Can You Sing About How Oil is Formed and Extracted?

• Thread starter AngelShare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, during your research you discovered that oil is created when sediment is buried under the Earth's surface and that it is trapped by traps. You also learned that oil is made of hydrocarbons and that it can be burned to create more hydrocarbons.
AngelShare
While searching the web determine the following:

How oil is created and trapped deep under the earth

How we uncover that oil and bring it to the surface

In your research find and define the words in the chart below. Aim at an understanding of how you would used these terms as they are related to the formation and mining of oil.

Because here is the kicker - you will include the words in your song.
You must include them all:

sediments
decomposition
kerogen
pressure
permeable or permeability
organic
reaction
reservoir rock
heat or temperature
hydrocarbons
carbon dioxide
burning
water
porosity or pores
trap

Grading - Your song should do the following:

Creatively demonstrate an understanding of concept/content through the song.

State from three to five important points to remember.

State the main idea/theme clearly and concisely.

Have few grammatical, syntax and/or spelling errors.

Assist the listener in understanding the topic/content.

Being that this is the first assignment of the week and, despite it being Wednesday, no one has done it yet, I'm going to guess I'm not the only one struggling.:rofl:

The first step, I figured, was connecting all of the words to oil and then trying to make them rhyme or something...somehow.:frown: I'm going to try to write a poem instead as I don't know the first thing about writing songs and I don't think he'll mind. I'll put down the information I've found thus far...

I have a question first though...when talking about oil, can I change that to petroleum? I mean, he gave us three sites to use but I'm not entirely sure if petroleum and oil are the exact same thing or if petroleum is a type of oil. Either way, two of the three sites he directed us two talk quite a bit about petroleum so I wanted to check first...

reservoir rock: Sometimes, the petroleum and natural gas would slowly fill the tiny holes within nearby porous rocks, which geologists call reservoir rocks.

water: oil is formed under wet conditions

heat/temperature & pressure: both are required to make oil

porosity/pores: oil gets trapped in pores

trap: oil gets trapped in pores

Physics news on Phys.org
Oil, in this context, is the same as petroleum.

What kind of assignment is this anyways?

I don't know but I don't know how I'm going to do it...I don't even know where to start.:cry: I have to figure something out though as my grade in Chemistry is pushing the limits and I've been working my butt off to bring it back up. Actually, I worked so hard that I caught up...but now I've hit a wall again.:grumpy:

water: oil is formed under wet conditions

You'll need to say why this is. Talk about what organisms make oil, and where they live.
http://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/systems/energy_capture/capture.html
Why else is water important? Think about what happens to oil or petrolium spilled on water, and why this is. Try to relate this to traps. which I've covered below.

heat/temperature & pressure: both are required to make oil
Try to say breifly why this is. What happens to the sediment after it is buried?
http://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/systems/maturation/maturation.html

trap: oil gets trapped in pores[/B]

Traps refer to geological structures that allow oil to build up in large quantities.
http://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/systems/traps/structural/structural.html#fault

If you need any more help, just ask.

Last edited:
Crude oil, liquid hydrocarbon
Liquid carbon and oxygen mix
Buried deep below the Earth's surface
Trapped by fault traps in the reservoir rocks
Trapped by impermeable rock

*Keeping track of the vocab words*:tongue:

sediments
decomposition
kerogen
pressure
permeable or permeability (he should take what I have down)
organic
reaction
reservoir rock
heat or temperature
hydrocarbons
carbon dioxide
burning
water
porosity or pores
trap

Could someone tell me if that's correct thus far? I've, basically, given up on it rhyming so nevermind that.:rofl:

Could someone explain to me what kerogen is? I've looked it up but am not really able to connect it to anything..."The hydrocarbon in oil shale." Shale?:confused:

Sounds good so far, but don't forget that hydrogen is also a constituent of a hydrocarbon.

Here is a definition of Kerogen:
kerogen

1. n. [Geology] ID: 300

The naturally occurring, solid, insoluble organic matter that occurs in source rocks and can yield oil upon heating
From here: http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/Display.cfm?Term=kerogen

A shale is a fine grained mud/clay based sedimentary rock. An oil shale refers to one that is a source rock for oil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale

Again, no rhyming so this kind of sounds like...eh...but, then again, how many songs rhyme all the time?:tongue:

Crude oil, liquid hydrocarbon
Liquid hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen mix
Burned deep below the Earth's surface
Trapped by fault traps in the reservoir rocks
Trapped by impermeable rocks
Is oil, formed by decomposed organic matter
Heated up and "pressured into" reacting
By sediments compacting
Squeezed into pores

If that's correct thus far, all I've got left is kerogen, water, and burning. Let's see...

Kerogen, insoluble organic matter
Not dissolved at all by water
Burning up, yields more oil

What is the impact of oil on the environment?

The use of oil has a significant impact on the environment. The extraction, transportation, and burning of oil contribute to air and water pollution, as well as the release of greenhouse gases. The spills and leaks from oil production and transportation can also harm ecosystems and wildlife. Overall, the use of oil contributes to climate change and other environmental issues.

How does the production of oil affect global economies?

The production of oil has a major impact on global economies. Many countries heavily rely on oil exports for economic growth and stability. The fluctuations in oil prices can also have a significant impact on the global economy. Additionally, the control and distribution of oil can lead to conflicts between nations and impact international relations.

What are the alternatives to using oil?

There are several alternatives to using oil, including renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power. Electric vehicles and public transportation are also viable alternatives to using oil for transportation. These alternatives are more sustainable and have less impact on the environment.

What are some benefits of using oil?

The use of oil has several benefits, including providing a reliable and affordable source of energy for various industries and households. Oil also plays a crucial role in the production of many everyday products, such as plastics, medicines, and cosmetics. It also provides job opportunities in the oil industry and supports the economies of oil-producing countries.

What are the potential consequences of depleting our oil reserves?

The depletion of our oil reserves can have severe consequences. It could lead to an energy crisis and significantly impact the global economy. As oil becomes scarcer, its prices will likely increase, making it less accessible for developing countries. The search for new oil reserves could also lead to further environmental damage and conflicts between nations. Therefore, it is essential to find sustainable alternatives to oil and reduce our reliance on it.