Would you take a job not in line with career goals?

In summary, the individual has just started their masters in civil engineering and has received a job interview from a construction company. They are unsure if they should give up their graduate studies for a job that may not align with their career goals. They are considering the opportunity and the potential networking benefits, but are also open to negotiating a middle ground. The conversation ends with a question about why they applied for jobs while also planning to attend grad school.
CivilSigma
I have just started my masters in civil engineering and at the same time I have received a job interview from a construction company that I think really like me. I don't have any official offers.

My career goal is to be involved with the structural design/analysis industry. However, the company I interviewed for is known for using technology to assist with construction. They don't do analysis/design and to be honest I don't see my self doing the advertised work for more than 2 yrs max.

If I am offered the job, should I throw away all my graduate studies arrangements for a job that I may or may not like?

I mean, in your opinion is this opportunity worth the risk? To be honest, there are not a lot of entry level jobs and I feel like I got lucky landing this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
In modern world, having a job right after graduation is good for CV record. Even if you ultimately leave that marginal job, you will be in better position to search for another one compared to today.

Likes CivilSigma
You had your mind set on a Masters and you would give it up for a 2 year non-engineering job that you may not like? Get your Masters and the door will be opened for thee.

Likes CivilSigma
CivilSigma said:
I have just started my masters in civil engineering and at the same time I have received a job interview from a construction company that I think really like me. I don't have any official offers.

My career goal is to be involved with the structural design/analysis industry. However, the company I interviewed for is known for using technology to assist with construction. They don't do analysis/design and to be honest I don't see my self doing the advertised work for more than 2 yrs max.

If I am offered the job, should I throw away all my graduate studies arrangements for a job that I may or may not like?

I mean, in your opinion is this opportunity worth the risk? To be honest, there are not a lot of entry level jobs and I feel like I got lucky landing this one.
(a) Did you go to grad school because you had mapped out a career plan that required a masters, or did you go to grad school because you couldn't find a job?

(b) How long will it take to complete the masters?

(c) If you drop out of school, how much money will you lose (I don't mean lost opportunity, but e.g. tuition and fees that would be forfeited)?

(d) If you take the job that you plan to quit in 2 yrs, what do you plan to do afterwards?

Likes russ_watters and CivilSigma
Thank you for the replies!

CrysPhys said:
(a) Did you go to grad school because you had mapped out a career plan that required a masters, or did you go to grad school because you couldn't find a job?

(b) How long will it take to complete the masters?

(c) If you drop out of school, how much money will you lose (I don't mean lost opportunity, but e.g. tuition and fees that would be forfeited)?

(d) If you take the job that you plan to quit in 2 yrs, what do you plan to do afterwards?

a) I decided to pursue grad school because I want to become a structural designer and a masters is an asset to help me achieve my career goal. I have started my masters right after my undergrad studies. So I have only had about 2 months of actively applying to jobs, and I could not land an interview for a job in line with my career choice.

b) I am doing course based masters. So it will take me 1 full year, hopefully.

c) I won't lose money, it will be refunded.

d) I actually plan on finishing my masters after I leave the job or best case scenario land a job related to structural design/analysis. I am hoping that , if I accept this job, it will allow me to network with the company's clients to get my "dream" job.

PhanthomJay said:
You had your mind set on a Masters and you would give it up for a 2 year non-engineering job that you may not like? Get your Masters and the door will be opened for thee.
I really think so too.

CivilSigma said:
a) I decided to pursue grad school because I want to become a structural designer and a masters is an asset to help me achieve my career goal. I have started my masters right after my undergrad studies. So I have only had about 2 months of actively applying to jobs, and I could not land an interview for a job in line with my career choice.

b) I am doing course based masters. So it will take me 1 full year, hopefully.

c) I won't lose money, it will be refunded.

d) I actually plan on finishing my masters after I leave the job or best case scenario land a job related to structural design/analysis. I am hoping that , if I accept this job, it will allow me to network with the company's clients to get my "dream" job.
Based on this response, you should stay the course.

Last edited:
Likes CivilSigma
This is another one of those "there is no right answer" types of dilemmas.

Something you might want to consider is negotiating a middle road. If this company really likes you, be up front with them and tell them that you're interested in completing your master's degree. You might be able to defer the job until that is completed if we're only talking about a year. In some cases it could also work the other way too - they might support you through the master's degree - although if it's not in an area they specialize in that's probably unlikely. But the point is, if you're in a position where you'd be perfectly happy without the job, you're in a good position to negotiate.

Likes CivilSigma and berkeman
OP: One further question. If you had already made up your mind to go to grad school, why did you apply for jobs at this time?

CrysPhys said:
OP: One further question. If you had already made up your mind to go to grad school, why did you apply for jobs at this time?

Before my graduate studies began, I was applying to design jobs in hopes of landing something in line with my career goals. If I get accepted, then I would have postponed my studies.

