Working out my holiday/vacation entitlement

• MHB
  • Thread starter ennogs
  • Start date
In summary, the amount of holiday/vacation time you are entitled to depends on your company's policies and your length of employment, with most companies offering 2-4 weeks of paid vacation time per year for full-time employees. Whether or not you can carry over unused days from one year to the next also varies and should be checked with your HR department. If you use up all your vacation days and need more time off, you may have the option of taking unpaid leave or using sick days, but this also depends on your company's policies. Your employer generally cannot refuse your request for vacation time, but there may be certain circumstances where they can deny it. When leaving your job, whether or not you will be paid for unused vacation
ennogs
I have been tearing my hair out over this lol.

I am trying to work my holiday (vacation) entitlement out. Can somebody please tell me if I am right?

I get 27 days holiday plus the bank holidays (public holidays). My work year is 1st of April to 31st of March. Due to Easter moving about that means this year I get 7 days as bank holidays. In total this year I get 34 days holiday entitlement

If I worked full time I would do 7.5 hours per day and work 5 days per week = 37.5 hours per week. 34 holidays days x 7.5 hours a day = 255 hours holiday entitlement. If I was full time every time I take holiday day I would lose 7.5 hours/1 day from my holiday entitlement.

I don’t work full time. I do 18.45 hours per week which is half a week’s work. I don’t work 2.5 days though. I work 3 days per week and do 6.45 hours a day.

Based on that information am I correct in saying

This year I get 127.5 hours holiday entitlement (half of a full time worker). Every time I take a holiday day I take off 6.15 hours from my holiday entitlement

Or should it simply be

I get 34 days holiday entitlement. Every time I take a holiday day I just take a day off my holiday entitlement.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your question about holiday entitlement. I can understand how confusing it can be to calculate these types of benefits. After reviewing the information you provided, I can confirm that your calculations are correct.

Based on your work year of April 1st to March 31st, you are entitled to 27 days of holiday plus 7 days for bank holidays, totaling 34 days. Since you work half of a full-time schedule, your holiday entitlement is also halved, meaning you are entitled to 127.5 hours of holiday. When you take a holiday day, you are effectively taking off 6.15 hours from your holiday entitlement.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you accurately plan your holiday time. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

1. How much holiday/vacation time am I entitled to?

The amount of holiday/vacation time you are entitled to depends on your company's policies and your length of employment. Most companies offer a standard 2-4 weeks of paid vacation time per year for full-time employees. Check with your HR department for specific details.

2. Can I carry over unused holiday/vacation days from one year to the next?

This also varies depending on your company's policies. Some companies allow you to carry over a certain number of unused days, while others require you to use them within the same year. Again, check with your HR department for specific details.

3. What happens if I use up all my holiday/vacation days and need more time off?

If you have used up all your allotted vacation time, you may be able to take unpaid leave or use your sick days for additional time off. However, this also depends on your company's policies and your specific situation. Talk to your manager or HR department for options.

4. Can my employer refuse my request for holiday/vacation time?

In most cases, your employer cannot refuse your request for holiday/vacation time as it is part of your employment contract. However, there may be certain circumstances where they can deny your request, such as if there are too many employees already taking time off during that period. Again, check with your HR department for specific details.

5. Do I get paid for unused holiday/vacation days if I leave my job?

This also depends on your company's policies. Some companies will pay out unused vacation time when you leave, while others will not. Make sure to check your employment contract or speak with your HR department for more information.