Word problem involving sinusoidal model

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the temperature of an oven using a given equation and solving for the desired temperature. The suggested approach involves finding the time in one cycle where the temperature is above 280 degrees and using that to calculate the cooking time. The conversation also mentions using a graph to find the answer, but ultimately concludes that there is no easy solution to this problem.
Serious Max

Homework Statement

O4VHjHQ.png

Homework Equations

[tex]y=30\sin(\dfrac{2\pi}{20}t)+270[/tex]

General principal solutions:

[tex]t=\left(\dfrac{\arcsin(\dfrac{1}{3}) 20}{2\pi}\right)+20k, k\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]t=1.08173+20k[/tex]General symmetry solutions:

[tex]t=\left(-\dfrac{(\arcsin(\dfrac{1}{3})-\pi)20}{2\pi}\right)+20k, k\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]t=8.91827+20k[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was I divived 30 by the difference between these two values of time to find how many such segments I need to accumulate 30 min of 280 degrees:

[tex]\dfrac{30}{8.91827-1.08173}=3.828[/tex]

And then I can find the answer with a bunch of manual work, involving referring to the graph, but I just feel like this is a very ineffective approach.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement did not come through.

Likes 1 person
Thanks. Fixed it.

maxpancho said:
[tex]y=30\sin(\dfrac{2\pi}{20}t)+270[/tex]
... this is the equation for the temperature of the oven right?
Did you try sketching this and drawing a horizontal line for the desired temperature?

So your strategy is to find out how much time T1 in one cycle y>280F, divide the cooking time by T1 to find out how many cycles you need, then multiply that by the period.

What I did was I divived 30 by the difference between these two values of time to find how many such segments I need to accumulate 30 min of 280 degrees:

[tex]\dfrac{30}{8.91827-1.08173}=3.828[/tex]

And then I can find the answer with a bunch of manual work, involving referring to the graph, but I just feel like this is a very ineffective approach.
I think the main thing you have to watch for is the last fraction of a period... that what you wanted to refer to the graph for?

Anyway - that's the approach all right.

5qyxD9x.png

Yes, well, I find where the 4th segment ends and then subtract (4-3.828) times segment from it.

[tex] t=8.91827+20*3 [/tex] gives me coordinate where 4th segment ends and then I do the following:
[tex] t=(8.91827+20*3)-((4-3.828)*8.91827) [/tex]

So, yes, I just wanted to know if there is a better way to solve it or maybe it is supposed to be such a graph-involving problem. Well, maybe with calculus though, but I'm not yet at that level.

Well, actually not that much of "manual" work, just a less algebraic approach.

Well you could do it algebraically - but the graph approach is easier to think about.
AFAIK there is no fancy magic-wand approach - pretty much all alternatives involve headaches.

Related to Word problem involving sinusoidal model

What is a sinusoidal model?

A sinusoidal model is a mathematical representation of a periodic function, such as the sine or cosine function. It is commonly used to analyze and predict patterns in data that follows a periodic trend.

How do you solve a word problem involving a sinusoidal model?

To solve a word problem involving a sinusoidal model, you first need to identify the given information and what needs to be solved for. Then, you can use the equation for a sinusoidal function (y = A sin(Bx + C) + D) to plug in the known values and solve for the unknown value.

What is the amplitude of a sinusoidal model?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal model is the distance between the midline and the maximum or minimum point on the graph. It represents the maximum vertical distance the graph will deviate from the midline.

How does a sinusoidal model change with different values of A, B, C, and D?

The value of A (amplitude) affects the vertical stretch or compression of the graph, while B (period) determines the horizontal stretch or compression. C (phase shift) shifts the graph horizontally, and D (vertical shift) shifts the graph vertically. Therefore, changing these values will alter the shape and position of the sinusoidal model.

Can a sinusoidal model be used to predict future values?

Yes, a sinusoidal model can be used to predict future values as long as the data follows a periodic pattern. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the prediction depends on the quality of the data and the appropriateness of the model chosen.