference for potential energy is taken at infinity. When the acceleration due to gravity is varying, the formula -GMm/r must be used instead of mgh. In both cases, the potential energy is negative as the gravitational force is opposite to the direction pointing from the ground.
Kyle91
Hey guys

So if I lift a book from the ground it gains potential energy. I do work on the book and when I release it the potential energy that I gave the book pulls the book back down to Earth.

However I was looking at a potential energy formula for planets which was

V = -GMm/r

But this doesn't make sense because a) why is potential energy negative and b) why does the absolute value of it get smaller with increasing r? The potential energy should increase with increasing r (it does, but because I don't understand the negative sign I'm thinking of its absolute value).

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
the potential energy of electric charges works exactly as you think it should. This is because like charges repel.

the potential energy of gravitational fields is considered to be 'negative energy' because masses attract rather than repel each other. Otherwise the total energy of the system would not be constant.

Your choice of a zero really makes no difference during calculations since you take the change, the reason that the formula is negative is because we take the zero of potential energy at infinity. It might seem odd at first but potential energy is calculated as the work in going from your zero to your end point (the point who's potential you are trying to find). If you want the zero to be at the centre of the object you're measuring against (planet, star etc) you get a division by zero, so instead we take the zero as infinity as a matter of convenience :)

When the acceleration due to gravity is approximately constant, we take any convenient zero reference for the gravitational PE and we can use mgh for the change in gravPE. For example when I lift a book one usually takes the original position of the book to be the zero reference level for gravPE. Then as the original poster said, the work done in lifting the book will be the increase in gravPE in book.

But when the acceleration due to gravity is varying appreciably one must use
gravPE = -GMm/r.

As I lift a book the work done against the pull of gravity will increase its gravPE. Since r will be increasing, then GMm/r will decrease. But increasing r will INCREASE this PE since the gravPE is negative.

See this

If the direction pointing from the ground is positive(it usually is), then the direction of gravitational force is negative(they're opposite, ain't they?)
..(+)...(-)...
...Λ...|...
...|...|...
...|...|...
...|...|...
__|_______V_____

For this system
That is V = ∫Fdx = ∫m(-9.8)dx = -9.8mx [integrate over upper direction:x>o]----->we have negative potential.

It can also be this(if you want):

..(-)...(+)...
...Λ...|...
...|...|...
...|...|...
...|...|...
__|_______V_____

For this system
That is V = ∫Fdx = ∫m(9.8)dx = 9.8mx [integrate over upper direction:x<o]----->we also have negative potential.

Last edited:

1. Why is the gravitational potential energy formula negative?

The negative sign in the gravitational potential energy formula represents the direction of the force of gravity. Since gravity always pulls objects towards each other, the work done by gravity is considered negative. This means that the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field decreases as it moves closer to the source of gravity.

2. Can you explain the relationship between negative potential energy and positive kinetic energy?

The negative potential energy of an object in a gravitational field is equal to the positive kinetic energy it gains as it falls towards the source of gravity. This is because as the potential energy decreases, the kinetic energy increases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the conservation of energy.

3. How does the negative potential energy affect the total energy of the system?

The negative potential energy contributes to the total energy of the system, but it is cancelled out by the positive kinetic energy. This results in a total energy of zero for the system. This is consistent with the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

4. Is the negative sign in the gravitational potential energy formula always necessary?

The negative sign is necessary in the gravitational potential energy formula because it indicates the direction of the force of gravity. If the sign were positive, it would mean that gravity is pushing objects away from each other, which is not the case. Therefore, the negative sign is essential in correctly representing the behavior of gravitational forces.

5. How does the negative potential energy affect the stability of a system?

The negative potential energy in a system indicates that the objects in the system are attracted to each other. This means that they are in a stable state, as they will remain close to each other due to the gravitational force. However, if the total energy of the system is positive, this would indicate a repulsive force and an unstable system. Therefore, the negative potential energy plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a system.