Will Mixing CaCl2 and NaOH Solutions Form a Precipitate?

In summary, the question is asking whether a precipitate will form when solutions of CaCl2 and NaOH are combined with Ca(OH)2 at 25 degrees Celsius, given that the solubility product of Ca(OH)2 is 7.9 x 10^-6. The first step would be to calculate the ion concentrations of Ca2+ and OH- in the combined solution and compare them to the solubility product. If the ion concentrations exceed the solubility product, a precipitate of Ca(OH)2 will form.
proskier
Help please!

Here's the question I'm having problems with:

The solubility product of calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, is 7.9 x 10^-6 at 25 degrees celcius. Will a precipitate form when 100mL of 0.10 mol/L of CaCl2 solution and 50.0 mL of 0.070 mol/L of NaOH solution are combined?

Do I need to find the solubility product for CaCl2 and NaOH before I can determine if a precipitate will form when they're added to Ca(OH)2. Any help will be greatful. I don't even know if I'm on the right track or not.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
proskier said:
Help please!

Here's the question I'm having problems with:

The solubility product of calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, is 7.9 x 10^-6 at 25 degrees celcius. Will a precipitate form when 100mL of 0.10 mol/L of CaCl2 solution and 50.0 mL of 0.070 mol/L of NaOH solution are combined?

Do I need to find the solubility product for CaCl2 and NaOH before I can determine if a precipitate will form when they're added to Ca(OH)2. Any help will be greatful. I don't even know if I'm on the right track or not.

Thanks

Assume that CaCl2 and NaOH are both soluble at the specified concentrations.

Hello,

To determine if a precipitate will form when the two solutions are combined, you will need to calculate the concentrations of Ca2+ and OH- ions in the final solution. This can be done using the concentrations and volumes of the solutions being combined.

First, use the formula C1V1 = C2V2 to calculate the number of moles of Ca2+ and OH- ions in each solution. For CaCl2, you will have (0.10 mol/L)(0.100 L) = 0.010 mol of Ca2+ ions. For NaOH, you will have (0.070 mol/L)(0.050 L) = 0.0035 mol of OH- ions.

Next, use the solubility product constant (Ksp) to determine if a precipitate will form. The Ksp for Ca(OH)2 is 7.9 x 10^-6. The Ksp expression for this reaction is:

Ksp = [Ca2+][OH-]^2

Substituting in the values we calculated earlier, we get:

7.9 x 10^-6 = (0.010 mol/L)(x mol/L)^2

Solving for x, we get [OH-] = 0.028 mol/L.

Since the concentration of OH- ions is greater than the solubility product, a precipitate of Ca(OH)2 will form when the solutions are combined. Therefore, the answer to the original question is yes, a precipitate will form.

I hope this helps and clarifies the steps needed to solve this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do you calculate precipitation?

Precipitation is typically measured using a rain gauge, which collects and measures the amount of liquid precipitation (such as rain or melted snow) that falls in a specific area over a set period of time. To calculate the amount of precipitation, you would divide the volume of liquid collected by the area of the rain gauge opening.

2. What units are used to measure precipitation?

Precipitation is typically measured in units of length, such as millimeters or inches. These units represent the depth of liquid that would accumulate if the precipitation were spread evenly over a flat surface.

3. How do you convert precipitation measurements between units?

To convert between units of precipitation, you can use a conversion factor. For example, to convert from millimeters to inches, you would multiply the millimeter measurement by 0.03937. Conversely, to convert from inches to millimeters, you would multiply the inch measurement by 25.4.

4. How do you account for solid precipitation in calculations?

Solid precipitation, such as snow or hail, can be more difficult to measure and calculate than liquid precipitation. One method is to melt the solid precipitation to liquid and then measure it using a rain gauge. Another method is to use a special snow gauge that accounts for the density and depth of the snow to calculate the equivalent liquid precipitation.

5. How is precipitation used in weather forecasting?

Precipitation data is an important factor in weather forecasting, as it can provide insight into the amount and type of precipitation that may occur in a specific region. This data is used to create precipitation forecasts, which can help inform decisions related to agriculture, water management, and disaster preparedness. It is also used in conjunction with other weather data to predict severe weather events, such as hurricanes or thunderstorms.