Write the subspace spanned by vectors as a kernel of a matrix.

In summary: S. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a matrix A with a kernel that is equal to a given vectorspace V. It is suggested that this can be done by choosing rows for the matrix that are perpendicular to the vectors that span V. It is also mentioned that this method may not be unique and an algorithm is needed to ensure that the kernel only contains the desired vectors. The proof for this method is discussed but further steps are needed to prove that the kernel does not contain any other vectors.
bobby2k
Hi

Lets say I have a vectorspace in Rn, that is called V.
V = span{v1,v2,... vk}

Is it then possible to create an m*n matrix A, whose kernel is V.
That is Ax = 0, x is a sollution if and only if x is an element of V.

Also if this is possible, I imagine that k may not b equal to m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, if it makes the question easier, we can assume that v1,...,vk is linerly independent.

bobby2k said:
Hi

Lets say I have a vectorspace in Rn, that is called V.
V = span{v1,v2,... vk}

Is it then possible to create an m*n matrix A, whose kernel is V.
That is Ax = 0, x is a sollution if and only if x is an element of V.

Also if this is possible, I imagine that k may not b equal to m?

bobby2k said:
Also, if it makes the question easier, we can assume that v1,...,vk is linerly independent.

Homework problem?

Mark44 said:
Homework problem?

Not really. In my book they talk about a column space for R3. It is obvious that the column space is spanned by two particular vectors([3,3,4] and [-1,-1,5]). But then they make the statement that the columnspace is those vectors who have the property that x1-x3 = 0, this is the same as saying the column space is the vectors who satisfy Av where A = [1 0 -1], so I am wondering how we can do this generally. That is, change the description of a vector space, from a spanning-set, to a Kernel. And if there is an algorithm for doing this.

Another way of asking is to compare with solving the equaion Bx =0. Then we can find vectors that span Null B. I want to go the opposite way, we have the vectors that span Null B, but I want to find the matrix B(I suspect this matrix may not be unique.).

Last edited:
The first thing I think that should be pointed out is that you aren't changing the description of a vector space in general, just giving a different way of describing vector subspaces of Rn. Obviously you can't define a vector space in general as the kernel of a linear transformation because a linear transformation doesn't make sense if you don't know what a vector space is already.

Anyway ,back to the task at hand, if my matrix B has rows b1,...,bm, then Bv = 0 means that v is perpendicular to each row of B. So a matrix for which B vj = 0 for each j has rows which are perpendicular to every vj, and then to make sure that the kernel does not have a larger subspace than you want you need to make sure B has enough rows in it - I'll let you think a bit on what procedure you can do to generate B algorithmically (it only requires a standard linear algebra result).

Office_Shredder said:
The first thing I think that should be pointed out is that you aren't changing the description of a vector space in general, just giving a different way of describing vector subspaces of Rn. Obviously you can't define a vector space in general as the kernel of a linear transformation because a linear transformation doesn't make sense if you don't know what a vector space is already.

Anyway ,back to the task at hand, if my matrix B has rows b1,...,bm, then Bv = 0 means that v is perpendicular to each row of B. So a matrix for which B vj = 0 for each j has rows which are perpendicular to every vj, and then to make sure that the kernel does not have a larger subspace than you want you need to make sure B has enough rows in it - I'll let you think a bit on what procedure you can do to generate B algorithmically (it only requires a standard linear algebra result).
Is this proof correct?, I have found a matrix, whose Kernel contains the spanning set, but I do not yet see how to prove that it does not contain any other vectors.

I assume that the vectors v1, vk are linerly independent.

If b is a row vector in B, then we must have

b*v1=0
b*v2=0
b*vk=0, where * is matrix multiplication(not dot-product)We can transpose this to.

(v1)'*b'=0
(vk)'*b'=0

And we can put it all together in a Matrix.

|v1...|
|v2...|
|...| * b' = 0(vector)
|...|
|vk...|

When we solve this we get n-k linerly independent b', because the rank of the matrix is k, and the rank-theorem gives dim Null(Matrix)=n-k.

So we can put these b row vectors together to form B, which is then (n-k)*n. And we have B*x =0(vector), if x is in span{v1,...,vk}.
But we also have to show that if vector is not in span{v1,..,vk} than Bx is not 0(vector).
To show this i can use contrapositive proof. That is if Bx=0(vector), then x is in span{v1,..,vk}.
This last part is where I get stuck, do you see how to proceed?

For this part I recommend considering the span of [itex] \left{ v_1,...,v_k, b_1,...,b_{n-k} \right} [/itex].

First extend the vectors ## \{ v_{1} v_{2} ... v_{k} \} ## to ## \{ v_{1} v_{2} ... v_{k} v_{k+1} ... v_{n} \} ##, a basis for ##ℝ^{n}##. Then define the following linear map ## T : ℝ^{n} → ℝ^{n} ## by the following operations on that basis:
## T(v_{1}) = 0 ##
## T(v_{2}) = 0 ##
## T(v_{k}) = 0 ##
## T(v_{k+1}) = v_{k+1} ##
## T(v_{n}) = v_{n} ##.

Then ##[T]_{β}## where ##β## is the standard ordered basis for ##ℝ^{n}## will have a kernel consisting of V. Try proving this result yourself.

BiP

Last edited:

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains vectors that can be multiplied by scalars and added together to produce another vector within the same space.

2. How is a subspace spanned by vectors?

A subspace is spanned by vectors when every vector in the subspace can be expressed as a linear combination of those vectors.

3. What does it mean for a matrix to have a kernel?

The kernel of a matrix is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector when multiplied by the matrix. In other words, it is the null space of the matrix.

4. How is the subspace spanned by vectors related to the kernel of a matrix?

The subspace spanned by vectors is equivalent to the kernel of a matrix when the vectors are used as columns in the matrix. This means that the vectors can be multiplied by the matrix to produce the zero vector, thus creating a subspace.

5. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have multiple bases. Any set of vectors that span the subspace can be considered a basis. However, all bases for the same subspace will have the same number of vectors.