Will the wrench move clockwise?

jeff einstein
TL;DR Summary
So on this diagram there is a wrench and a machine on it that pulls on the wrench will the wrench turn clockwise
Hey There,
I was just thinking up some ideas for machines that are independent of the ground to use in my work shop. I came across an idea but still haven’t made the machine, the machine is placed on the shaft of the wrench. I would like to know if this machine can successfully turn the wrench clockwise. Ignore the weight of the machine or the friction between nut and the screw. Please check the image for referance. Note that I know the perpendicular distance of force from pivot to force applied isnt correct but just for the sake of simplicity I have assumed this. The forces applied might be exaggerated but just deal with it.
599C458B-FACD-4D35-8C4D-386ECC1A73EA.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @jeff einstein
What does this mean
jeff einstein said:
TL;DR Summary: So on this diagram there is a wrench and a machine on it that pulls on the wrench will the wrench turn clockwise

machines that are independent of the ground

as in without contact to the ground like for example a lever (a simple machine) is intact with the ground and excerts a force on it. this machine i am talking about only exerts a force on the wrench

The machine is irrelevant.
The force is applied indirectly to the wrench, without a change to the force.

yes but the forces are applied at different places and so i say there must be a higher moment of pull compared to the downward force

jeff einstein said:
this machine i am talking about only exerts a force on the wrench
If your weightless machine only interacts with the wrench, then it cannot exert a permanent static torque on the wrench. It would have to be something dynamic, like a rocket or a flywheel that builds up angular momentum in the opposite direction.

Likes Lnewqban
For the wrench to provide a torque on the bolt the vector sum of all the forces (i.e. sum of force "arrows") on the wrench must have a magnitude greater than zero and a direction that is not parallel with the wrench arm. Usually torques are most easily obtained by providing a net force approximately perpendicular to the arm. Note that whatever (human or machine) that provides a force on the handle must itself get the "opposite" force (i.e. action equals reaction) from somewhere else. For a human body weight can be used when the wrench in near horizontal in addition with good friction with the floor for near vertical, but for a "light" machine attached to the handle it must push against something else which becomes "tricky" once the wrench rotates.

but the moment of the forces are different

jeff einstein said:
but the moment of the forces are different
Somehow I missed that you want to apply a force couple, sorry. A couple can produce a moment, yes, but then your "machine" must have an almost opposite moment elsewhere if it is to remain stationary wrt. the wrench.

Perhaps you can clarify what your specific question is?

We also need a better diagram of the "machine" that is built onto the handle of the wrench, that shows the point where the 50 N force is first applied.

Filip Larsen said:
Somehow I missed that you want to apply a force couple, sorry. A couple can produce a moment, yes, but then your "machine" must have an almost opposite moment elsewhere if it is to remain stationary wrt. the wrench.

Perhaps you can clarify what your specific question is?
i want to know if the machine will cause the wrench to turn clockwise not to remain stationary

Baluncore said:
We also need a better diagram of the "machine" that is built onto the handle of the wrench, that shows the point where the 50 N force is first applied.
i know the diagram is inaccurate i only want to know if any "machine" like such would work.

jeff einstein said:
i want to know if the machine will cause the wrench to turn clockwise not to remain stationary
Possibly yes, if you somehow can apply a force couple to the wrench arm and keep the couple fairly perpendicular as the wrench turn. But I am puzzled if you can apply a force couple why not just apply the single force at the longest arm? I assume you are aware any "machine" you attach to the wrench still has to cope with the reactions somehow (to keep it from moving and/or spinning freely).

Likes jeff einstein
i agree what i am trying to say is that even if invert the machine the wrench will still move but in the opposite. this is because the reaction force and the force applied is the same but one force is farther way from the pivot compared to the other. that is my theory

Last edited:
jeff einstein said:
You could try using the principle due to which the helicopters need to have a tail rotor, combined with the principle based on which an impact wrench works.
To achieve the above, your machine will need to have a rotating mass (in the same plane of the wrench) and some basic mechanism.
Note that the rotating energy could only be increased because the machine is connected to ground via the wrench and the nut, which can only be rotated in one direction.

• Informative
Likes Juanda
jeff einstein said:
i know the diagram is inaccurate i only want to know if any "machine" like such would work.
No. It will not work. The "machine" is an integral part of the wrench handle, it has nothing to work against besides that handle.

Exactly why it will not reverse, cannot be explained without some idea of how the "machine" is arranged. That you refuse to do, so we cannot produce the FBD that you should have presented.

1. Will the wrench move clockwise if I turn it to the right?

Yes, turning the wrench to the right will typically result in a clockwise movement.

2. What direction will the wrench move if I turn it to the left?

Turning the wrench to the left will usually cause it to move counterclockwise.

3. Does the direction of the wrench movement depend on the type of wrench?

Yes, the direction of movement can vary depending on the design of the wrench. Some wrenches may have a different mechanism that causes them to move in the opposite direction when turned.

4. Can the direction of the wrench movement be reversed?

Yes, in some cases, the direction of the wrench movement can be reversed by adjusting the mechanism or flipping the wrench over.

5. Is there a standard rule for determining the direction of wrench movement?

While there is no universal rule, most wrenches follow the convention of moving clockwise when turned to the right and counterclockwise when turned to the left. It's always best to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for specific guidance.