You could say I was feeling desperate since I was not hearing back from others, so I applied to this construction company to "see" what would happen.

it's nice to feel wanted. When I was younger, I applied for a job on a whim because I was a bit bored at work. I wasn't typically bored at work but it was a slow season for us. Anyway, I happen to get a reply and decided to interview just to see what it was like. Fast forward a few weeks, I enjoyed everyone I met and the salary and location were pretty good too. The only hiccup was that I wasn't really into the job. It was tangentially related to my field, but the problems they were solving didn't align with my interest. Nevertheless, it felt nice having someone want me as much as they did and it was exciting to get a promotion and a nice 20% increase in salary that I took it!

6 months later I found myself dreading work. I liked the people, job was ok and everything generally was fine with the company, but I just wasn't interested in my work. I quit soon after and it took me awhile to get back into my original career track.

I mention this because I think it's important to evaluate what your goals are and how a current prospect aligns with your goals. It's also important to balance those needs with job security. If you're in a situation where you feel that you'll be just as employable (if not more) by the time you finish your masters, then I would advise you to stay on track.

Last edited:
Likes plasmon_shmasmon, mpresic3, CivilSigma and 1 other person
Would you take a job not in line with career goals?

I’m a big fan of having career goals.

I'm also a big fan of deviating from them.

I’ve tossed my career goals in the trash twice in my life and opted instead to change careers. Both were the best career decisions I’ve made.

Likes CivilSigma and russ_watters
You currently do not have a decision to make except whether to go for the interview. I would go to interview and learn what you can from the interview and put in a favorable pitch to try to get employment.

Also, you want to do analysis/design bit are concerned the company does not do that. I understand, but as an entry-level employee at most companies, I am not sure you will have many chances to design during the first few years. I presume you would be an apprentice to a senior employee or team in the beginning. You may be expecting too much too fast. The interview may give you better indicators of where your career with the company will be a few years from now.

Likes russ_watters and CivilSigma
It's been a week since the interview and I haven't heard back, should I just I shoot them an email or ignore them?

I have not looked for a job for over 5 years, but in my experience, one week is not a long time. Recruiting for employment is a small part of the overall mission of most companies. Speaking of where I work, I would be surprised if most (if any) interviews had a response within one week.

Unless they mentioned in the interview, that they would get back to you at the end of the week, I would wait. Maybe others in this forum have other ideas.

By the way, 5 years ago, when I was looking for employment, I never heard back from several schools and companies (almost all) that I had interviews with.

Even one that looked very promising. I was congratulated by faculty, and they told me they never got though two rounds of questioning in 90 minutes. I figured if 5-6 faculty members spent 90 minutes each questioning me, I was in. (I suppose it is possible I was supposed to get back to them, but I figure if they wanted me they would get back to me).

I did ask when I could hear from them again. However, they told me that I was their first interview (on December 2), and they needed someone for the January semester. Talk about organization. Did they really think I could arrange an interstate move over 1000 miles with no notice in 3-5 weeks? They were going to interview others for the job (in December) and still get someone by the new semester (in January)? The person they did get must have been local to the area.

Anyway I never got an offer. I am much better off with my current job.

Likes CivilSigma
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and insights!

I just got an email back from HR and unfortunately they did not choose me to continue with the round of interviews.
Now to focus on studying!

Expect a bunch of posts from me on structural dynamics :wink:

Kind regards,
-CivilSigma

Likes russ_watters

1. Would taking a job not in line with my career goals hinder my future career opportunities?

No, taking a job not in line with your career goals does not necessarily hinder your future career opportunities. In fact, it can provide valuable experience and skills that can be transferable to other roles and industries. It is important to continue to develop and learn in any job, even if it may not align with your long-term career goals.

2. How can I explain taking a job not in line with my career goals in future job interviews?

You can explain taking a job not in line with your career goals by highlighting the transferable skills and experience you gained from the role. You can also mention any personal or professional development opportunities that you took advantage of during your time in that job.

3. Is it worth taking a job not in line with my career goals for the sake of financial stability?

This ultimately depends on your personal situation and priorities. If financial stability is a top priority for you, then taking a job not in line with your career goals may be worth it. However, it is important to consider the long-term implications and whether it aligns with your overall career aspirations.

4. Will taking a job not in line with my career goals affect my job satisfaction?

It is possible that taking a job not in line with your career goals may affect your job satisfaction, as it may not be the ideal role for you. However, it is important to approach the job with a positive attitude and focus on the skills and experience you can gain from it. Additionally, finding ways to incorporate your career goals into the job, such as through side projects or networking opportunities, can help increase job satisfaction.

5. How can I determine if a job not in line with my career goals is the right choice for me?

It is important to carefully consider your personal goals, priorities, and values when determining if a job not in line with your career goals is the right choice for you. You can also research the company and role to see if there are any potential growth opportunities or ways to align your career goals with the job. Ultimately, trust your instincts and make a decision that feels right for you.