Writing a book and I need some facts if you'd be so kind.

In summary, EMP releases EM radiation that induces voltages and currents in conductors, but most flora and fauna are not affected unless the EMP is extremely strong. EMP shielding is a real concept and is used extensively in the U.S. military, but discussions about EMP are not allowed on this forum due to their illegality and danger.
Badhorsesmare
So I've done a little research on EMP and I know how they disable electronics, but I don't quite understand the aftermath.
If planet 'A' gets hit with a MASSIVE pulse, or several less massive pulses, would flora and fauna be directly affected?
All the electronics present on 'A' would undoubtedly be broken, (would they explode?) but would the EMP make it impossible to rebuild the technology?

I know that several TV shows (*cringes* sorry) talk about EMP shielding, is that a real concept or is it already in use?

I'm not really physics smart so I apologize if any of these questions seem ridiculous to ask.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
An EMP releases EM radiation that induces voltages and currents in conductors. Most flora and fauna aren't good conductors and wouldn't be affected unless the EMP is unrealistically strong. EMP shielding is real and is used extensively in the U.S. military. The shielding can be something as simple as a faraday cage around a device or can be as complicated as a fully shielded building with filters, spark gaps, and a plethora of other protective methods.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Badhorsesmare said:
So I've done a little research on EMP and I know how they disable electronics, but I don't quite understand the aftermath.
If planet 'A' gets hit with a MASSIVE pulse, or several less massive pulses, would flora and fauna be directly affected?
All the electronics present on 'A' would undoubtedly be broken, (would they explode?) but would the EMP make it impossible to rebuild the technology?

I know that several TV shows (*cringes* sorry) talk about EMP shielding, is that a real concept or is it already in use?

I'm not really physics smart so I apologize if any of these questions seem ridiculous to ask.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Welcome to the PF.

Since EMP use is both illegal and dangerous, we do not generally allow discussions about it here on the PF. Drakkith's reply should give you what you want for your book. I'm also going to move this thread to the Science Fiction Book Forum, and leave it locked.

1. What are the benefits of writing a book?

Writing a book can have many benefits, such as:

• Personal fulfillment and satisfaction
  • Sharing your thoughts, ideas, and knowledge with others
  • Building your credibility and expertise in a particular subject
  • Opportunities for networking and collaborations
  • Potential for earning income through royalties or speaking engagements

2. How long does it take to write a book?

The time it takes to write a book can vary greatly depending on several factors, such as the length and complexity of the book, the writer's experience and writing speed, and the amount of research required. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a few years to write a book.

3. What are some tips for staying motivated while writing a book?

Some tips for staying motivated while writing a book include:

• Setting achievable goals and deadlines
  • Taking breaks and pacing yourself
  • Joining a writing group or finding an accountability partner
  • Rewarding yourself for milestones and progress
  • Remembering your purpose and the impact your book could have

4. Do I need an editor to write a book?

While it is possible to write a book without an editor, it is highly recommended to work with one. An editor can provide valuable feedback and help improve the overall quality of your book. They can also catch any spelling or grammar errors and ensure your book is polished and professional.

5. How can I get my book published?

There are several ways to get a book published, including:

• Traditional publishing through a publishing house
  • Self-publishing through a platform such as Amazon
  • Working with a literary agent to help secure a publishing deal
  • Entering writing contests or submitting to literary magazines
  • Building a following and publishing through a blog or social media platform
It is important to research and carefully consider your options to find the best fit for your book.