Why is the growth of exps & logs so fast & slow, respectively?

• B
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: I think you meant "big P...the largest positive real number that can be written as the product of finite, nonnegative terms".Yes, I meant "big O".
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I don't understand the theorem that proves the question of the thread's title.
Hi, PF, there goes the theorem, questions, and attempt
THEOREM 4 If ##x>0##, then ##\ln x\leq{x-1}##
PROOF Let ##g(x)=\ln x-(x-1)## for ##x>0##. Then ##g(1)=0## and

##g'(x)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{x}-1\quad\begin{cases}>0&\mbox{if}\,0<x<1\\
<0&\mbox{if}\,x>1\end{cases}## (...). Thus, ##g(x)\leq{g(1)=0}##, ## \forall {x>0}## and ##\ln x\leq{x-1}## for all such ##x##

Question: The proof, why implies the quick growth of ##e^x## and the steady growing of ##\ln x##?

Attempt: ##g## grows in ##x\in{(0,1)}## and decreases in ##x\in{(1,\infty)}## (##g'(x)>0\,\forall{(0<x<1)}## and ##g'(x)<0\,\forall{(1<x<\infty)}##

Greetings!

Logaritmo neperiano.jpg

I will post without preview, apologizes. If it makes no sense, I will repeat promptly

Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
Question: The proof, why implies the quick growth of ##e^x## and the steady growing of ##\ln x##?
Let us take the latter question first: "How does the proof imply the steady growth of ##\ln x##?

What do you even mean by the "steady growth" of ##\ln x##?

Certainly the proof examines the difference between the first derivative of ##\ln x## and the first derivative of ##x-1##. It concludes that the "growth rate" (first derivative) of ##\ln x## is less than the growth rate of ##x-1##.

By itself, this does not assure us that ##\ln x## even has a growth rate. But we can easily see that indeed, ##\ln x## is strictly monotone increasing.

I suppose that "strictly monotone increasing" with a growth rate that is always less than 1 might count as "steady growth" to you.

Personally, I'd use the adjective "steady growth" for something with a growth rate that converged on a positive constant. ##\ln x## does not qualify.We are in a position now to attack the other question: "How does the proof imply the quick growth of ##\ln x##?

That answer is shorter. It does not.

Roughly speaking, the proof of the first part puts a bound on the graph of ##\ln x##. It bounds it below a 45 degree line, the graph of ##f(x) = x-1##. The graph of ##e^x## will be the mirror image, obtained by swapping the x and y axes. The proof puts a lower bound on ##e^x## at the mirror image 45 degree line, the graph of ##f(x) = x + 1##.

There are plenty of "steadily growing" functions with such a lower bound.

Likes PeroK and scottdave
It depends on where on the x-axis whether it is increasing rapidly or slowly. I've forgotten a lot of Spanish, but I think it is asking about when x is large.

You might like to check Courant’s “Differential and Integral Calculus”, Vol. I, Rev. Ed., about the order of magnitude of functions, pp. 189.

Hi, PF, @jbriggs444, @scottdave, @apostolosdt.

jbriggs444 said:
Let us take the latter question first: "How does the proof imply the steady growth of ##\ln x##?

What do you even mean by the "steady growth" of ##\ln x##?

It's been an own's and free translation, @jbriggs444. I agree with your statement:

jbriggs444 said:
I suppose that "strictly monotone increasing" with a growth rate that is always less than 1 might count as "steady growth" to you.

This is, for all ##x## and ##y## such that ##x\leq y\rightarrow{f(x)\leq{f(y)}}##. One question: how could I get some info on growth rate?

Now, the question I do not solve is that ##e^x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how large the power), while ##\ln x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how small the power). The fact that ##g(x)\leq{g(1)=0}## for all ##x>0## and ##\ln\leq{x-1}## for all such ##x## is bounds, but not a proof of the singular growing properties of ##\ln x## and ##e^x##.

Now I think that it is all about introducing exponential growth and decay models, a few paragraphs forward.

Greetings!

mcastillo356 said:
This is, for all ##x## and ##y## such that ##x\leq y\rightarrow{f(x)\leq{f(y)}}##. One question: how could I get some info on growth rate?
The terminology I learned (in the 70's) for that attribute is "monotone increasing".

If one strengthens the inequality to ##x \lt y \rightarrow f(x) \lt f(y)## then the term is "strictly monotone increasing".

So a constant function such as ##f(x) = 1## would be "monotone increasing" but not "strictly monotone increasing". A function such as ##f(x) = x^3## would be both monotone increasing and strictly monotone increasing despite the inflection at ##x=0##.

mcastillo356 said:
Now, the question I do not solve is that ##e^x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how large the power), while ##\ln x## increases more slowly than any positive power of ##x## (no matter how small the power).
Here, you appear not to be worried about any constant multiplier or fixed offset. So, for instance, you would say that ##x^2## increases more rapidly than ##10x + 15##.

That sounds like an application for "big O notation".

Last edited:
Likes mcastillo356

1. Why do exponential functions grow so quickly?

Exponential functions grow quickly because the output value increases at an increasingly faster rate as the input value increases. This is due to the fact that the exponent, which determines the rate of growth, is constantly increasing.

2. Why do logarithmic functions grow slowly?

Logarithmic functions grow slowly because the output value increases at a slower rate as the input value increases. This is because the logarithm function is the inverse of the exponential function, meaning it "undoes" the rapid growth of the exponential function.

3. How do exponential and logarithmic functions compare in terms of growth?

Exponential functions grow much faster than logarithmic functions. This is because exponential functions have a constantly increasing exponent, while logarithmic functions have a constantly increasing base.

4. Why is the growth of exponential functions considered "unbounded"?

The growth of exponential functions is considered unbounded because there is no limit to how large the output value can become as the input value increases. In other words, there is no maximum value that the function can reach.

5. How does the rate of growth of exponential and logarithmic functions change as the input value increases?

The rate of growth for exponential functions increases as the input value increases, while the rate of growth for logarithmic functions decreases as the input value increases. This is because the exponent in exponential functions increases at a faster rate, while the base in logarithmic functions increases at a slower rate.