Why we don't use visible light to cook food?

In summary, microwaves are less effective than visible light when it comes to cooking food, but they are more efficient in transferring energy to water molecules.
Anindya Mondal
As we know that microwaves have less energy than visible light , then do we use microwave oven in cooking food instead of visible light?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure its because microwaves transfer energy to water molecules very efficiently. If you shine a micro-wave emitting flashlight on some water, it will heat up a lot more than if you shine a visible light emitting flashlight at some water.

Its about the specific frequency of the photons and that matching what water molecules will absorb.

Edit - I did some post-posting Googling (barn door after horse) and I am wrong. Its more about being able to generate enough power at a convenient frequency and how far into the food the radiation can penetrate as its dissipating its energy - not about making water molecules vibrate at some specific frequency.

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF
Normal sources of visible light are not high enough intensity unless you use a laser. You can use sunlight to cook although about half is infra red. .Another issue is that visible light does not penetrate material so cooking would only be on the surface you would have to rely on conduction to cook the inside.

x-rays have even more energy per photon. Why do you think they are not used for cooking? I can think of more than one reason.

Some years ago I saw an advert for a Pizza oven that used light sources for cooking. The ad claimed that they were faster blah blah. I did a quick search but as you can imagine "White light pizza oven" did not return anything useful.

Cheers

cosmik debris said:
Some years ago I saw an advert for a Pizza oven that used light sources for cooking. The ad claimed that they were faster blah blah. I did a quick search but as you can imagine "White light pizza oven" did not return anything useful.
Try a different search term... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy-Bake_Oven

Likes sophiecentaur and Grinkle
nasu said:
x-rays have even more energy per photon. Why do you think they are not used for cooking? I can think of more than one reason.
What is the reason?
nasu said:

Grinkle said:
I'm pretty sure its because microwaves transfer energy to water molecules very efficiently. If you shine a micro-wave emitting flashlight on some water, it will heat up a lot more than if you shine a visible light emitting flashlight at some water.

Its about the specific frequency of the photons and that matching what water molecules will absorb.

Edit - I did some post-posting Googling (barn door after horse) and I am wrong. Its more about being able to generate enough power at a convenient frequency and how far into the food the radiation can penetrate as its dissipating its energy - not about making water molecules vibrate at some specific frequency.
Why microwaves transfer energy to molecules more efficiently?

In addition to the above, microwave ovens work by creating a microwave cavity inside.

Note that infrared radiation is used at least in conjunction with convection for grilles.

1. Why do we use invisible light to cook food instead of visible light?

We use invisible light, such as infrared and microwave radiation, to cook food because these types of light have longer wavelengths that can penetrate deeper into the food. Visible light has shorter wavelengths and would only heat the surface of the food, resulting in uneven cooking.

2. Can visible light be used to cook food at all?

Yes, visible light can be used to cook food, but only for certain types of food. For example, solar cooking uses the sun's visible light to heat and cook food. However, this method is not as efficient as using invisible light and is limited to sunny days.

3. Are there any potential health risks associated with cooking food with visible light?

No, there are no known health risks associated with cooking food with visible light. However, prolonged exposure to intense visible light, such as from the sun, can cause skin damage and sunburn. This is why it is important to use protective measures, such as sunscreen, when cooking with visible light.

4. Is there a specific reason why we use infrared and microwave radiation for cooking?

Yes, there are several reasons why infrared and microwave radiation are commonly used for cooking. These types of light are readily available and can be easily manipulated to produce the desired amount of heat. They are also able to penetrate through materials, making them ideal for heating and cooking food.

5. Could visible light potentially be used to cook food more efficiently than infrared or microwave radiation?

It is unlikely that visible light could be used to cook food more efficiently than infrared or microwave radiation. As mentioned earlier, visible light has shorter wavelengths and would only heat the surface of the food, resulting in longer cooking times and potentially uneven cooking. Infrared and microwave radiation are better suited for cooking as they can penetrate deeper into the food and heat it more evenly and quickly.