Why there is vapour in Dry CO2

• Thread starter turtleluc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2 Vapour
In summary, the dry ice sublimates due to the room temperature water and the CO2 gas has a lesser density than solid CO2 which results in many bubbles.
turtleluc

Homework Statement

Hi there, could anyone help me pls. I want to show my sons kinder class what happens when you put Dry Ice (solid CO2) into water but would like to know for them and for me what the actual process is when it sublimates. I don't understand why there are so many bubbles or even why there is a vapour. I need to make it extremely simple for them but think an acurate explanation is important and I love these things myself so would like to know as well. Also, is there anything I should be careful of, I am going to buy a kilo as that is the smallest amount I can purchase and pop it in a glass jar. Thanks so much for any help you are able offer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The CO2 sublimates because the temp and the pressure of the surroundings. CO2 can be liquid, but requires conditions of temp. and pressure that we do not normally encounter. When you put dry ice in water, it sublimates more rapidly at first because the room temp water is heating the CO2 more rapidly than if it was just in room temp. air. The bubbles are gaseous CO2. The CO2 is not all going to dissolve in the water, especially considering that water is much more polar. The vapor you see is actually just like fog. Its water in the air condensing out into tiny droplets because the dry ice has cooled it so much the water condenses into these little droplets. So The vapor you see is not gaseous CO2 its water. This is my understanding anyways. and it makes sense to me.

Thank you so much for your help! I really do appreciate it. I think the kids should really enjoy it (I do)

Do it with kool-aid or grape juice, and lots of sugar, and you'll have soda pop!
http://www.wikihow.com/Carbonate-a-Beverage

Make sure to avoid prolonged skin contact with the dry ice, though, it can give you frostbite.

MATLABdude said:
Do it with kool-aid or grape juice, and lots of sugar, and you'll have soda pop!
http://www.wikihow.com/Carbonate-a-Beverage

Make sure to avoid prolonged skin contact with the dry ice, though, it can give you frostbite.

thanks very much for your advice, if I can get some dry ice today I will be taking it in and will try your suggestion, thanks!

As far as why there are so many bubbles, gaseous CO2 has a much lesser density than solid CO2
1.562 g/mL (solid at 1 atm and −78.5 °C)
1.977 g/L (gas at 1 atm and 0 °C)

Notice, that's more than 100 times the density. In other words, for every mL of dry ice you place in the water, you will get more than one liter of CO2 gas.

Related to Why there is vapour in Dry CO2

1. Why does carbon dioxide (CO2) produce vapour?

Carbon dioxide is a gas at room temperature and pressure. However, when it is exposed to lower temperatures, it can turn into a liquid or solid form. When the liquid form of CO2 is released into the air, it quickly evaporates and turns into a gas, producing vapour. This process is known as sublimation.

2. Is vapour in dry CO2 harmful?

No, the vapour produced by dry CO2 is not harmful. CO2 is a non-toxic gas that is naturally present in the atmosphere. The vapour may cause some discomfort if inhaled in large quantities, but it is not considered a health hazard.

3. Why does dry CO2 produce more vapour than wet CO2?

Dry CO2, also known as anhydrous CO2, does not contain any moisture or water vapor. This lack of moisture allows for faster sublimation, resulting in more vapour production compared to wet CO2, which contains small amounts of water vapor.

4. Can the vapour in dry CO2 be used for any practical purposes?

Yes, the vapour produced by dry CO2 has several practical uses. It is commonly used in fire extinguishers, as the gas quickly displaces oxygen and suffocates the fire. It is also used in cryotherapy to rapidly cool and numb the skin for medical or athletic purposes.

5. Is the presence of vapour in dry CO2 an indication of impurities?

No, the presence of vapour in dry CO2 does not necessarily indicate impurities. As mentioned earlier, sublimation is a natural process that occurs when CO2 is exposed to lower temperatures. However, if the CO2 contains impurities such as water vapor or other gases, it may affect the amount of vapour produced.