Would 2x 5.5" Fans attached to Wye Duct pull efficiently?

• Thread starter Ambience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pull Wye
In summary, the individual is looking to use 2 computer fans in a wye connector to exhaust air in a grow tent. They are wondering if this is an efficient solution compared to using one larger fan, and mention that the fans are somewhat restricted by the pressure drop in the ducts. They provide resources for further information on fan selection, but ultimately decide to use each fan with its own dedicated ducting setup.
Ambience
TL;DR Summary
Are there issues having 2 exhausting fans attached to a wye duct?
Hello everyone. I'm an idiot and have a question.I want to do something like this:
ssssssssssss.jpg

I want to use 2 computer fans (140mm/5.5" and rated @ 82 CFM each) attached to a wye connector to exhaust air.
Can it be used in this nature? Usually it's one big fan exhausting from multiple areas. This probably seems backwards, but was curious.
My other option is having each fan with their own dedicated ducting with no wye fitting.

Why am I doing this? Using it in a grow tent where I need to exhaust air. I currently have the 4" ducting and 2 fans. All I would need is to buy a wye duct fitting. Doing it this way would save me from having to rig up another dedicated duct for it's own single fan (when I could just attached 2 to a wye) or purchase a more powerful fan with the same size or bigger ducting.

Thanks for any feedback. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you do it? Sure, no problem.
Is it efficient? Compared to what?
The fan(s) are restricted somewhat by the pressure drop in the duct(s) though. So fans with larger (or multiple) ducts work better than smaller ducts. You won't get twice the airflow by adding a second fan if they share an upstream duct.
In general, detailed solutions are difficult and depend on lots of details in your setup.
There are many web sites that can help you understand more; like these:
https://www.boydcorp.com/resources/temperature-control/heat-exchanger-fan-selection.html
https://www.cuidevices.com/catalog/...-a-fan-for-forced-air-cooling-cui-devices.pdf
https://www.orientalmotor.com/products/pdfs/2015-2016/H/Cooling_Fan_Selection_Calculations.pdf

• Informative
Likes Ambience
Thanks. I will do each fan with it's own single ducting setup.

Likes Tom.G

1. How does the size of the fans affect their efficiency?

The size of the fans does not necessarily affect their efficiency. The efficiency of a fan is determined by its design and the amount of air it can move, not just its physical size.

2. Can the fans be attached to the Wye Duct at any angle?

Ideally, the fans should be attached to the Wye Duct at a 90-degree angle in order to maximize efficiency. However, slight variations in angle may not significantly impact the overall efficiency.

3. Will using two fans instead of one increase efficiency?

Using two fans instead of one can potentially increase efficiency, as it allows for a greater volume of air to be moved through the duct. However, the overall efficiency will also depend on the design and power of the fans.

4. What is the ideal placement for the fans on the Wye Duct?

The ideal placement for the fans on the Wye Duct is at the center of the duct, with equal distance from each branch of the Wye. This allows for equal distribution of air flow through each branch.

5. How can I determine the efficiency of the fans attached to the Wye Duct?

The efficiency of the fans can be determined by calculating the air flow rate through the duct with and without the fans attached. The greater the increase in air flow rate with the fans, the more efficient they are.