Why use the Legendre transform over back substitution

In summary, the Legandere Legendre transform is a mathematical tool used in thermodynamics to switch between different descriptions of a system by changing the control variable. It is often preferred over directly writing one variable in terms of another due to the nature of control variables in thermodynamics. This transform allows for easier analysis of complex systems without the need to solve for one variable in terms of the other.
nashed
In thermodynamics we use a variation of the Legandere Legendre transform to move from one description of the system to another ( depending on what is the control variable...), but I don't understand why choose to use the Legandere Legendre transform over writing x in terms of s=dy/dx and back substituting to y=f(x), please refrain from using differential forms if you can, as much as I tried I just don't seem to have the foundations to understand them (being a physics student) and unfortunately I really don't have the time to try and cover everything needed to understand them.

Mod note: Fixed misspelling of Legendre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question about the use of the Legandere Legendre transform in thermodynamics. I understand that you are a physics student and may not have a strong foundation in differential forms. I will try my best to explain the reasoning behind using this transformation without using differential forms.

The Legandere Legendre transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to switch between different descriptions of a system by changing the control variable. In thermodynamics, we often encounter situations where we need to change the control variable to better understand the behavior of the system. This is where the Legandere Legendre transform becomes useful.

For example, let's say we have a system described by a variable x and we want to change the control variable to y. We can do this by using the Legandere Legendre transform, which involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to x and then substituting it into the original function. This results in a new function in terms of y, which gives us a different description of the system.

Now, you may be wondering why we choose to use the Legandere Legendre transform instead of simply writing x in terms of y. The reason for this is that in thermodynamics, we often encounter situations where the control variable is not a physical quantity, but rather a mathematical construct. In these cases, it is not possible to write x in terms of y directly.

Additionally, the Legandere Legendre transform allows us to easily switch between different descriptions of the system without having to go through the process of solving for x in terms of y. This can be very useful in complex systems where the equations may be difficult to solve.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the importance of the Legandere Legendre transform in thermodynamics. While it may seem complicated at first, it is a powerful tool that allows us to better understand and analyze systems. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Scientist in Thermodynamics

1. Why is the Legendre transform useful in scientific research?

The Legendre transform is useful in scientific research because it allows for the conversion between different forms of a mathematical function, making it easier to solve complex problems and analyze data. It is often used in thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Legendre transform differ from back substitution?

The Legendre transform and back substitution are two different mathematical techniques used to manipulate functions. While back substitution involves substituting one variable for another to simplify a function, the Legendre transform involves finding the conjugate function by taking the derivative of the original function. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the function and its properties.

3. What are the advantages of using the Legendre transform over back substitution?

The Legendre transform has several advantages over back substitution. It allows for the conversion between different forms of a function, making it easier to solve complex problems. It also simplifies the analysis of a function by finding its conjugate function, which can reveal important properties such as convexity and concavity. Additionally, the Legendre transform is applicable to a wider range of functions compared to back substitution.

4. Can the Legendre transform be used in other areas of science besides physics?

Yes, the Legendre transform has applications in various fields of science, including mathematics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is a powerful tool for solving optimization problems and analyzing data in these fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Legendre transform?

While the Legendre transform is a useful mathematical technique, it does have its limitations. It is not always possible to find the conjugate function for a given function, and certain functions may not have a Legendre transform at all. Additionally, the Legendre transform can be more complex and time-consuming compared to other mathematical methods, making it less practical in certain situations.