World destroying solar storm/binary orbit

In summary, a Solar storm that lasts 500 years is more realistic to accomplish what the author expects.
AidenFlamel
Soooo, hi PF, it's been a long time since I needed your help, but here I am again.

I've been doing some worldbulding lately and I came up with this idea of a world in which civilisation and life are much, much older than in ours. Yet it isn't as developed due to some kind of natural disaster that makes a cataclysm happen either one time trough the whole planet's history or a cycle that let's this happen a few hundred thousand years or so. The thing is, I wanted this recurring events to heavily influence the way life in the planet is and develops trough generations, so I thought that some radiation would be nice to speed up the evolution of intelligent life, with the only cost of having a massive extinction every now and then (also, cool radiation generated mutations that pass natural selection are great for the magic system).

What I want to know is which of the following is more realistic to accomplish what I expect: a Solar storm that lasts 500 years or a binary star system in which a sun like star (which our planet orbits) has an enormous orbit around a much bigger, hotter and more radiation emitting star,to which it only passes close to notice it's effects every hundred thousand years or so. I left below an image of something that kind of resembles what I mean with this second scenario.
upload_2019-2-22_21-28-34.png

The magic system is complicated, so if you care I'll tell you, but it suffices to say that in order for people to use the "magic" (which isn't magic there, duh) they'll need a little push, and this radiation thing could be the way to have that naturally develop trough genetics and stuff.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-22_21-18-40.png
    upload_2019-2-22_21-18-40.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 327
  • upload_2019-2-22_21-28-34.png
    upload_2019-2-22_21-28-34.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Your theme sounds similar to Cixin Liu’s book The Three Body Problem
Thanks a lot! It seems like a really amazing story. I now want to read the whole thing, so thanks again for introducing such an idea to me!

It also sounds like Isaac Asimov's Nightfall.

1. What is a world destroying solar storm?

A world destroying solar storm is a massive eruption of energy from the sun that can cause severe damage to Earth's infrastructure and potentially lead to the extinction of all life on the planet.

2. How does a binary orbit affect the likelihood of a world destroying solar storm?

A binary orbit is when two stars orbit each other, and this can increase the likelihood of a world destroying solar storm because it can disrupt the magnetic fields of both stars, leading to more intense solar activity.

3. How often do world destroying solar storms occur?

World destroying solar storms are rare events, occurring only once every few hundred years. However, smaller solar storms that can still cause significant damage occur more frequently, with an average of one per decade.

4. What kind of damage can a world destroying solar storm cause?

A world destroying solar storm can cause widespread power outages, disrupt communication systems, damage satellites, and even affect the Earth's climate. It can also be harmful to human health due to increased exposure to radiation.

5. Can we predict when a world destroying solar storm will occur?

While we can monitor solar activity and make predictions about the likelihood of a solar storm, it is challenging to predict when a world destroying solar storm will occur. However, with advanced technology and monitoring systems, we can prepare for such an event and mitigate its potential damage.