Why must the ring $K[x]$ have infinitely many irreducible polynomials?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the ring $K[x]$ has infinitely many irreducible polynomials when $K$ is a field. The proof involves considering the polynomial $g(x)=f_1(x)\cdot f_2(x)\cdots f_n(x)+1$ and showing that it either must be an irreducible polynomial or have a prime factor that is not in the set of irreducible polynomials $f_1(x), f_2(x), \dots, f_n(x)$. This leads to a contradiction and proves that there are infinitely many irreducible polynomials.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $K$ be a field.
I want to show that the ring $K[x]$ has infinitely many irreducible polynomials.I have done the following:

We suppose that there are finite many irreducible polynomials, $f_1(x), f_2(x), \dots, f_n(x)$ with $deg f_i(x)>0$.

Let $g(x)=f_1(x) \cdot f_2(x) \cdots f_n(x)+1$.

So that we can say that $g(x)$ can be written as a product of irreducible polynomials, what does it have to satisfy?? (Wondering)
Do we have to say something about the degree of $g(x)$?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, note that $g(x)$ modulo any $f_i(x)$ leaves reminder $1$, so none of them divides $g(x)$. But fundamental theorem of arithmetic over $K[x]$ says any polynomial can be written as a product of irreducibles over $k[x]$ so either $g(x)$ is a prime or it has some prime factor other than those $f_i$s. Both cases induces a contradiction. Thus there are infinitely many primes.

mathbalarka said:
Well, note that $g(x)$ modulo any $f_i(x)$ leaves reminder $1$, so none of them divides $g(x)$. But fundamental theorem of arithmetic over $K[x]$ says any polynomial can be written as a product of irreducibles over $k[x]$ so either $g(x)$ is a prime or it has some prime factor other than those $f_i$s. Both cases induces a contradiction. Thus there are infinitely many primes.
I understand! (Happy)So, could I formulate it as followed?? (Wondering)

We suppose that there are finite many irreducible polynomials, $f_1(x),f_2(x),\dots,f_n(x)$.

We consider $g(x)=f_1(x) \cdot f_2(x)\cdots f_n(x)+1$.

Each polynomial can be written as a product of irreducible polynomials over $K[x]$.
There are two cases:
a) $g(x)$ is an irreducible polynomial
b) $g(x)$ can be analyzed into irreduble polynomials

a) Since $g(x)$ is irreducible, it has to be $g(x)=f_i(x), 1\leq i \leq n$
Since $ f_i (x) \mid g(x)$ and $f_i(x) \mid f_1(x)\cdot f_2(x) \cdots f_n(x)$ we have that $f_i (x) \mid 1$, that cannot be true since $f_i(x)$ is not a constant. b) Since $g(x)$ can be analyzed into irreducible polynomials, it has to be $g(x)=f_i(x)q(x), 1\leq i \leq n$
Since $ f_i (x) \mid g(x)$ and $f_i(x) \mid f_1(x)\cdot f_2(x) \cdots f_n(x)$ we have that $f_i(x) \mid 1$, that cannot be true since $f_i(x)$ is not a constant.

Therefore, there are infinite many irreducible polynomials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or is the way I wrote it wrong??

Part 2 can be made simpler : $g(x)$ is either an irreducible, or product of irreducibles but $\prod f_i(x) + 1$ always leaves nonzero (in fact, 1) reminder when divided by $f_i(x)$ for any $i = 1, 2, ..., n$. Thus $g(x)$ has an (well, nontrivial) irreducible factor not in $\{f_1(x), f_2(x), \cdots, f_i(x)\}$. This factor (which can in fact be $g(x)$, in case $g(x)$ is a prime) is our desired polynomial to contradict the hypothesis.

A word of caution : to construct $f_1(x)f_2(x) \cdots f_n(x) + 1$ you need to show first that there is at least *one* prime (nonconstant?) in $K[x]$. But this is always possible : take $x$. It's better to mention this part in your proof, although traditionally one just skips it as an obvious fact.

mathbalarka said:
Part 2 can be made simpler : $g(x)$ is either an irreducible, or product of irreducibles but $\prod f_i(x) + 1$ always leaves nonzero (in fact, 1) reminder when divided by $f_i(x)$ for any $i = 1, 2, ..., n$. Thus $g(x)$ has an (well, nontrivial) irreducible factor not in $\{f_1(x), f_2(x), \cdots, f_i(x)\}$. This factor (which can in fact be $g(x)$, in case $g(x)$ is a prime) is our desired polynomial to contradict the hypothesis.

A word of caution : to construct $f_1(x)f_2(x) \cdots f_n(x) + 1$ you need to show first that there is at least *one* prime (nonconstant?) in $K[x]$. But this is always possible : take $x$. It's better to mention this part in your proof, although traditionally one just skips it as an obvious fact.

I got stuck right now... (Worried)

Do you mean that I should formulate it as followed??

We consider $g(x)=f_1(x) \cdot f_2(x) \cdots f_n(x)+1$, with $deg f_i(x)>0, i=1,2, \dots, n$.

$g(x)$ is either an irreducible, or product of irreducibles, that means that $f_i(x) \mid g(x)$, for any $i=1,2, \dots, n$.

But since $f_i(x) \mid g(x)$ and $f_i(x) \mid f_1(x) \cdot f_2(x) \cdots f_n(x)$, it follows that $f_i(x) \mid 1$, which cannot be true, since $deg f_i(x) >0$.

Is this correct?? (Wondering) Or have I understood it wrong?? (Wondering)

Yes, that'd be the way to do it. (Yes)

mathbalarka said:
Yes, that'd be the way to do it. (Yes)

Great! (Yes) Thank you very much! (Smirk)

1. What are irreducible polynomials?

Irreducible polynomials are polynomials that cannot be factored into smaller polynomials with coefficients in the same field. This means that they do not have any nontrivial factors, and cannot be broken down any further.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial is irreducible?

To determine if a polynomial is irreducible, you can use the rational roots theorem, Eisenstein's criterion, or the reducibility criterion for polynomials over a finite field. If none of these methods apply, you can also try to factor the polynomial and see if it can be reduced.

3. Why are irreducible polynomials important?

Irreducible polynomials have many important applications in mathematics, particularly in fields like algebra, number theory, and cryptography. They also have practical uses in coding theory, signal processing, and other areas of science and engineering.

4. Can a polynomial be both irreducible and reducible?

No, a polynomial cannot be both irreducible and reducible. By definition, an irreducible polynomial cannot be factored any further, while a reducible polynomial can be broken down into smaller factors. Therefore, a polynomial can only be one or the other.

5. Are all polynomials irreducible?

No, not all polynomials are irreducible. In fact, most polynomials are reducible. However, there are infinitely many irreducible polynomials, and they play a significant role in many mathematical concepts and applications.