Why is this function not ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##?

laurabon
Hi everyone in the following expression
##f(t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int\left(\int f(u) e^{-i \omega u} d u\right) e^{i \omega t} d \omega ##

the book says I can't swap integrals bacause the function

##f(u) e^{i \omega(t-u)}## is not ## L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##

why ? complex exponential is not always bounded?

Physics news on Phys.org
What properties does ##f(u)## have?

FactChecker said:
What properties does ##f(u)## have?
it is Fuorier inverse theorem with ##f## in ##L^1(\mathbb{R})##

laurabon said:
##f(t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int\left(\int f(u) e^{-i \omega u} d u\right) e^{i \omega t} d \omega ##

Note that ##\sin## and ##\cos## are not integrable over ##\mathbb R##.

Likes FactChecker
PeroK said:
Note that ##\sin## and ##\cos## are not integrable over ##\mathbb R##.
I came up with this . Is correct? ##
\begin{aligned}
& \left|f(u) e^{i \omega(t-u)}\right|=|f(u)| \\
& \iint|f(u)|=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} c = \infty
\end{aligned}##

how should I use the fact that sin and cosine are not integrable ?I mean to verify that is in L1 I always have to use the fact that ##|e^{i \omega(t-u)}|=1## I think

laurabon said:
I came up with this . Is correct? ##
\begin{aligned}
& \left|f(u) e^{i \omega(t-u)}\right|=|f(u)| \\
& \iint|f(u)|=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} c = \infty
\end{aligned}##

how should I use the fact that sin and cosine are not integrable ?I mean to verify that is in L1 I always have to use the fact that ##|e^{i \omega(t-u)}|=1## I think
I don't think that works. First, let's take ##t = 0##, where the integral reduces to:
$$f(0) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \bigg ( \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(u)e^{-iwu}\ du \bigg ) \ dw$$If we try to swap the integrals and look at:$$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(u) \bigg ( \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-iwu}\ dw \bigg ) \ du$$We can see immediately that the inner integral does not converge and does not represent a well-defined function of ##u##. Because neither ##\cos(wu)## nor ##\sin(wu)## is integrable with respect to ##w## on all of ##\mathbb R##.

Likes FactChecker
laurabon said:

Notice f(x)==1 is also bounded. To be able to be in ##L^1(X)## , where ##X## itself is unbounded, your f has to decrease fast-enough.

1. Why is it important for a function to be in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##?

Being in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## means that the function is Lebesgue integrable, which is a crucial concept in measure theory and analysis. It allows for the calculation of integrals over unbounded domains and is essential in many areas of mathematics and physics.

2. What is the difference between ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## and ##L^2(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##?

The main difference between ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## and ##L^2(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## is that the former deals with functions whose absolute value is integrable, while the latter deals with functions whose square is integrable. This means that ##L^2(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## is a stricter condition and includes functions that are not in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##.

3. Can a function be in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## but not in ##L^2(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##?

Yes, a function can be in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## but not in ##L^2(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##. For example, the function ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}## is in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## but not in ##L^2(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##, as its absolute value is integrable but its square is not.

4. What are the criteria for a function to be in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##?

A function must satisfy two main criteria to be in ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})##: it must be measurable and its absolute value must be integrable. Measurability means that the function can be broken down into measurable sets, while integrability means that the integral of the absolute value of the function over its domain is finite.

5. How is ##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## used in real-world applications?

##L^1(\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R})## is used in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as probability theory, signal processing, and differential equations. It allows for the calculation of important quantities, such as expected values and Fourier transforms, over unbounded domains. It is also used in the study of fractals and chaotic systems.