Work done by a car engine up a slope

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy consumption of a car on a slope with friction. It is concluded that in both automatic and manual transmissions, the energy produced by the motor is doing work on the transmission fluid or clutch plate, respectively. The use of the handbrake can aid in hill starts, but excessive heat and burning smells from the clutch plate should be avoided. It is also mentioned that it is difficult to calculate the exact amount of power needed to hold a hill.
kalamar20
Hello.
I've searched the internet hard but couldn't find anything about this so i decided to ask this to physicsforums.
If a car is up a slope with friction and it's stopping(balanced) by using the gas pedal, what is the energy consumed by the motor of the car? I know F.x is 0 in this situation but if I'm using the gas pedal, energy must be consumed right?
I'm starving for the answer, thank you for your interests!

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, mechanical energy is being produced by the motor and yes, that mechanical energy is not doing any work on the road.

In an automatic transmission there is a fluid coupling between the motor and the rest of the drive train. The energy that is produced by the motor is doing work on that fluid. But the fluid is not doing any work on the rest of the drive train (the output drive shaft is stationary).

So you have a net input of work into the transmission fluid. One can conclude the energy is being dissipated within the transmission fluid due to viscosity, heating that fluid up.

jbriggs444 said:
In an automatic transmission there is a fluid coupling between the motor and the rest of the drive train. The energy that is produced by the motor is doing work on that fluid. But the fluid is not doing any work on the rest of the drive train (the output drive shaft is stationary).

Or if you have a manual transmission like I do then your engine is doing work on the clutch plate... I deliver pizza in a hilly place. Sometimes I stop on a steep hill, then I have to rev it like mad to just get my car to move. I can smell the clutch plate from the work that has been done on it... lol, not good.

ModusPwnd said:
Or if you have a manual transmission like I do then your engine is doing work on the clutch plate... I deliver pizza in a hilly place. Sometimes I stop on a steep hill, then I have to rev it like mad to just get my car to move. I can smell the clutch plate from the work that has been done on it... lol, not good.

Have you considered using the handbrake to aid the hill start? If you're heating up the clutch to the point that you can smell it burning, that really isn't great for it...

Rev the engine and release the clutch with the hand brake on?

I use the hand brake when I stop of course, but when I release it my engine has to do work on the clutch plate. I don't hold it on the hill with the clutch if that is what you are asking. At least, not any longer than I have too! A second or less probably.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Yes, mechanical energy is being produced by the motor and yes, that mechanical energy is not doing any work on the road.

So you have a net input of work into the transmission fluid. One can conclude the energy is being dissipated within the transmission fluid due to viscosity, heating that fluid up.

ModusPwnd said:

Thank you very much for your answers I am glad to hear them!

...and I think it goes without saying that it is pretty much impossible to calculate how much power you need to use to hold the hill.

Related to Work done by a car engine up a slope

1. How does a car engine generate work when going up a slope?

The car engine generates work by converting the chemical energy from fuel into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy is used to turn the car's wheels, which allows the car to move up the slope.

2. How is the work done by a car engine affected by the slope of the road?

The work done by a car engine is directly affected by the slope of the road. The steeper the slope, the more work the engine has to do in order to overcome the force of gravity and move the car up the slope.

3. What factors influence the amount of work done by a car engine up a slope?

The amount of work done by a car engine up a slope is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the car, the power of the engine, the grade of the slope, and the resistance from air and friction.

4. Why does a car use more fuel when going up a slope?

A car uses more fuel when going up a slope because it requires more work from the engine to overcome the force of gravity and move the car up the incline. This increased workload leads to a higher fuel consumption.

5. Can a car engine ever do negative work when going up a slope?

No, a car engine cannot do negative work when going up a slope. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and in this case, the force from the engine is always in the same direction as the displacement of the car up the slope.