Wondering about how to deal with a deflating balloon?

• Thread starter jeebs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary, the conversation discusses the prediction of drag force on a deflating balloon and the difficulties in determining how the radius of the balloon changes with time. The pressure inside the balloon increases as it deflates, causing the airflow to be slow at first and then increase quickly towards the end. The area of the balloon decreases approximately linearly with time, making it challenging to accurately predict the drag force.
jeebs
Hi,
Not sure if this is asked in the right section, but I am doing something which involves moving a small car, and I am trying to make predictions from an air resistance perspective. I'm trying to come up with a rough expression for the drag force on a balloon as it deflates. I've started with the general expression for the drag force [tex] F_d = 1/2\rho AC_dv^2 [/tex].
To simplify things I'm assuming a spherical balloon, which has a radius rmax when it is fully inflated and a radius rmin when it is fully deflated, so it goes from having surface area A = pi(rmax)2 to pi(rmin)2. I realize the surface area of a sphere is 4pi.r2 but I need the area of the object presented to the oncoming air. I also realize that the velocity v is going to increase from zero to some maximum, but I'm ignoring that for now (perhaps unjustifiably, lol).

So assuming everything else (velocity v, air density rho and drag coefficient Cd) is kept constant, the balloon radius r determines the drag force Fd.

However, this is where I start to have problems, because I am not expecting r to decrease at a constant rate - my thinking is that, from the general spring force equation F=-kx, a balloon stretched (inflated) to the maximum is going to have a greater force trying to pull its molecules back to their original positions than if it is partially inflated. This means the rate at which air is forced out (ie. pressure decreases) falls with time.

I need to find out how r varies with time but all I can think of really is that its going to depend on the "stretchiness" of the balloon, ie. something analogous to the spring constant, k, and also the size of the hole that the air is escaping from. I'm not really sure where I should go from here, so if anyone has any ideas they think might be relevant I would love to hear them.

Thankyou.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
However, this is where I start to have problems, because I am not expecting r to decrease at a constant rate - my thinking is that, from the general spring force equation F=-kx, a balloon stretched (inflated) to the maximum is going to have a greater force trying to pull its molecules back to their original positions than if it is partially inflated. This means the rate at which air is forced out (ie. pressure decreases) falls with time.
I am not surprised you are confused. It is counter intuitive, the internal pressure rises as the balloon deflates.

The pressure difference across the balloon surface is determined by the tension in the surface and the radius of curvature of the surface, P = Ts / Rc. For that reason the pressure required to inflate a balloon is inversely proportional to the diameter of the balloon. As a balloon deflates the internal air pressure increases until tension in the skin is lost. Energy is not being stored so much in the compression of the air, as it is in the tension of the surface.

That explains why the airflow through the tube from the deflating balloon is slow at first, then increases to a maximum just before tension is lost. Since the balloon volume is the cube of the radius, the radius of a deflating balloon reduces slowly at first, then becomes very rapid towards the end.

For the purpose of propulsion, the higher velocity jet at the end of deflation is an advantage, but the area of the balloon, as far as the drag computation is concerned, will decrease approximately linearly with time.

• Informative
Likes JBA

1. How can I prevent my balloon from deflating?

To prevent your balloon from deflating, keep it away from sharp objects and sources of heat or cold. Also, avoid over-inflating the balloon as this can cause it to pop.

2. Why does a balloon deflate over time?

A balloon deflates over time due to the gas molecules inside the balloon escaping through small pores in the latex material. This process is called diffusion.

3. Can a deflated balloon be reinflated?

Yes, a deflated balloon can be reinflated as long as it has not been damaged or stretched too much. You can use a pump or your mouth to inflate the balloon again.

4. How long does a balloon typically stay inflated?

The length of time a balloon stays inflated depends on various factors such as the material of the balloon, the quality of the seal, and the surrounding temperature. On average, a latex balloon can stay inflated for 8-10 hours.

5. What should I do with a deflated balloon?

You can dispose of a deflated balloon in the regular trash. However, if the balloon is made of biodegradable material, you can also compost it or leave it to decompose in nature.