Work done in lifting an object against gravity

In summary: So that part is correct.However, it's not correct to say that the net work "during the lift" was 0.1J because the lift includes all three phases. During the constant-speed phase, the work done by your applied force was 0, but there were other forces (gravity and the normal force from the table) doing work on the book. So if "the lift" means "the entire process of lifting the book from the table to the shelf", then the net work done during the lift is 0.Also, your explanation of the deceleration phase is a bit confusing. You say "we decrease our applied force to 48N for just a second" - does
ziaharipur
Dear fellows

I have three questions related to the topic “Lifting an object against gravity”.

If we lift an object of mass 5kg we need to apply a little more force than its weight to lift it and suppose we apply 50 N force (gravity is exerting 49 N forces on it) for just a second that produces 0.2 m/s/s acceleration in the body and then we reduce the force to 49N after a second, now according to Newton’s first law the body will keep moving upward with constant velocity (0.2 m/s). Am I right??

When we apply 50N force for a second this force does 0.1J of work on the body. Now during the lift we can’t say that the net work done is 0. Am I right?

When we make the body to be in rest position, we need to reduce the upward force for just 1N and as a result the net force will be downward and that will be 1N. Now this net force will do 0.1J of work in opposite direction or -0.1J and this will cancel out the 0.1J of work that was in upward direction. This is why we say that when we lift a book from table to shelf the net work done is 0. Am I right??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ziaharipur said:
If we lift an object of mass 5kg we need to apply a little more force than its weight to lift it and suppose we apply 50 N force (gravity is exerting 49 N forces on it) for just a second that produces 0.2 m/s/s acceleration in the body and then we reduce the force to 49N after a second, now according to Newton’s first law the body will keep moving upward with constant velocity (0.2 m/s). Am I right??
Yes.
When we apply 50N force for a second this force does 0.1J of work on the body. Now during the lift we can’t say that the net work done is 0. Am I right?
I get 5 J, but whatever -- correct, the work for the rest of the lift is not zero.
When we make the body to be in rest position, we need to reduce the upward force for just 1N and as a result the net force will be downward and that will be 1N.
Yes.
Now this net force will do 0.1J of work in opposite direction or -0.1J and this will cancel out the 0.1J of work that was in upward direction. This is why we say that when we lift a book from table to shelf the net work done is 0. Am I right??
No, none of that is correct. Work against gravity is against gravity: that's the 49 N acting through whatever distance.

ziaharipur said:
When we apply 50N force for a second this force does 0.1J of work on the body.
After 1 sec it has risen 0.1m and reached 0.2m/s; so you've given it KE of 0.1J, but you've also increased its PE by 4.9J. Work done = 50N x 0.1m = 5J.
When we make the body to be in rest position, we need to reduce the upward force for just 1N
Well, you don't need to reduce it by that; that's just one way.
and as a result the net force will be downward and that will be 1N. Now this net force will do 0.1J of work in opposite direction or -0.1J
You're still applying an upward force, and the mass is still moving upwards, so you're still doing work on it. But since it is slowing, some of its KE is now going into its PE. I.e. continuing increase in PE = continuing work done on it by you + energy lost from KE.

russ_watters said:
Yes. I get 5 J, but whatever -- correct, the work for the rest of the lift is not zero. Yes. No, none of that is correct. Work against gravity is against gravity: that's the 49 N acting through whatever distance.

I posted this Question on yahoo answers in this way and got a very good answer showing that my understanding is correctA book of mass 5kg is lifted from the table to shelf.

the body was at rest (initial kinetic energy=0), we applied 50 Newton force on it for just a second to produce an acceleration in the body, gravity is exerting 49N force on the body so the net force will be 1N upward this force produced an acceleration of 0.2 m/s/s in the body and after one second this force was reduced to 49 N (equal to the amount of force gravity is exerting on the body) now the body will keep moving in the upward direction with constant velocity that is 0.2 m/s (Newton’s First law of motion). this means that the kinetic energy of the body will be 0.1J and as W= change in Kinetic energy so the net work will be 0.1J during the lift (before coming in rest position on the shelf). When we reach the shelf we decrease our applied force to 48 N for just a second, in this way the net force will be 1N downward now this downward force will decrease the kinetic energy of the body from 0.1J to 0J in one second and the book will come in rest position. During the lift net work was 0.1J and after the lift both kinetic energies (initial and final) are zero so the net work is 0.

This is my understanding about lifting the book from table to shelf Am I right? If not then where I am wrong?ANSWER
Sort of, depending on what you mean by "the lift". During the initial, acceleration phase, the net work on the book was 0.1J. During the constant-speed phase, the net work on the book was 0. During the deceleration phase, the net work was −0.1J. Add them all up, and the net work for the whole trip was 0.1 + 0 + (-0.1) = 0.

But remember that "Net work" (as in the equation W=ΔKE) means work due to ALL forces, including the positive work done by your hand and the negative work done by gravity. (Gravity does negative work because it exerts a force in the direction opposite from the motion.) If you wanted to calculate JUST the work done by your hand, it would be different, and would depend on the height of the shelf.

Hello,

I can confirm that your understanding of lifting an object against gravity is correct. According to Newton's first law, an object will continue to move at a constant velocity if there is no net force acting on it. In this scenario, the initial force of 50N is balanced by the force of gravity (49N) and the object will continue to move at a constant velocity of 0.2 m/s.

In terms of work done, you are also correct. When we apply a force to lift an object, work is being done on the object. In this case, the work done is 0.1J. However, when we lower the object back to its original position, the force we apply is in the opposite direction and thus the work done is negative. This negative work cancels out the positive work done during the lift, resulting in a net work of 0.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of lifting an object against gravity. Keep up the curious thinking and scientific inquiries!

1. What is work done in lifting an object against gravity?

The work done in lifting an object against gravity is the amount of force required to move an object from a lower position to a higher position against the force of gravity. This work is typically measured in joules (J), and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it is lifted.

2. How is the work done in lifting an object against gravity different from other types of work?

The work done in lifting an object against gravity is different from other types of work because it involves overcoming a specific force (gravity) rather than simply moving an object from one point to another. This type of work is also considered to be a form of potential energy, as the object gains potential energy as it is lifted higher against gravity.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done when lifting an object against gravity?

The amount of work done when lifting an object against gravity is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the force applied to lift it, and the distance it is lifted. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity may also impact the amount of work done, as it varies depending on location.

4. Can work be done in lifting an object against gravity without actually moving it?

No, work cannot be done in lifting an object against gravity without actually moving it. In order for work to be done, there must be a displacement of the object in the direction of the applied force. If the object is not moved, no work is being done.

5. How does the angle of lift affect the work done when lifting an object against gravity?

The angle of lift can impact the amount of work done when lifting an object against gravity. When lifting an object at an angle, the force required to move the object is increased, resulting in more work being done. This is because a component of the force is being used to lift the object vertically against gravity, while the other component is used to move it horizontally.