Wikipedia Saves the Day - Quicker History Test Studying

• History
  • Thread starter Smasherman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, Wikipedia is a useful resource for studying for tests, as it allows for quick and easy access to information. However, it is not always accurate and may contain errors or biased information. Therefore, it should not be relied upon as a sole source of information, especially for controversial topics.
Smasherman
Thanks to Wikipedia, I can study for my history test quicker! Instead of utilizing the index, flipping pages, and scanning, I can just type and read!

Science news on Phys.org
Wikipedia rocks!

Smasherman said:
Thanks to Wikipedia, I can study for my history test quicker! Instead of utilizing the index, flipping pages, and scanning, I can just type and read!
Wikipedia is not always accurate.

An example in the worst presidents thread, Townsend decided Taft wasn't so bad because he read in Wkii that Taft founded Yellowstone National park, which is not true.

I checked and Taft's profile has been edited, the claim is no longer there.

True.

Welcome to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

So some things may need an edit, but it is the best first port of call.

So then it doesn't count as a valid source when you're arguin' right?

Mental Gridlock said:
So then it doesn't count as a valid source when you're arguin' right?
It's about as valid as snopes. Sure snopes is accurate a lot of the time, but they make a lot of mistakes. They originally had that Mr Ed really was a zebra, then they took that down and put it under the joke section to cover the mistake they had made.

Overall you can trust the wiki most of the time when dealing with undisputed things like how chromatography works. It gets sketchy when you try to lookup things that are heavily influenced by opinion, such as the history of Hitler. Did he have 1 testicle, or was that a myth made up to make people think of him as less of a man? Did he start up the holocaust because he was addicted to methamphetamines? Was he actually gay? I've heard rumors of all three of those. Which ones are true? Who knows.

Related to Wikipedia Saves the Day - Quicker History Test Studying

1. How can Wikipedia help me study for a history test quicker?

Wikipedia can provide a condensed and easily accessible overview of historical events, figures, and concepts. By utilizing the search function and skimming through the information, you can save time compared to reading through lengthy textbooks or lecture notes.

2. Is Wikipedia a reliable source for studying history?

While Wikipedia should not be used as a sole source for academic work, it can provide a good starting point for studying history. The information on Wikipedia is constantly edited and reviewed by volunteer editors, and most articles include citations to credible sources.

3. Can I trust the accuracy of information on Wikipedia for my history test?

Wikipedia has a reputation for being inaccurate, but studies have shown that its accuracy is comparable to other sources. However, it is important to fact-check information found on Wikipedia and verify it with other sources before using it for your history test.

4. How can I use Wikipedia effectively for studying history?

To use Wikipedia effectively for studying history, it is important to have a specific topic or question in mind. Use the search function to find relevant articles, and pay attention to the article structure, including the introduction and subheadings. Take notes and verify information with other sources.

5. Are there any tips for using Wikipedia to study for a history test?

One tip is to use the "Talk" page on Wikipedia to see any discussions or debates about the accuracy of the information in the article. Additionally, you can use the "View History" option to see the changes made to the article over time, which can give you a better understanding of the information. Finally, remember to always fact-check and verify information from Wikipedia with other sources.