Why is this result different? (calculating the sides of a triangle)

In summary, this person plugged their angle into the surface area formula for a triangle, and got a different result than what was given in the textbook. However, the two solutions are the same up to the decimal point.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
Given the surface area of the right triangle = 22 cm^2 and one of his angles is 38°40'.
Calculate his other sides.
Relevant Equations
A=ab/2, tan(38°40')=b/a
so basically, here is a photo from the textbook(in attachments) and I'll write here how I did it. In my opinion, results should have been the same, but for some reason, they differ. So, if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it since I can't find mistakes caused by wrong calculations then it must be something conceptual that does not apply here, which is weird.
This is how I did it:
##A=\frac{ab}{2}## I wrote one side(b) using angle and the other side(a) like this: tan(38°40')=b/a --> 0.8a=b and then I plugged that in the formula for the surface of the triangle, after which I got b= 7.42. Which is the same as in solutions, this second part is what confuses me.

To calculate a, I just plugged b in 0.8a=b and got a=9.28. But in the textbook, b is plugged back in the formula for triangle surface and they got a = 5.93. After that our hypotenuses differ as well(obviously).
pf123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callmelucky said:
here is a photo
Where?

phinds said:
Where?
in attachments, don't know why you can't see it, it's shown to me

Attachments

• pf123.jpg
    pf123.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 73
I've edited your attachment to make it full size.

Callmelucky said:
This is how I did it:
##A=\frac{ab}{2}## I wrote one side(b) using angle and the other side(a) like this: tan(38°40')=b/a --> 0.8a=b and then I plugged that in the formula for the surface of the triangle, after which I got b= 7.42. Which is the same as in solutions, this second part is what confuses me.

To calculate a, I just plugged b in 0.8a=b and got a=9.28. But in the textbook, b is plugged back in the formula for triangle surface and they got a = 5.93.
Since your answer for b agreed with the one in your textbook, just use it and the given area to solve for a.
##22 = \frac 1 2 a \cdot 7.42 \Rightarrow 7.42 a = 22##
Doing this, the value I got for a, rounded to two decimal places was 5.93.

Likes Callmelucky
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: Given the surface area of the right triangle = 22 cm^2 and one of his angles is 38°40'.
Calculate his other sides.
Relevant Equations:: A=ab/2, tan(38°40')=b/a

so basically, here is a photo from the textbook(in attachments) and I'll write here how I did it. In my opinion, results should have been the same, but for some reason, they differ. So, if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it since I can't find mistakes caused by wrong calculations then it must be something conceptual that does not apply here, which is weird.
This is how I did it:

To calculate a, I just plugged b in 0.8a=b and got a=9.28. But in the textbook, b is plugged back in the formula for triangle surface and they got a = 5.93. After that our hypotenuses differ as well(obviously).
Textbook solution:
pf123-jpg.jpg

You said:
I wrote one side(b) using angle and the other side(a) like this: tan(38°40')=b/a --> 0.8a=b and then I plugged that in the formula for the surface of the triangle, after which I got b= 7.42.
Show the details of what you plugged into ##\displaystyle A=\frac{ab}{2}## to get ##b##.

(I suspect that you actually found that ##a=7.42## cm.)

Likes Callmelucky
Mark44 said:
I've edited your attachment to make it full size.Since your answer for b agreed with the one in your textbook, just use it and the given area to solve for a.
##22 = \frac 1 2 a \cdot 7.42 \Rightarrow 7.42 a = 22##
Doing this, the value I got for a, rounded to two decimal places was 5.93.
I got that too, but the way I solved it first time is also correct, that is why I posted question

SammyS said:
Textbook solution:
View attachment 323523

You said:

Show the details of what you plugged into ##\displaystyle A=\frac{ab}{2}## to get ##b##.

(I suspect that you actually found that ##a=7.42## cm.)
I found my mistake. What an idiot I am. I plugged the value of (a) instead of (b), and instead of multiplying with 0.8 I divided it by 0.8, therefore got the wrong result. I am sorry for waisting everybody's time. Thank you.

1. Why is the sum of the sides of a triangle always greater than the third side?

The sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side in order for the triangle to be a closed shape. This is known as the Triangle Inequality Theorem. If the sum of two sides were equal to the third side, the triangle would essentially be a straight line and not a closed shape.

2. Why do we use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the sides of a right triangle?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical formula that states the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is specifically applicable to right triangles, making it a useful tool for calculating the missing side lengths.

3. Can we use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the sides of any triangle?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem can only be used to calculate the sides of a right triangle. For other types of triangles, we must use other methods such as the Law of Cosines or Law of Sines.

4. Why do we need to know at least three measurements to calculate the sides of a triangle?

In order to use any of the methods for calculating the sides of a triangle, we need to know at least three measurements. This is because a triangle is a 2-dimensional shape and therefore requires two angles and one side, or two sides and one angle, to be fully defined.

5. Why might the calculated side lengths of a triangle be slightly different than the actual measurements?

This could be due to rounding errors or imprecise measurements. Additionally, if the triangle is not a perfect right triangle, the Pythagorean Theorem may not give an exact answer. In these cases, we can use trigonometric functions to find more precise measurements.