Why there isn't a scattered photon in the Pe effect?

• Thread starter Conductivity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, Professor Leonard Susskind has a series of great courses on theoretical physics that are available on youtube. You don't need math beyond basic calculus to follow them. All of them are available on youtube. You should start with quantum mechanics, the second in the series, and work your way backwards.
Conductivity
We have studied the weird enough not continuous energy aka photons, And that they are like the way that waves interact with matter by giving them bursts of energy and that these photons have relativistic mass ( Before you give me the FAQ link, I have read it.). Mass is a property of energy. So it does have a momentum.

So the question is why we don't get photons scattered after they hit electrons on the surface of the metal? Why is the energy of the photon is completely absorbed?

One more question relating to photons, If waves deliver their energy in bursts (photons), does that mean the electrons instantly gain velocity?

Sorry if these questions don't make sense, In HS they just say: Okay, accelerated charges radiatie, These waves carry energy independently and energy is quantized.. Given by hf... E= mc^2 ( Of course everyone knows Special relativity now, I got a book and studied it, Fascinating stuff)... Light can have momentum and treated like balls with elastic collision... Remember Feynman's philosophy:(Shut up and calculate!)

Honestly, It isn't physics if you don't know the math behind everything so you can get a good understanding of every situation

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
It seems like you have a curious mind and want to know more physics. But you have a number of misconceptions, and you got a few things wrong. If we answer those, you'll just have more questions. So, rather than going through the details, I would like to suggest a course of study for you.

Professor Leonard Susskind has a wonderful series of courses on theoretical physics. You don't need math beyond basic calculus to follow them. All are available on youtube. I found that watching 10-15 minutes per day of his stuff is a great way to learn. Find the first lecture here.

Likes davenn
anorlunda said:
It seems like you have a curious mind and want to know more physics. But you have a number of misconceptions, and you got a few things wrong...
What are the misconceptions so I can focus on them?
I am pretty sure of my physics up to electromagnetic waves ( the concept of energy, The reason of accelerated charges emit radiation, How it is treated independently. These questions I can't answer) and the beginning of quantum mechanics.

Do you suggest I should start from the beginning or from a certain video? as I don't have a lot of time to watch it all.

A few sentences from an internet forum is not the right way to eliminate misconceptions. The real learning uses math.

If you don't have the time to go from the start, how about starting with quantum mechanics, the 2nd in Susskind's series of courses?

But if you have only 5 minutes to learn QM, I can't help you.

No no, By The beginning of quantum mechanics. I don't mean the actual theory. Just how it started: Blackbody radiation, Compton effect, Photoelectric effect then we get to study atomic physics and after that nuclear physics all in about 2 months. Not to mention the other 8 subjects we have. I am in high school and these are the topics we have for this year.

That is still considered classical isn't?

And of course no one can learn quantum mechanics in years. By no time, I meant I don't have a lot of time to finish this chapter. If it was summer I would totally watch the whole series

Conductivity said:
We have studied the weird enough not continuous energy aka photons, And that they are like the way that waves interact with matter by giving them bursts of energy and that these photons have relativistic mass ( Before you give me the FAQ link, I have read it.). Mass is a property of energy. So it does have a momentum.

So the question is why we don't get photons scattered after they hit electrons on the surface of the metal? Why is the energy of the photon is completely absorbed?

One more question relating to photons, If waves deliver their energy in bursts (photons), does that mean the electrons instantly gain velocity?

Sorry if these questions don't make sense, In HS they just say: Okay, accelerated charges radiatie, These waves carry energy independently and energy is quantized.. Given by hf... E= mc^2 ( Of course everyone knows Special relativity now, I got a book and studied it, Fascinating stuff)... Light can have momentum and treated like balls with elastic collision... Remember Feynman's philosophy:(Shut up and calculate!)

Honestly, It isn't physics if you don't know the math behind everything so you can get a good understanding of every situation

I highlighted in red the incorrect things. You think that your understanding is perfect except for a few gaps. Based on what you wrote, I think you are grabbing disconnected bits and pieces from many places and putting them together incorrectly. Correcting a few misconceptions, is not the way forward. Methodical study and courses are. I wish you well in your studies.

p.s. Susskind can teach you the essentials of QM in only 20 hours, not years.

Likes davenn
A great shame you did not get more encouragement here!
Nothing expressed here is definitive and of course you can learn something in 5 minutes.
Not everyone would agree with the red highlighted portions in your post .

1. Why does the photoelectric effect only produce a single, unscattered photon?

The photoelectric effect, discovered by Albert Einstein, is a phenomenon in which photons (particles of light) are absorbed by atoms and cause the emission of electrons. According to the laws of conservation of energy and momentum, the energy and momentum of the absorbed photon must be transferred completely to the electron, resulting in the emission of a single, unscattered photon.

2. How does the energy of the absorbed photon affect the scattered photon in the photoelectric effect?

The energy of the absorbed photon determines the energy of the emitted electron, but it has no effect on the scattered photon. This is because the scattered photon is not directly involved in the photoelectric effect, and the energy and momentum of the absorbed photon are completely transferred to the electron.

3. Can the photoelectric effect produce a scattered photon under any circumstances?

No, the photoelectric effect is a one-step process in which the absorbed photon immediately transfers its energy and momentum to the electron, resulting in the emission of a single, unscattered photon. There are no circumstances in which a scattered photon is produced in this process.

4. Why is the photoelectric effect important in understanding the behavior of electrons?

The photoelectric effect is important because it provides evidence for the particle nature of light (photons) and the quantization of energy. It also helped to develop the concept of wave-particle duality, which is important in understanding the behavior of electrons and other particles.

5. Can the photoelectric effect occur with any material, or only specific ones?

The photoelectric effect can occur with any material, but the threshold frequency of the material determines whether or not the effect will be observed. The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light required to cause the photoelectric effect, and it varies for different materials. Only when the frequency of the incident light is equal to or greater than the threshold frequency will the photoelectric effect occur.