Why is this part of the forum called "Aerospace and Astronautics Engineering"?

• Thread starter John Mcrain
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the name of the "Aerospace and Astronautics Engineering" forum and whether it is necessary to mention both aeronautics and astronautics. Some argue that it is important to distinguish between air and space, while others suggest simply using "aerospace engineering". The forum moderators are open to suggestions for improvement.
John Mcrain
Why this part of forum is called " Aerospace and Astronautics Engineering "?
This don't make sense,because aerospace has two branches:aeronautics and astronautics.
So it will makse sense to call it only "aerospace engineering" or "aeronautics and astronautics engineering"

Likes atyy, lomidrevo and Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a discussion about clarity: are planes and rockets the same thing ort not? The double mention should avoid discussions at the other end of the definition. A rocket has no significant aerodynamical properties (with a grain of salt), whereas planes are more or less defined by those properties.

fresh_42 said:
It is a discussion about clarity: are planes and rockets the same thing ort not? The double mention should avoid discussions at the other end of the definition. A rocket has no significant aerodynamical properties (with a grain of salt), whereas planes are more or less defined by those properties.
I don understand you explanation..

Word aerospace include aeronautics and astronautics,so current title don't make sense.
Like you say "Internal combusiton engines and two-stroke engines"..
Two-stroke engines belong to internal combustion engines..

Likes atyy and Wrichik Basu
John Mcrain said:
I don understand you explanation..

Word aerospace include aeronautics and astronautics,so current title don't make sense.
Like you say "Internal combusiton engines and two-stroke engines"..
Two-stroke engines belong to internal combustion engines..
I am used to distinguish air and space, so I find it natural that they are mentioned both. In the end it is a definition. One which does not explain itself, since aero means air, not space.

gmax137 said:
I think @John Mcrain has a point.
We have a discussion thread going in the Mentor forums about this. It's been difficult to figure out the best name for that forum in the past, but we are open for improvements. Stay tuned please... :smile:

Likes atyy
fresh_42 said:
I am used to distinguish air and space, so I find it natural that they are mentioned both.
Aero-space has both.

berkeman said:
We have a discussion thread going in the Mentor forums about this. It's been difficult to figure out the best name for that forum in the past, but we are open for improvements. Stay tuned please... :smile:
I don't think it is a big deal. A rose by any other name...

Likes Wrichik Basu, DaveE, Astronuc and 1 other person
gmax137 said:
I don't think it is a big deal. A rose by any other name...
Yes it is not big deal but it is unprofessional.

John Mcrain said:
Yes it is not big deal but it is unprofessional.
Looks like the PF elves fixed that.

1600369985491.png

Likes John Mcrain, Astronuc, atyy and 1 other person

1. Why is this part of the forum called "Aerospace and Astronautics Engineering"?

The term "aerospace engineering" refers to the design, development, and construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technologies. "Astronautics engineering" specifically focuses on the design and development of spacecraft and the technology needed for space exploration. Therefore, this part of the forum is dedicated to discussions and information related to these fields of engineering.

2. What is the difference between aerospace and astronautics engineering?

While both fields involve the design and development of vehicles and technologies for flight, aerospace engineering primarily focuses on aircraft and related technologies, while astronautics engineering deals specifically with spacecraft and technologies for space exploration. Additionally, astronautics engineering often requires a deeper understanding of orbital mechanics and other factors specific to space travel.

3. What topics are typically discussed in this part of the forum?

Discussions in this part of the forum may cover a wide range of topics related to aerospace and astronautics engineering, such as aircraft and spacecraft design, propulsion systems, aerodynamics, materials science, and space exploration missions. Members may also share news and updates on advancements in these fields.

4. Is this forum only for professionals in the aerospace and astronautics industries?

No, this forum is open to anyone with an interest in aerospace and astronautics engineering. While professionals in these fields may have a deeper understanding and experience, members of all backgrounds are welcome to join in discussions and learn more about these fascinating fields of engineering.

5. Can I ask for career advice in this forum?

Yes, this forum is a great place to ask for career advice related to aerospace and astronautics engineering. Many members have experience and knowledge in these fields and can offer valuable insights and advice. However, please keep in mind that any advice given is based on personal experiences and should not be considered as professional guidance.