• B
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Texbook don't seem to regard on the range and domains of function product. A search on the net gives clues, but I'd wish some more learning.
Hi, PF

I only have a clue on the topic I present; the answer involves the ##\subset##, maybe ##\subseteq## concepts; I mean that the only answer I've obtained is that both range and domain of the product of two functions are the inclusion of both. I include a picture regarding the example of the textbook, which shows to functions between ##0## and ##\pi##.

Greetings Function product.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The domain of the product must be the intersection of the domains of the two functions, for the obvious reason.

The precise range of a product is more complicated, again for the obvious reason.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
mcastillo356 said:
domain of the product of two functions are the inclusion of both

What does that mean?

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Hi, PF, my question lacks of context and precision.
EXAMPLE 6 Find the area of the region bounded by ##y=\Bigg(2+\sin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}\Bigg)^2\cos{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}##, the ##x##-axis, and the lines ##x=0## and ##x=\pi##
Solution Because ##y\leq 0## when ##0\leq x\leq \pi##, the required area is
##A=\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}{\Bigg(2+\sin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}\Bigg)^2\cos{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}}\,dx##
Let ##v=2+\sin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}##.
Then ##dv=\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}\cos{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}\,dx##
##=2\displaystyle\int_2^3{\,v^2\,dv}=\displaystyle\frac{2}{3}\,v^3\Bigg|_2^3=\displaystyle\frac{2}{3}(27-8)=\displaystyle\frac{38}{3}## square units
weirdoguy said:
What does that mean?
Ups... Intersection. "The range of sum/difference/product/quotient of two functions is the intersection of the ranges of the individual functions" (quote from Stack Exchange).
Hope to have mended my previous post inconsistency. Greetings.

mcastillo356 said:
EXAMPLE 6 Find the area of the region bounded by ##y=\Bigg(2+\sin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}\Bigg)^2\cos{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}##, the ##x##-axis, and the lines ##x=0## and ##x=\pi##
Solution Because ##y\leq 0## when ##0\leq x\leq \pi##,
The inequality after "Because" isn't true. Perhaps you have the inequality reversed?
For the interval ##[0, \pi]##, ##\cos(x/2)## and ##\sin(x/2)## both have values in the interval [0, 1].

Mark44 said:
Perhaps you have the inequality reversed?
Yes.
##y\geq 0## when ##0\leq x\leq \pi##

Failure.png

Hi @Mark44, thanks a lot. Greetings!

Hi, PF

I can draw
##y(x) = \begin{cases} y\geq 0 & \text{if }0\leq x \leq {\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}}
\\ y\leq 0 & \text{if }\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2} x \leq{\pi} \end{cases}##

Counterexample.png

This is easy, and doesn't add news to this thread

The question is: how should I manage to prove that ##y\geq 0## when ##0\leq x\leq{\pi}## for $$y=\Bigg(2+\sin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}\Bigg)^2\cos{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}$$
avoiding the use of graphs?

The only mathematical evidence I have is that is true for the endpoints.

Greetings

mcastillo356 said:
Hi, PF

I can draw
##y(x) = \begin{cases} y\geq 0 & \text{if }0\leq x \leq {\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}}
\\ y\leq 0 & \text{if }\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2} x \leq{\pi} \end{cases}##

View attachment 331364

This is easy, and doesn't add news to this thread

The question is: how should I manage to prove that ##y\geq 0## when ##0\leq x\leq{\pi}## for $$y=\Bigg(2+\sin{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}\Bigg)^2\cos{\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}}$$
avoiding the use of graphs?

The only mathematical evidence I have is that is true for the endpoints.

Greetings

You know that [itex](2 + \sin (x/2))^2 > 0[/itex] for any [itex]x[/itex]. So [itex]y[/itex] can only be negative when [itex]\cos(x/2) < 0[/itex], which is not the case for [itex]x \in [0, \pi][/itex].

Likes mcastillo356

1. What is the product of functions?

The product of functions is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions together to create a new function. It is denoted by a multiplication sign between the functions.

2. How do you find the product of functions?

To find the product of functions, you simply multiply the two functions together. This can be done by multiplying each term of one function by each term of the other function, or by using the distributive property.

3. What is the purpose of finding the product of functions?

The product of functions is used to simplify complex expressions and to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used to model real-world situations and make predictions.

4. Can any two functions be multiplied together?

No, not all functions can be multiplied together. The two functions must have compatible domains and ranges in order for their product to be defined. For example, the product of two logarithmic functions is not defined, as the domain of a logarithmic function does not include negative numbers.

5. Are there any properties of the product of functions?

Yes, there are several properties of the product of functions, including the commutative property, associative property, and distributive property. These properties can be used to simplify the product of functions and make calculations easier.