Wireless electrical power tranmission.

In summary, Intel is working on a wireless power transmission system that uses magnetic fields instead of electric fields. They claim that this system is more efficient than electric fields and doesn't have any negative side effects. However, I don't think this system has been demonstrated yet and there is still some research that needs to be done.
Topher925
For those of you that don't read yahoo news, there was an article this morning about Intel developing wireless power transmission. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080821/ts_afp/usitinternetenergychipcompanyintel"

Apparently there was a demonstration where they lit up a 60watt light bulb across the stage but gave no numbers of efficiency or strength of the field. However, the article states that they are using magnetic fields instead of electric fields to transmit this power. They apparently do this because humans are not affected by magnetic fields but are affected by electric fields.

I know Tesla was able to transmit power wirelessly and reported doing it with an efficiency of 95% IIRC. There was also his "dream" of providing wireless free energy to everyone in the world by tapping the outer atmosphere charged by solar wind which was the purpose of Wardenclyffe Tower. However, as far as I know no one has been able to achieve efficiency anywhere near what Tesla has claimed nor do it for the distance he has reportedly done it either. Is it actually possible that this could be done using magnetic fields without interfering with electronic devices like laptops and phones and such. Alternating magnetic fields just don't seem like they would be able to achieve what Intel claims they can without side affects to the environment they are in. My EM understanding isn't the strongest, so could someone shed light on how Intel might be able to achieve their claims?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A bit more information. Now that I see the actual demonstration, I'm less impressed.

A wireless power system is an utopian thought for many of us, but Intel is currently working on a solution that might revolutionalize the world in due time. This demonstration showed the device broadcasting 60 watts of power within a 3-foot range, featuring an efficiency level of 75%. This is made possible thanks to the same magnetic induction principle as all the other systems, but somehow Intel's engineers managed to squeeze out the most performance. To kiss goodbye to tangled power adapters for a plethora of gadgets that I carry is one dream I want to see before I leave this earth.

intel-wireless-power.jpg

Topher925 said:
For those of you that don't read yahoo news, there was an article this morning about Intel developing wireless power transmission. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080821/ts_afp/usitinternetenergychipcompanyintel"

Apparently there was a demonstration where they lit up a 60watt light bulb across the stage but gave no numbers of efficiency or strength of the field. However, the article states that they are using magnetic fields instead of electric fields to transmit this power. They apparently do this because humans are not affected by magnetic fields but are affected by electric fields.

I know Tesla was able to transmit power wirelessly and reported doing it with an efficiency of 95% IIRC. There was also his "dream" of providing wireless free energy to everyone in the world by tapping the outer atmosphere charged by solar wind which was the purpose of Wardenclyffe Tower. However, as far as I know no one has been able to achieve efficiency anywhere near what Tesla has claimed nor do it for the distance he has reportedly done it either. Is it actually possible that this could be done using magnetic fields without interfering with electronic devices like laptops and phones and such. Alternating magnetic fields just don't seem like they would be able to achieve what Intel claims they can without side affects to the environment they are in. My EM understanding isn't the strongest, so could someone shed light on how Intel might be able to achieve their claims?

MIT has been working on this.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/wireless-0607.html

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
A wireless power system is an utopian thought for many of us

Oh yes, let's unnecessarily subject ourselves to even far greater amounts of E/M fields, of unknown overall biological effect, than the large amount we already have. That hardly sounds like utopia to me.

You guys beat me to this.

How on Earth does this work? I must confess I'm totally clueless as to how this is possible. Are photons being exchanged and used to generate the current in the destination device? How does it get such high efficiency?

Topher925 said:
I know Tesla was able to transmit power wirelessly and reported doing it with an efficiency of 95% IIRC. There was also his "dream" of providing wireless free energy to everyone in the world by tapping the outer atmosphere charged by solar wind which was the purpose of Wardenclyffe Tower. However, as far as I know no one has been able to achieve efficiency anywhere near what Tesla has claimed nor do it for the distance he has reportedly done it either.
With all the conspiracy theory and crackpottery about Tesla out there, we must be careful to differentiate what Tesla claimed to have done with what others claim Tesla did. Those don't sound like claims Tesla would have made to me.

1. What is wireless electrical power transmission?

Wireless electrical power transmission is the process of sending electrical energy from one place to another without the need for physical wires. It uses electromagnetic waves to transfer power, similar to how wireless communication works.

2. How does wireless electrical power transmission work?

Wireless electrical power transmission works by using a power source, such as a battery or power plant, to generate an alternating current (AC) which is then converted into high frequency electromagnetic waves. These waves are transmitted through the air and received by a device equipped with a receiver, which converts them back into usable electrical energy.

3. Is wireless electrical power transmission safe?

Yes, wireless electrical power transmission is generally considered safe. The electromagnetic waves used for transmission are non-ionizing, meaning they do not have enough energy to cause harm to living organisms. However, precautions must be taken to ensure that the power levels are within safe limits.

4. What are the advantages of wireless electrical power transmission?

There are several advantages to wireless electrical power transmission, including reduced infrastructure costs, increased flexibility in power delivery, and the ability to transmit power over longer distances without the need for physical wires. It also eliminates the need for frequent maintenance and reduces the risk of electrical accidents caused by exposed wires.

5. What are the limitations of wireless electrical power transmission?

One limitation of wireless electrical power transmission is that it is not yet as efficient as traditional wired transmission. Some energy is lost during the conversion process and over long distances due to factors such as atmospheric absorption and interference. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and requires further development before it can be widely implemented.