Wind turbine cut in speed decrease.

In summary, the speaker's aim is to lower the cut in speed of the horizontal turbines by using horns to speed up air. They plan to place a horizontal axis turbine in the middle of a hexagon structure with each side acting as a horn. The intake has a larger area than the face facing the turbine, with the speaker estimating a potential 2x increase in wind speed. They are unsure if this plan is effective and seek opinions from others. However, it is suggested that using a venturi with a smaller axis may be more effective in increasing air velocity and decreasing the cut in speed. The use of this drag-induced vacuum has been utilized by ancient civilizations for foundry fires and may provide better results for the wind turbine.
my aim is to lower the cut in speed of the horizontal turbines.
I know wind speed has a brutal effect on turbine output,
so I want to use horns to speed up air.

I plan to put a horizontal axis turbine in the midle of the hexagon
You see on the pic.

Each side of the hexagon is like a horn.
The intake has 2 times bigger area than the one faceing the turbine.
My guess is wind speed will increase.. In theory 2 times,
my best bet is 1,5 times..

Is.. my plan worth a shot, what You people think?
the intake side is 2m by 1 meter,
annnd the area at the turbine is 1m by 1m.

Will this help, or not?
I can't decide if the plan is o.k. or not.

http://trialhunters.net78.net/concept.bmp

Physics news on Phys.org
In fluid flow, drag is a much larger factor than pressure on the upstream side. You'd be better off to install the turbine at the small axis of a venturi with the downstream end of the venturi providing vacuum from the drag of wind moving past it than to try to jam more air volume into the inlet. Shape of the inlet bellmouth and taper of the outlet are critical but can be found many places online that deal with venturis.

The ancients used this drag induced vacuum to provide draft to metal foundry fires located on windy hillsides.

The air velocity will increase approximately two times given the dimensions you described. However given your picture it seems that you have a vertical turbine and not a horizontal one. The cut in speed will be decreased, however this "venturi" that you have created will have many negative affects on the performance of the wind turbine throughout the rest of the operating wind speeds.

Related to Wind turbine cut in speed decrease.

What is the definition of "Wind turbine cut in speed decrease"?

Wind turbine cut in speed decrease refers to the minimum wind speed at which a wind turbine starts to generate electricity. This is also known as the "cut-in speed" and is typically around 3-4 meters per second.

Why is the cut-in speed important for wind turbines?

The cut-in speed is important because it determines when a wind turbine will start generating electricity. If the cut-in speed is too high, the turbine may not be able to generate enough electricity to be economically viable. However, if the cut-in speed is too low, the turbine may not be able to withstand high wind speeds and could be damaged.

How does the cut-in speed affect the efficiency of a wind turbine?

The cut-in speed can greatly affect the efficiency of a wind turbine. If the cut-in speed is too low, the turbine may not be able to generate enough electricity to be efficient. However, if the cut-in speed is too high, the turbine may not be able to generate electricity at all, resulting in a loss of efficiency.

Can the cut-in speed be adjusted?

Yes, the cut-in speed can be adjusted by changing the turbine's control settings. This can be done to optimize the turbine's performance for specific wind conditions, such as changing the cut-in speed for a site with consistently low or high wind speeds.

What factors can affect the cut-in speed of a wind turbine?

The cut-in speed of a wind turbine can be affected by several factors, including the blade design, the size of the turbine, the type of wind generator used, and the site's wind conditions. Environmental factors such as temperature and air density can also impact the cut-in speed.