How Do You Solve a Word Problem Involving Charitable Donations?

In summary: Now we can write the equation:x + 0.25x + 0.50x = 525Combining like terms, we get:1.75x = 525Dividing both sides by 1.75, we get:x = 300So X donated $300, Y donated $75, and Z donated $150.
NotaMathPerson
Hello! Please take a look at so,ution to the problem

X, Y, and Z donated a sum of \$525 to a charity. For every dollar that X gives, Y gives 25 cents, and Z 50 cents. How much did each donate?

My solution

Let $x=$ amount donated by X
$25x=$ amount donated by y
$50x=$ amount donated by z

$x+\frac{50x}{100}+\frac{25x}{100}=525$

Solving for $x$ I get $x=$ \$300

Therefore $x=\$300$
$y=\$75$
$z=\$150$

Second method(thiss is where I am having trouble)

Let $x=$ amount donated by X
$25x=$ amount donated by y
$50x=$ amount donated by z

I convert everything into cents
$100x+50\cdot x\cdot100+25x\cdot100=52500$

Solving for x I get a different answer.

My thought process was the variable $x$ is in dollars hence I multiplied every term and both sides of the equation by 100 to convert it to cents.
Please tell me where I was wrong. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
With everything converted to cents the correct equation would be 100x + 50x + 25x = 52500.
You can see this by multiplying both sides of the equation you wrote for your first solution by 100.

greg1313 said:
With everything converted to cents the correct equation would be 100x + 50x + 25x = 52500.
You can see this by multiplying both sides of the equation you wrote for your first solution by 100.

Hello! Does that mean that whatever value of x I get in my 2nd solution is also in cents and be divided by 100 to convert back to dollar?

No. x is in dollars. Do you see why?

greg1313 said:
No. x is in dollars. Do you see why?

Hello again!

that is what confusing me. If x in my 2nd solution is in dollars, it should be multiplied by 100 to convert it to cents, juts the way i divided 50x by hundred to convert it to dollars. Please bear with me.

Say I have x dollars. To convert to cents I multiply by 100. That gives me 100x cents.

For every dollar person "x" gives, person "z" gives half of that, or 50x cents and person "y" gives 25x
cents, one-quarter of what person "x" gives.

You could work the problem as follows: x + x/2 + x/4 = 525, 4x + 2x + x = 525 * 4 = 2100,
2100/7 = 300, x = 300 and x is in dollars.

Maybe this will help:

Let x=x= amount donated by X
1/4x=0.25x= amount donated by y
1/2x=0.50x= amount donated by z

1. How do I set up and solve a word problem about money?

To set up and solve a word problem about money, you first need to identify what information is given and what information is missing. Then, you can use basic math operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to solve for the missing information.

2. What is the importance of word problems about money in real life?

Word problems about money are important in real life because they help us understand how to manage our finances and make informed decisions about spending and saving. They also help us practice basic math skills that are necessary for everyday tasks.

3. How do I convert between different currencies in a word problem about money?

To convert between different currencies in a word problem about money, you can use a conversion rate. This is the value of one currency in terms of another currency. Multiply the amount in one currency by the conversion rate to get the equivalent amount in the other currency.

4. How can I check my work when solving a word problem about money?

You can check your work when solving a word problem about money by plugging your answer back into the original problem and making sure it is correct. You can also use estimation to see if your answer is reasonable.

5. What strategies can I use to solve a challenging word problem about money?

Some strategies that can help you solve a challenging word problem about money include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, drawing a visual representation, and using trial and error. You can also try solving a simpler version of the problem or working backwards from the given information to the missing information.