Would HE light applied to mercury vapor produce electricity?

In summary, the OP is likely to have a lot of questions about particle physics in the coming weeks. Mercury vapor lamps do not produce a lot of light, and the second law of thermodynamics prevents them from being 100% efficient in reversing the current.
davidsirmons
I'm likely going to have a ton of questions in the following weeks about a wide range of particle physics etc.
If (electricity X mercury vapor) = light, then multiplication being transitive, (light X mercury vapor) = electricity.
Can someone inform? I've found only mercury vapor as a metallic gas, and I'm specifically looking to create a model using sustained HE light as a basis for high voltage output.

Physics news on Phys.org
davidsirmons said:
If (electricity X mercury vapor) = light, then multiplication being transitive, (light X mercury vapor) = electricity.

Electricity X mercury vapor is not multiplication, so that particular rule does not apply. Note that running an electric current through nearly any material can generate light by virtue of simply heating the material up. The reverse (light X some material = electricity) isn't true except in very specific situations, such as solar panels.

Likes russ_watters
If it would be a multiplication, then you would have electricity = (light)/(mercury vapor). But it is not a multiplication.

davidsirmons said:
In addition to being irrelevant, multiplication is not "transitive". Even if you did the algebra correctly, you would have ##electricity=\frac{light}{mercury\ vapor}##

Transitive: If a=b and b=c then a=c. Equality is transitive.
Commutative: ##a \times b = b \times a##. Multiplication is commutative.
Associative: ##a \times (b \times c) = (a \times b) \times c##. Multiplication is associative.

We should give the OP a break here. He is "guilty" of using inappropriate terminology, agreed, but his Physics is not misplaced. He just needs a 'symbol' which means "combined with in some way". I don't know of one :smile: so he should have just used a verbal description.
If you pass a current though Mercury Vapour it will ionise some molecules. When the electrons recombine there will be Photons emitted. The direction of the current to excite this is defined by an external power supply and the ionisation is sustained by the fast electrons that are supplied at the electrodes.
However, although a beam of incident high energy EM (photons) will ionise some of the mercury atoms, the ions will have no preferred direction to go so you can't expect the system to produce an 'electric current' (i.e. to be a generator). The ions will just recombine and emit a range of EM frequencies.
But you could imagine a detector of X Rays, which consisted of a container with mercury vapour in it and a low voltage across it; not high enough to produce ionisation so it would be 'off'. When sufficient flux of X Rays hits the tube, enough ions will be produced for a measurable current to flow. It would strike an arc which could go on for ever unless the supply voltage is removed and the ions would recombine.
A Geiger Muller tube works in this way but doesn't use Mercury Vapour, which needs to be heated to keep it from condensing. Low pressure Argon gas is commonly used. Also,the design of a GM tube allows very low energy particles through, to ionise the enclosed gas. But it's the same principle.
PS You need some form of 'diode' or one-way device for EM to generate a current in one direction. PV cells and phototransistors do this but not (afaik) ever with mercury.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
We should give the OP a break here. He is "guilty" of using inappropriate terminology, agreed, but his Physics is not misplaced.

It may be if it's based on trying to apply mathematical rules to non-mathematical situations.

Drakkith said:
It may be if it's based on trying to apply mathematical rules to non-mathematical situations.
I didn't have any problem with understanding his question though and I think he was only using the Maths notation in order to 'fit in' with the way many threads converse.
It would be nice to hear from him again on this thread.

sophiecentaur said:
I didn't have any problem with understanding his question...
Nor did I.
Drakkith said:
Not if it is a literary usage, like a metaphor.

sophiecentaur said:
I didn't have any problem with understanding his question though and I think he was only using the Maths notation in order to 'fit in' with the way many threads converse.

russ_watters said:
Not if it is a literary usage, like a metaphor.

That certainly might be the case, but I have no way of knowing. The OP might literally think you can apply math rules directly to non-math situations.

sophiecentaur said:
It would be nice to hear from him again on this thread.

Agreed. Clarification would be helpful.

Likes russ_watters
So . . . . . about the Physics?

sophiecentaur said:
So . . . . . about the Physics?
Well, to point out the obvious... The first law of thermodynamics (energy conservation) is OK with the reverse operation. The second law of thermodynamics says that it will not be a 100% efficient reversal.

However, observation shows very little evidence of Mercury vapor lamps being used in the daytime to pump electrical energy into the mains and quite a lot of evidence of other techniques being used to convert sunlight to electrical energy. This suggests that as a matter of engineering practice, a Mercury vapor lamp is not the best technology for the purpose.

Yes, math is my one true heartbreak. I love science, astronomy, and a host of both artistic and cerebral interests, but math...alas.
Yes, I was using the transient property of math, and applying it to a physics problem. And to me, it seems like they're one and the same. Seems not.

1. What is "HE light" in relation to mercury vapor?

"HE light" refers to high-efficiency light, which is a type of lighting technology that produces a high amount of light output while using low amounts of energy. It typically refers to LED (light-emitting diode) lighting.

2. Can HE light be applied to mercury vapor to generate electricity?

Yes, it is possible to use HE light to produce electricity from mercury vapor. This process is known as the mercury vapor cycle and it involves using the high-intensity light to heat the mercury vapor, causing it to expand and drive a turbine to generate electricity.

3. What are the advantages of using HE light for electricity production from mercury vapor?

One of the main advantages of using HE light for electricity production from mercury vapor is its high energy efficiency. HE light produces a high amount of light output while using low amounts of energy, making it a more sustainable and cost-effective option for electricity generation.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using HE light with mercury vapor for electricity production?

There are some potential risks associated with using HE light with mercury vapor for electricity production. Mercury vapor is a toxic substance, so proper safety measures must be taken to prevent exposure. Additionally, the technology for this process is still in its early stages and may not be as efficient as other forms of energy production.

5. Is the use of HE light for electricity production from mercury vapor a common practice?

No, the use of HE light for electricity production from mercury vapor is not a common practice. The technology is still in its early stages and is not widely implemented. However, as sustainable energy sources become more important, it may become a more common practice in the future.