Why is this closed line integral zero?

In summary, the Kelvin circulation theorem states that if density "rho" is a function of only pressure "p", then closed line integral of grad(p) / rho(p) equals zero. This theorem is implied by the gradient theorem, and can be proven using the following vector identity. Additionally, it can be shown that g(F(x)) * grad(F(x)) is also zero, by using the gradient identity and the Stokes theorem.
kmot
TL;DR Summary
By gradient theorem, if f(x)=grad(F(x)), where F(x) is conservative field, then closed line integral of f is zero. Books tell me that also g(F(x)) * grad(F(x)) is zero. I can't derive why.
This problem comes from fluid dynamics where Kelvin circulation theorem states, that if density "rho" is a function of only pressure "p", then closed line integral of grad(p) / rho(p) equals zero. It seems so trivial, so that no one ever gives reason for this claim.

When trying to solve it, I've generalized it to the following:
If f(x)=grad(F(x)), then closed line integral of f(x) is zero, by gradient theorem. From this, it somehow follows that g(F(x)) * grad(F(x)) is also zero.

I tried to rewrite:
g(F(x)) * grad(F(x)) = grad(g(F(x)) * F(x)) - grad(g(F(x))) * F(x), by a gradient identity similar to derivative of product
And somehow show that the expanded form can be rewritten as a gradient of some function. I did not succeed.

Can somebody help me?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What is g here, and what exactly does the multiplication by grad(F(x)) mean?

kmot said:
Summary:: By gradient theorem, if f(x)=grad(F(x)), where F(x) is conservative field,

So [itex]f[/itex] is the vector field which is the gradient of the scalar field [itex]F[/itex]? We would then say that [itex]f[/itex] is the conservative field.

then closed line integral of f is zero. Books tell me that also g(F(x)) * grad(F(x)) is zero. I can't derive why.

It's the gradient of [itex]G(\mathbf{x}) = \int_0^{F(\mathbf{x})} g(t)\,dt[/itex].

This problem comes from fluid dynamics where Kelvin circulation theorem states, that if density "rho" is a function of only pressure "p", then closed line integral of grad(p) / rho(p) equals zero. It seems so trivial, so that no one ever gives reason for this claim.

I don't think that's what the theorem actually says.

But in any event, [itex]\nabla p / \rho[/itex] can be written as [itex]\nabla G = \frac{dG}{dp}\nabla p[/itex] by taking [tex]\frac{dG}{dp} = \frac 1{\rho(p)}.[/tex]

Likes WWGD and Delta2
pasmith said:
So [itex]f[/itex] is the vector field which is the gradient of the scalar field [itex]F[/itex]? We would then say that [itex]f[/itex] is the conservative field.
It's the gradient of [itex]G(\mathbf{x}) = \int_0^{F(\mathbf{x})} g(t)\,dt[/itex].
I don't think that's what the theorem actually says.

But in any event, [itex]\nabla p / \rho[/itex] can be written as [itex]\nabla G = \frac{dG}{dp}\nabla p[/itex] by taking [tex]\frac{dG}{dp} = \frac 1{\rho(p)}.[/tex]
That's wonderful. Thank you.

OK, Kelvin theorem doesn't say that per se, but it is implied. It says:
For barotropic fluid, i.e. fluid where ##\rho## is a function of only ##p##
##\frac{D\Gamma}{Dt} = \frac{D}{Dt}(\oint \vec{v} \,dl ) = 0##
After some manipulations, mainly inserting Newton's second law of motion it implies:
##\oint \nabla{p} \cdot \frac{1}{\rho} \,dl = 0##

I've found yet another way to prove this.
Convert line integral to surface integral using Stokes theorem:
##\oint{\frac{1}{\rho} \cdot \nabla p \, dl } = \iint_{A}{\nabla \times \left( \frac{1}{\rho} \cdot \nabla p \right) \cdot \vec{n}\, dA } = \iint_{A}{\left(\nabla\frac{1}{\rho}\right) \times \left( \nabla p \right) \cdot \vec{n}\, dA } ##
Apply the following observation:
If ##\rho## depends only on ##p##, then their gradients point in the same direction. To see this it helps me to imagine their isosurfaces, which must be parallel.

Since cross product of parallel vectors is zero, then ##\left(\nabla\frac{1}{\rho}\right) \times \left( \nabla p \right) = 0 ##

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
What is g here, and what exactly does the multiplication by grad(F(x)) mean?
g is a generic function of which we know just that it depends only on F(X)
grad(F(x)) is gradient of F(x)

g is a function from ##\mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R}##?

Office_Shredder said:
g is a function from ##\mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R}##?
Yes. It's a density depending on pressure.

It looks like you solved it, but I believe I have another way that is very simple. There is a vector identity
## \nabla \times (u \vec{a})=u \nabla \times \vec{a}-\vec{a} \times \nabla u ##.
Let ## \vec{a}=\nabla F(\vec{x}) ##, and ## u=g(F(\vec{x})) ##.
The first term on the right side is zero because it is the curl of the gradient. With the second term, I think it gets ## \vec{a} \times \vec{a}=0 ## when you take ## \nabla u =g'(F(\vec{x})) \nabla F(\vec{x})=g'(F(\vec{x})) \vec{a} ##.
By Stokes the line integral ## \oint (u \vec{a}) \cdot dl=\iint \nabla \times (u \vec{a}) \cdot dS=0 ##.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

1. Why does a closed line integral have a value of zero?

A closed line integral has a value of zero because it represents the net change in a scalar field around a closed loop. Since the loop is closed, the starting and ending points are the same, resulting in a net change of zero.

2. What does it mean for a closed line integral to be zero?

When a closed line integral is zero, it means that the vector field being integrated is conservative. This means that the path taken by the integral does not affect the final value, and the field only depends on the starting and ending points.

3. Can a closed line integral ever have a value other than zero?

No, a closed line integral will always have a value of zero as long as the vector field is conservative. If the field is not conservative, the integral will have a non-zero value and will depend on the path taken.

4. How is a closed line integral related to Green's theorem?

Green's theorem states that the line integral around a closed loop is equal to the double integral over the enclosed region of the partial derivatives of the vector field. This means that if the partial derivatives are equal, the closed line integral will be zero.

5. Why is it important for a closed line integral to be zero?

A closed line integral being zero is important because it indicates that the vector field is conservative. This allows for easier calculations and a simpler understanding of the field's behavior. It also has important applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of conservative forces and the calculation of work done by a force.