Wolfram Alpha's Why the 2 i π n?

• B
  • Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary, Wolfram Alpha provides all solutions to the given equation, including complex solutions, while the expected single solution is x = log(y/a)/b. The extra 2 i π n term in the Wolfram solution accounts for the multiple branches of the logarithm function in the complex plane. The n=0 solution is the same as the expected one, but there are also n complex solutions that satisfy the given requirements.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Was going through an old spreadsheet and I re-did some math that I had originally noted that I had done incorrectly. It seemed trivially simple but I wanted to double check with Wolfram to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Here's what I typed in: solve for x when y = a * e^(b*x)

Wolfram Alphas solution: x = (log(y/a) + 2 i π n)/b and a!=0 and y!=0 and b!=0 and n element Z

Why did Wolfram Alpha add the ‘2 i π n’ ?
My solution was x = log(y/a)/b

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wolfram is giving you all the solutions, including complex solutions. The logarithm function has several branches in the complex plane, each with a valid solution. If you were not expected to know about the complex solutions, then your single solution was the expected one. Otherwise, the Wolfram answer is better.

Likes Hornbein, topsquark, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Plug the answer back in to your formula.$$\begin{eqnarray*}
y&=&ae^{b(\log(y/a)+2i\pi n)/b}\\
&=&ae^{\log(y/a)}e^{2i\pi n}\\
&=&ye^{2i\pi n}
\end{eqnarray*}$$The extra exponential on the right is a complex exponential - it turns out that ##e^{i\phi}=\cos(\phi)+i\sin(\phi)##. And that means that ##e^{2i\pi n}=1##, so the right hand side in my third line above is also equal to ##y##.

As FactChecker says, Wolfram is providing all solutions, including complex ones. The ##n=0## solution is the same as yours and is the only real solution. But ##n=\ldots,-3,-2,-1,1,2,3,\ldots## complex solutions also satisfy the requirements you gave Wolfram.

Likes FactChecker, topsquark, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Thanks!

Likes Ibix

1. What is the significance of the 2 i π n in Wolfram Alpha?

The 2 i π n in Wolfram Alpha represents the imaginary unit, i, multiplied by pi (π) and a variable, n. This is commonly used in complex analysis and represents a rotation in the complex plane.

2. Why does Wolfram Alpha use the notation 2 i π n instead of just iπ?

Wolfram Alpha uses the notation 2 i π n to allow for more flexibility in calculations. The variable n can represent any integer, allowing for a wider range of possible solutions.

3. How is the 2 i π n used in mathematical equations?

The 2 i π n is commonly used in complex analysis and trigonometry to represent rotations in the complex plane. It can also be used in Fourier series and other mathematical functions.

4. Can the 2 i π n be simplified or reduced?

No, the 2 i π n cannot be simplified or reduced further. It is a standard notation used in mathematics to represent a rotation in the complex plane.

5. Are there any real-life applications for the 2 i π n in Wolfram Alpha?

Yes, the 2 i π n has many real-life applications, including in electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in physics and chemistry to describe the behavior of waves and oscillations.