Why is there a negative charge on the oxygen atom with the single bond?

In summary, the negative charge on the oxygen atom with the single bond, why not on the oxygen atom with the double bond? I am confused.
Indranil
Please post this type of questions in homework section using the template.
ozone_final.PNG

My question is that why is the negative charge on the oxygen atom with the single bond, why not on the oxygen atom with the double bond? I am confused.
Source: https://chem-net.blogspot.in/2012/01/simple-procedure-for-writing-lewis.html

Attachments

• ozone_final.PNG
    ozone_final.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,281
Physics news on Phys.org
Count the electrons ... (use factor 0.5 for shared electrons)

BvU said:
Count the electrons ... (use factor 0.5 for shared electrons)
I don't understand what you mean. Could you make your point easier, please? Could you tell me the method, please?

For each atom count electrons "belonging" to that atom, if an electron is shared by two atoms, count it as half.

Borek said:
For each atom count electrons "belonging" to that atom, if an electron is shared by two atoms, count it as half.
Still, I don't understand how to count. Could you clarify it, please?

Each dot is a single electron, each bar is a bond - so two shared electrons.

How many dots on the left atom? How many shared electrons on the left atom? Just add.

Borek said:
Each dot is a single electron, each bar is a bond - so two shared electrons.

How many dots on the left atom? How many shared electrons on the left atom? Just add.
If I count from the left atom with the double bond, 4 dots, and two shared electrons, total electrons are 8. now what to do next, sir?

Indranil said:
4 dots, and two shared electrons, total electrons are 8

4+2 is not 8.

How many electrons should be present on the valence shell in a neutral, isolated oxygen atom?

It should be 6 electrons. Now what to do next, sir?

Don't "sir" me.

As I wrote - your calculations are off, correct them. And use the same approach to calculate number of electrons on other oxygen atoms.

Likes Bystander
Borek said:
Don't "sir" me.

As I wrote - your calculations are off, correct them. And use the same approach to calculate number of electrons on other oxygen atoms.
Still, I am confused. Could you calculate, please?

I am not going to spoon feed you, sorry. You will either try, or you will not learn anything.

Borek said:
I am not going to spoon feed you, sorry. You will either try, or you will not learn anything.
How to try. could you give me some formula?.

What formula do you need to count the dots on the picture?

Likes Bystander
Borek said:
What formula do you need to count the dots on the picture?
Formal charge.

I have no idea what you mean now.

You were told to count electrons, you even did it - you just made a trivial mistake when adding two numbers. Please reread the thread, you were told what to do several times. If you know what the dots and bars on the resonance structure are the task is trivial.

1. Why does oxygen have a negative charge in a single bond?

The negative charge on oxygen in a single bond is due to its high electronegativity. Oxygen is highly electronegative, meaning it has a strong attraction for electrons. In a single bond, oxygen pulls the shared electrons closer to itself, resulting in a partial negative charge.

2. How does the negative charge on oxygen affect its chemical properties?

The negative charge on oxygen makes it highly reactive and increases its ability to attract positively charged atoms or molecules. This is why oxygen is essential for many chemical reactions and is involved in forming many compounds.

3. Is the negative charge on oxygen always present in a single bond?

Yes, the negative charge on oxygen is always present in a single bond due to its high electronegativity. However, the magnitude of the negative charge may vary depending on the other atoms involved in the bond and the strength of their electronegativity.

4. Can the negative charge on oxygen be removed?

Yes, the negative charge on oxygen can be removed by sharing its electrons with another atom or by transferring its electrons to a positively charged atom. This can happen in chemical reactions and is what allows oxygen to form stable compounds with other elements.

5. How does the negative charge on oxygen contribute to the overall charge of a molecule?

The negative charge on oxygen, along with the charges on other atoms in a molecule, contributes to the overall charge of the molecule. If oxygen has a higher negative charge, it will contribute more to the overall negative charge of the molecule, and vice versa. This charge distribution plays a crucial role in the physical and chemical properties of molecules.