Working remotely at a national lab

In summary: So they might be working on this project remotely, but they might have to come in for a week or two at a time to actually do their experiments.
cajunjacket
Hi folks,

I was wondering if any of you have heard about research and development staff working remotely at a national lab after working there for several years? I had met one individual at a conference who worked at LANL, but lived in Georgia. His work was computer-based, so he didn't have to be there besides for meetings ever now and then. I didn't know if he was extremely unique or if there are more people who do this after putting in several years at the lab. Have any of you ever heard of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
cajunjacket said:
Hi folks,

I was wondering if any of you have heard about research and development staff working remotely at a national lab after working there for several years? I had met one individual at a conference who worked at LANL, but lived in Georgia. His work was computer-based, so he didn't have to be there besides for meetings ever now and then. I didn't know if he was extremely unique or if there are more people who do this after putting in several years at the lab. Have any of you ever heard of this?

This is not a common occurrence, and it is heavily dependent on the TYPE of job. If you are an experimentalist, it is doubtful that you can be away from your experiment that long. Even people who collaborate remotely on, say, the LHC, will have to spend a considerable amount of time at CERN throughout the year.

So yes, this is an unusual situation and not the norm.

Zz.

I know a few folks that telecommute while working at a national lab. They are involved with hydrocode development.

cajunjacket said:
I had met one individual at a conference who worked at LANL, but lived in Georgia. His work was computer-based, so he didn't have to be there besides for meetings ever now and then. I didn't know if he was extremely unique or if there are more people who do this after putting in several years at the lab. Have any of you ever heard of this?

It exists but is rather uncommon. However, what does happen somewhat more frequently is that the national lab will have a project, and the people involved with that project are people at a research university that's in another part of the country.

I can say that working remotely at a national lab is becoming more common in today's technological age. With advancements in communication and collaboration tools, it is possible for research and development staff to work from a remote location while still being productive and contributing to the work at the lab. This can be especially beneficial for individuals who have put in several years at the lab and have established themselves as experts in their field. They may be able to continue their work remotely while also having the flexibility to live in a different location for personal reasons. However, it is important to note that not all positions at a national lab may be suitable for remote work, as some may require hands-on laboratory work or in-person collaboration with other team members. Ultimately, it is up to the individual lab and their policies on remote work.

What equipment do I need to work remotely at a national lab?

In order to work remotely at a national lab, you will typically need a computer or laptop with a reliable internet connection, as well as any specialized software or tools required for your specific job. You may also need a phone or video conferencing equipment for communication purposes.

What is the process for setting up a remote work arrangement at a national lab?

The process for setting up a remote work arrangement at a national lab may vary, but it typically involves submitting a formal request to your supervisor or HR department. You may also need to complete any necessary paperwork or training related to remote work. Once approved, you will likely be provided with the necessary equipment and instructions for accessing lab resources remotely.

What are the benefits of working remotely at a national lab?

Working remotely at a national lab can offer numerous benefits, such as increased flexibility and autonomy in your work schedule, reduced commute time and expenses, and the ability to work from the comfort of your own home. It may also allow for a better work-life balance and the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues from different locations.

Are there any challenges associated with working remotely at a national lab?

While remote work at a national lab can have many advantages, it may also present some challenges. These can include potential difficulties with accessing lab resources or equipment, communication and collaboration with colleagues, and maintaining a work-life balance. It's important for remote workers to stay organized and communicate effectively with their team to overcome these challenges.

What kind of support is available for remote workers at a national lab?

National labs typically have resources and support available for remote workers, such as IT assistance, training on remote work tools and software, and access to virtual collaboration platforms. Additionally, supervisors and colleagues can offer support and guidance to help remote workers navigate any challenges that may arise while working off-site.